Camping food

Options
So I am going camping this weekend like alot of people Im sure, and I was wondering what are some foods you will bring camping with you to stay on track? I've been doing really well and dont want to screw it up. I have to get pretty creative because all we'll have is a fire pit.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You can cook a lot of healthy foods over the fire pit...especially if you have bush pie makers or those burger basket things. You can cook anything over a fire. I bring a lot of water, lots of veggies, eggs, yogurt and my kashi cereal, chicken, nuts, fruit, fixings for wraps, and I do eat smokies. I love a good smokie over the camp fire :smile:
  • lelupa1
    lelupa1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Camping (for me) is easy...
    You can make foil pockets (meat, potato, yam onion carrot etc) and put them on the fire.
    Can make skewers (again if you are a meat eater meat, veggies and fruit)
    Google camping deserts...there is a baked banana in foil that is delish and can be modified to be more healthy.

Sometimes I pre cook food and all Ihave to do is re-heat it in a pot.
    Pre boil eggs, they travel great and are easy to eat sans fork etc.

Gah, now I am having a brain block and can not think of the other stuff we cook.
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    turkey breast or chicken breast and 100% whole wheat bread for sandwiches and I know jennie-o has some decently healthy hot dogs if u wanna roast sumin:) also look for some healthy trail mix (organic or anything w/o hydrogenated oils cuz alot have them) nuts like almonds, macadamia etc skip the m&m's, and bring some string cheeses (theres low fat) n fruit in the cooler too apples oranges whateva, and for veggies the only ones I'd like to eat cold are cucumber, spinach, jicama, and sometimes baby carrots :D have fun!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Oh ya...foiled veggies over the fire...yum! We do that quite often too.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I went through this as well. You can google several great options and make ahead recipes. Plan for the weather as well since if its raining you will probably not be cooking over the fire pit.

Here are a list of some things I took with me

-A small blender (I took it to the bathroom to blend protein shakes and walked it back to camp...maybe strange, but whatever keeps you on track right?)
    -raw almonds or trail mix
    -oatmeal (not hard to boil water over the firepit for coffee and oats at the same time)
    -veges that could be cut and cooled last minute like cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers
    -sandwhich thins
    -lunch meat or peanut butter
    - fiber one bars
    -marshmellows (try to avoid the whole smore, but roast a couple mallows guilt free)
    -individual 8oz silk soy milks (these are sold in the organics area on the shelf and do not need to be refrigerated)
    -frigo string cheese

most of these are snack sort of foods. You will have to do some planning for dinners over the fire like hobo stews and such. You can actually prep these in advance at home and wrap in tinfoil and then just plop them over the fire when you are ready.

Hope this gives you a good start
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    my camping food list is rather different... but then I am usually hiking long distances... and have to carry it so I want the most nutritional bang for the least weight... take a lot of tuna pouches... ready to eat rice... ramen cups... ritz crackers... sometimes I take carrots for crunch... but they are not very calorie dense ;)
  • ChelsoBee
    ChelsoBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have added a little bit of everything to my list for the weekend.