A little frustrated...

Options
I've been using MFP since June 21, and have only lost 10 lbs. I'm working out like crazy (700 cal. average workouts cardio PLUS weight training), my calorie intake is supposed to be 1440 to lose 1.5 lbs. per week. I do exceed cals. 2-3 times a week about 100-200 cals., but nothing drastic, but the bottom line is....I feel like I'm starving, always hungry. I DON'T eat junk food, am a whole-grain fruits/vegs. eater, non-alcoholic, so what's up? My husband says I look great, but to me 10 POUNDS is not enough for the effort I'm putting forth. At this rate, I'll never reach goal weight-another 30 lbs. (153, I'm 5'6", 183 right now)

Any thoughts? Am I working out a little too much? Need to be more strict on calories?

Replies

• splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP since June 21, and have only lost 10 lbs. I'm working out like crazy (700 cal. average workouts cardio PLUS weight training), my calorie intake is supposed to be 1440 to lose 1.5 lbs. per week. I do exceed cals. 2-3 times a week about 100-200 cals., but nothing drastic, but the bottom line is....I feel like I'm starving, always hungry. I DON'T eat junk food, am a whole-grain fruits/vegs. eater, non-alcoholic, so what's up? My husband says I look great, but to me 10 POUNDS is not enough for the effort I'm putting forth. At this rate, I'll never reach goal weight-another 30 lbs. (153, I'm 5'6", 183 right now)

Any thoughts? Am I working out a little too much? Need to be more strict on calories?

10 lbs is good.
    You might need to eat a little more. Eat your excercise cals back. MFP already has you at a deficit.
    Eat plenty of proteins. Fish,chicken,eggs etc. This and eating enough will help with the hunger..
    It's great that you don't eat junk food. But... Uh huh, but, this could be why you feel so much like it's not worth it. A treat here and there is fine. If it is food triggers you are worried about then o.k. But, if you are going cold turkey to lose weight, then I encourage you to have a treat here and there.
    You need a rest day from excercise. Possibly two.
    You WILL get there. The slow path is the sure path. Take your time and don't make it something you hate. I hope this helps you some.

Oh yea. Scales are crazy. husband says you look good? Try a measuring tape instead. AND, When you lift heavy, I hear that your muscles retain water ( inflamation) untill they heal and this can appear to be weight gain. So, you could actually weigh even less.:wink:
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What's your TDEE? You sound just like myself with your calories burn....I workout a lot. I was super hungry before MFP. I'm eating 2200-2300 calories a day now. My BMR is 1555 around there. Check your numbers.. You should be eating 20% below TDEE. Go to
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like your eating enough
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    So you've lost about 5 pounds a month? That's not bad at all. With only 40lbs to lose, a good goal for you is 1-2lbs a week. Sounds like you're right on track :huh:

But also, listen to what the above poster said.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The first 6 weeks I was on here, I didn't lose a single pound. I was doing workouts a lot like you- big burns and strength training. But in that time my body was changing significantly. I lost several inches in my waist, which was the most important to me, and all over there were changes. So I stuck with it, despite the very frustrating scale. All of a sudden, I had what people describe as a "woosh" weight loss- like 6lbs in a week or something. It was crazy and didn't make any sense at the time. Since then, I've lost a consistent 1 to 1.5 lbs a week (occasionally even 2!). Your time will come if you stick with the program!

Just make sure you're eaing enough to support your workouts, and the scale will catch up!
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    you are moving forward at the perfect rate
  • michalspainting
    michalspainting Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The replies were very helpful...especially the info. about water retention in muscles after weight training, I do notice a rebound effect...I seem heavier right after a workout and that lasts for almost a day, then I look a little smaller. I don't work out every day, every other day, but I try some physical exercise aimed at weight loss every day, like a brisk walk or some home floor pushups or situps.

MFP is AWESOME!!
  • michalspainting
    michalspainting Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know what TDEE is, I'll check out the link you added here, thanks!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options