Losing weight but can't seem to see a difference physically?

Options
So, earlier this year I lost about 65 lbs (from about 270+ down to 205lbs). And before you ask how I did it in a month in a half--I had pharyngitis and was hospitalized. I was miserable and inevitably gained some of it back in the following months. I couldn't tell a difference in myself physically then, nor can I now.

I recently started to consciously lose weight, the right way, with proper diet and exercise (and they help of MFP). In the last two and a half weeks or so I have dropped about 15 lbs. Everyone I know is constantly telling me how good I look and complimenting me and motivating me to keep on with what I have been doing...since it's apparently working. HOWEVER, when I look in the mirror, or look at my before and after picture that I have posted on here in my pictures, I really see the same person. I don't feel like I look any thinner or any different at all, really. I mean, I can feel down my sides and without looking, I can tell that my nasty, stubborn back fat has been going down a lot, but when I see myself, I still see the 270+ pound girl staring back at me with those piggy eyes.

I've started to lose faith and I feel like I'll always be this super fat girl that no one will ever want, nor will I ever respect myself or meet my goals.

Help? Suggestions? Anything??

Replies

• SandyCheeks2
    SandyCheeks2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!! I know personally I have moments where I think I haven't loss any weight and look the same but then I just have to take a step back and I look at my old pictures or I try on the clothes I just bought and realize that I wouldn't look or be able to wear that if I hadn't put in the effort and keep going. It's a tough battle and I think part of it is chaining your mindset with positivity! The people around you wouldn't be telling you you look great if it wasn't true! Keep going on and as you lose weight make sure you keep positive and realize each day your getting closer to your goal!
  • ks5392
    ks5392 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I'm trying. And I feel a lot better. But I think there's just something mentally wrong with me. Like I just can't see myself for what I really look like....like my mind just puts in place the fatty I used to be. I mean, 15 pounds in two weeks is a lot so I know I've been losing weight. Plus none of my shirts fit at all. I actually thought as "motivation" I would buy a t-shirt one size smaller than what I normally wear, but when I got home to try it on and see how much work I needed to do, it already fit! With a little extra room in the belly area, too.
  • GabeSpain
    GabeSpain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All you can do is stay dedicated, motivated, and keep working harder. Losing weight takes a lot of hard work and an incredible amount of patience. It literally took me 2 years of intense exercise and dieting before I actually started noticing a difference in my body physically, and I still have some work left to go. Each person is different when it comes to losing weight, yet you have no choice but to stay dedicated, be VERY patient, work hard, and keep at it!!! Good luck!!!
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is weird.
  • ks5392
    ks5392 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I have some great friends to help me along the way. As well as some very good "rewards" for reaching my goals.

And not only that, but the working out bit and eating better has helped A LOT with my long-term depression that I've been fighting since I was 13 (or younger, it's hard to say). If that's not enough motivation to have me keep at it, I don't know WHAT is. :D
  • michelleindeed
    michelleindeed Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was told by people at work that I look like I've been losing weight, but I don't really see it at all. I suppose it'll show when I lose more. Who knows. Either way I feel better, so that's certainly something.
  • judicialjedi
    judicialjedi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I have lost 40 lbs using MFP and I have gone down in sizes in my clothes, but when I look in the mirror, I actually feel like I look fatter than before. I will tell you, what I tell myself, it's all in your head. It's easy to lose faith in yourself, that's how most of us got into this situation to begin with. All I can tell you is keep your eye on the goal.