"i'm having a hard time eating 1200 calories..."

Options
Maybe I am just a pig, but I think keeping to 1200 calories is tough.

I workout hard every day. It's been a struggle lately to stay at or below 1200-1500 calories and I wonder if that is why I am not really losing. I am 5'4 138 lb right now and would love to get down to 125. I haven't missed a day of spin in nearly a month and I swim probably 3-4 days a week on top of spin and usually do light weights/push-ups/sit-ups in the morning.

What do you eat where you find it difficult to get TO 1200 calories?

Replies

• ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If your working out that much I'd say u definitely need more than 1200.
    Buti can see why some people struggle to get to 1200 on certain days ( definitely not every day though)
    Try your self going a day just eating fresh fruit and veg and salad with no condiments or anything .. 1200 cals of that is a huge volume of food .
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    As much working out as you are doing, you probably need to be netting about 1600 a day not 1200. MANY people here, myself included, got over a plateau when we upped our calories and ate more.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to only eat 1200 calories. It's different to NET 1200 calories when you work out.. That gives me a lot more wiggle room and extra food.. More like 1500 and above.

Two cups of spring mix (which is quite a plate full) is only 20 calories. I could have a lunch under 200 calories easily. Eating lots of fruits and veggies keeps your calories down while keeping you full and providing good nutrients.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    ^ what she said!
  • ceeana
    ceeana Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yup; eat lots and lots of fruits and veggies.

Heres an idea:
    A fun salad with spring mix (mix of different lettuces), fruit (strawberries, blueberries, mangos), a hint of protein (tofu, chicken, nuts), and a spoonful of cottage cheese.. YUM

Also snack ideas:
    rasperries, edamame hummus, baby carrots, SMALL amount of nuts

Breakfast ideas:
    oatmeal, yogurt

Easy Switches:
    regular milk --> soy milk (a lot fewer calories)
    bean dip --> hummus (edamame hummus)
    chips ---> roasted sea weed, carrots,
    candy --> frozen fruit! (grapes, blue berries)
    Hope this helps!
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    try oatmeal, it's filling and nutritious and low calorie. also make sure you are getting enough fiber. if you are exercising that much, i don't see why you're not losing weight. maybe you could try a biotin supplement. it's vitamin b and supports proper metabolism.

disclaimer: these are just suggestions from a fellow dieter i am by no means an expert in any way whatsoever.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Protein helps.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary, Ive been on mfp for 150 days and I eat 1200 calories every day
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Heres an idea:
    A fun salad with spring mix (mix of different lettuces), fruit (strawberries, blueberries, mangos), a hint of protein (tofu, chicken, nuts), and a spoonful of cottage cheese.. YUM

Also snack ideas:

Breakfast ideas:
    oatmeal, yogurt

Easy Switches:
    Hope this helps!

thank you! i will try your suggestions.

i eat a ton fruits and vegetables right now, but they just don't satiate me. i feel like a ravenous pig sometimes when i get home from my day. i am doing everything in my power to keep my dinners to 250-400 cals, which usually means chicken breast or egg whites with veggies (my go to all week).

thank you to everyone - i know there are some things i need to do differently, but man...i wish my problem was trying to scour to eat 1200 calories. haha. oink oink.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Heres an idea:

Also snack ideas:

Breakfast ideas:
    oatmeal, yogurt

Easy Switches:
    Hope this helps!

Yum I love roasted seaweed,
    For people that aren't used to it though be very careful switching completely to soy milk. It can cause issues for lots of people.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am just a pig, but I think keeping to 1200 calories is tough.

I workout hard every day. It's been a struggle lately to stay at or below 1200-1500 calories and I wonder if that is why I am not really losing. I am 5'4 138 lb right now and would love to get down to 125. I haven't missed a day of spin in nearly a month and I swim probably 3-4 days a week on top of spin and usually do light weights/push-ups/sit-ups in the morning.

What do you eat where you find it difficult to get TO 1200 calories?

Take a look at my diary. Up until today, I was at a 1200 calorie diet and I stayed there. I never got hungry, and I never lost energy. But I do a lot of cooking, fruit washing, and I plan ALL my meals in advance so they are balanced. Take a peak. If you need ideas, I can help you; but I am a clean eater so you will have to eat only fresh foods.

13 lbs is doable if you do it right.
  • katie81smith
    katie81smith Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Can someone take a look at my diary please and help me... I have aways struggled with anorexia n now im obese. I have a very hard time eating anything more than once a day. Im new to the mfp and im very worried about peoples hatred for not eating. I am here for help in my weight loss journey and feel that im failing misserably.... Help please.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Did you eat over 1200 calories a day before joining mfp? I imagine you did. Why is it so hard now? Because you are eating lower calorie foods? Eat more healthy fats. Eat more often. This is not a real problem.
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Heres an idea:

Also snack ideas:

Breakfast ideas:
    oatmeal, yogurt

Easy Switches:
    Hope this helps!

love all of these!

Easy Switches:
    regular milk --> soy milk (a lot fewer calories) --> Almond milk is the BEST
    chips ---> roasted sea weed, carrots, --> Air popped popcorn is a good swap too!
    candy --> frozen fruit! (grapes, blue berries) ---> forzen Bananas are super Yum too! check out this recipe for frozen Banana ice cream (careful with the add ins!) http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2012/08/non-dairy-ice-cream.html
  • katie81smith
    katie81smith Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Im now forcing myself to eat. Im eating more now than I have in years.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Did you eat over 1200 calories a day before joining mfp? I imagine you did. Why is it so hard now? Because you are eating lower calorie foods? Eat more healthy fats. Eat more often. This is not a real problem.
    Not what her post says.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

it's hard to eat 1200 or below. i could eat 3000 calories in a day no problem. which IS a real problem.

thanks to everyone! i need to get better about logging too (again, i know i know) and eating at home. full time school/work/working out has been killing me - i eat a lot of salads from restaurants (wildflower, paradise bakery, etc) that can be 600 calories+. i generally burn between 500 and 1000 calories a day, but i usually eat them back. i am always hungry.
    which is surprising too - i am not eating out of boredom, it's when i am physically hungry. weird.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    if you are exercising that much, i don't see why you're not losing weight. maybe you could try a biotin supplement. it's vitamin b and supports proper metabolism.

disclaimer: these are just suggestions from a fellow dieter i am by no means an expert in any way whatsoever.
    She is already assuming a reasonably large deficit from restricting calories in the neighborhood of 800 calories below predicted TDEE. At such a steep deficit from dietary intake, you absolutely do not want to match that by doing a ton of cardio - especially at her build of 5'4" and 138 lbs with not much body fat to lose as a goal.
  • Kroberts67
    Options
    You might try one meal replacement shake, maybe for your breakfast. I do 2 a day and add fresh veggies/fruits for meals and lately i've been trying to not cook. I stay away from anything processed (other than my almond milk). I use unsweetened almond or coconut milk in my shakes and when I have some crackers or something bad once in a while it goes away fast. To avoid pigging out when I get home from work, starving, I have a protein shake before I leave work... that' saves me! Then I just have a small dinner, usually some veggies. Tonight I had a whole cantelope. LOL oh well.

If you opt for meal replacement shakes, do your research. Make sure they are the right one... I use Sun Warrior, i trust them and it tastes good. I throw a scoop of choc powder, a frozen banana, 1 cup almond milk and some water (around 200 calories). Sometimes a few nuts. There are tons of veggie smoothies you could also do, the protein shake I make I find easy though, I freeze the bananas in ziplocks or baggies so they are easy to grab when I'm in a hurry. Gives me nutrients and fills me up, and it gives me my sweet tooth satisfaction! Last year I Lost 25 lbs by doing two shakes a day, but one a day just might solve your problem. Be sure to get lots of fresh fruits/veggies! The more fresh uncooked veggies you eat, the easier to lose weight!
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/711824-some-of-the-reasons-why-people-don-t-lose

Try reading that post. It is helpful to me and it may be for you too. Best of luck!