Taking care of our health/bodies... a beauty thread.

Options
(Feel free to move if this is in the wrong area).

I'm wondering if other people have experienced a desire to take care of their body as they lose weight?

I've never really been disciplined with exfoliating or moisturizing but as I get into better shape and start feeling better I've seen an increased desire to take better care of my hair/skin.

So for those of you who are beauty nuts, what type of makeup/body/face products do you like?

I went to Nordstrom today and had a full skin assessment done and spent way too much money on Clinique (but I deserve it!). I have uuuber sensitive skin and their mascara and eye makeup remover is the only stuff I can stand, so I figured the rest of their skincare line would be a safe bet.

I also bought a MAC lipstick (shocking!!) and told my husband I wanted makeup brushes for Christmas.

What is WRONG with me? Next I'll do something silly like buy a pair of high heels!

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with you, the better I eat - the better I feel. The better I feel and look, the more I want to take care of my body. One big thing that I've noticed is that by eating clean and drinking a lot of water, my skin looks great so I really don't need makeup. I still use some bronzer and eyeliner, but I try to keep it minimal.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    yep it's me too..I just bought some new make up ( love Hard Candy brand)...and some new brushes. Also OI with the clothes shopping. Now that I can wear the cute layered look I want Mudd tee- shirts in every color they have at at like $5.99 ...what's to stop me?
  • jeslyn2360
    Options
    I think it's normal. You feel pretty, which should always be celebrated. A new pair of shoes, a new outfit or good cosmetics always do the trick for me. I love Clinique brushes by the way! Make-up brushes are totally worth the investment, you well tell a huge difference in your make-up when you apply it properly and use a good brush. It also helps you use less product. I use to work at Clinique, I miss playing with make-up all day!
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    I've been going thru that we well. I read about using coconut in your hair. I have naturally curly hair so I decided one night to put it in my hair and leave it for about 30 minutes. Washed it out and air dried it. Next morning when I went to wash and dry my hair, my curls were amazing!! So many people at work noticed and commented how pretty and shiny and great curls I had! So awesome!!! So I plan on doing that twice a week.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have pretty sensitive skin too. At the moment I'm cleansing and moisturising with cetaphil and have started using a couple of drops of rosehip oil everyday just before moisturising. I've also started taking flaxseed oil supplements. My skin broke out in a really weird rash with redness and a lot of dryness but after a few days of using all this it's cleared up completely. The foundation I'm using is L'Oreal True Match Minerals, which is pretty messy but it has good coverage, is fairly cheap, and doesn't irritate my skin. I was using the Revlon New Complexion Compact but I have a feeling this was the reason my skin has been so screwed up over the past few months.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    I definitely agree with you, the better I eat - the better I feel. The better I feel and look, the more I want to take care of my body. One big thing that I've noticed is that by eating clean and drinking a lot of water, my skin looks great so I really don't need makeup. I still use some bronzer and eyeliner, but I try to keep it minimal.

Agree. The more water I drink, the better I feel and look, and have silky smooth skin. Jergen's Healthy Glow. Use it every day on my face, neck, upper chest, and shoulders -- you know, the exposed areas. Like you, I also keep makeup minimal -- mascara, that's it.
  • Jargarita
    Jargarita Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week I use a vitamin e cap as a face moisturizer over night and it leaves my skin soso stunning. You could also try olive oil to remove makeup, it shouldn't irritate sensitive skin.

You can save some money by signing up on makeup sites and keep an eye on your email for sale alerts, there is also a blog called Temptalia that lists the sales every week and she has very in depth makeup reviews. (I love Urban Decay and they have amazing sales sometimes!) When you get the makeup brushes make sure to wash them! Clean brushes help makeup last longer :D
  • cwade1021
    cwade1021 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Very good to know about the makeup brushes!! Thanks!
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of exfoliating and moisturizing too, trying to keep my skin in good shape as I lose weight. I just bought almond and coconut scrubs from the Body Shop. I love them. My skin has never felt so good.
  • DimaDeridovich
    Options
    I am also appreciate the working strategy followed by the makeup brushes it is an outrageous.

http://www.elishea.com
  • jenneal89
    Options
    I've always been the 'froo froo queen' as my mother says. I do my fake tan regularly, exfoliate, and always apply lotion right after I shower, floss daily, wash my face 2x day, etc etc etc. moisturising is great for your skn and it doesn't have to be expensive. I've actually found that the cheaper facial cleansers and moisturisers work better than the 'high end' products after reading an article about it and trying it out. Have you ever tried Ponds cold cream? It isn't just for little old ladies! Lol it's great. I think the article was ask beauty or something. You can search for it online. Its good to take good care of yourself. Get a body brush and use it daily. It will stimulate circulation and aid in detoxing/weight loss. Also try garnier bb cream for sensitive skin. It's really good. It's a moisturiser, foundation, and sunscreen. I usually don't like tinted lotion or liquid foundation but am in love with this!
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes, most definetly. :bigsmile:

Before my weightloss I never bought clothes for my self or anything like that, just food to binge on..

I wore clothes that my parents got me, baggy clothes that made me look even more unattractive, until they all got holes in them and what not. I did not always bother shaving myself and all.
    but all that has changed and boy am I gratefull that I have finally woken up!!

After I reached halfway through my weightloss with 16 lbs lost I gradually became a happier, healthier and prettier young woman.
    I changed my mentality little by little every single day and began treating myself like the princess I was (dont laugh, it was part of the "loving yourself" procces :embarassed: )

anyway, I thought to myself why dont you dress like a woman instead of a caveman, why dont you eat like a woman instead of a pig etc etc.

I began using my money to buy brand new nice dresses and trousers, new underwear all that. in stead of using it on binges!! wow! What a complete difference after that. I got a new haircut, began removing hair all the time etc. Taking care of my hands and using handcreme etc.

just the difference wearing clothes that suit me made me so much more confident and happy

I am so gratefull for this journey (even though its tough at times) :heart: :heart:

I have gained so many new positivee things. :blushing: :blushing:
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, I love me some beauty products!

I have acne, so I can't play around too much with my skin care products.

I'm sure whoever owns stock in Sephora would cry and scream if I ever stopped having interest in makeup! I like Urban Decay stuff quite a bit. Check out the Naked and Naked2 eyeshadow palettes if you haven't already. Glorious!

I use WEN on my dry, coarse hair and it make it smooth and soft. I get that from QVC and not from the infomercial. It's cheaper.
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am always looking for new pals on this site to build an even stronger supportsystem
    so anyone who wants, may add me. :embarassed:

:flowerforyou:
  • magnolia_ah
    magnolia_ah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i'm using olive oil everynight ..and scrub once a week .. now i have amazing skin :)