Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Anti-Inflammatory Diet

Options
Did you know there are about 80 different inflammatory diseases? (diabetes, cholesterol, thyroid, lupus, MS, GERD among them...)

I have 3 three of them: thyroid, gastritis, and MS. I started this food plan 2 weeks ago on the advice of my chiropractor (who is also a nutritionist), and I've been having GREAT success! 7 lbs in 2 weeks. I've only needed a Zegrid twice for my stomach ... all because I cheated and ate something that was spicy, deep fried, and had peppers in it.

The abbreviated version:

No milk or cheese, and no soy or almond milk either. Coconut milk is okay.
No breads, pastas, rice, corn, or soy products (I have had gluten-free bread)
No high-glycemic index foods: watermelon, pineapple, mango
No nuts.
No tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, or mushrooms.
No coffee or sodas.

What's left, right?

Yes! to all fish, chicken, pork, and beef
Yes! to all other fruits
Yes! to all other veggies
Yes! to hemp, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds.
Yes! to sweet potato fries!
Yes! to eggs
Yes! to coconut ice cream
Yes! to herbal tea

The first week was the hardest. Going out, I just order the chicken or fish, with "no rice, double-veggies." I also refuse to be hungry, so I keep my fruit bowl full of things I can eat any time.

Do you have similiar issues? What have you found success in?

Replies

• ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    This sounds like a stricter version of Paleo, including the restriction of nightshades. I'm glad you found something that works and I understand reasons behind all those restrictions except for one. Why no nuts?
  • chumpherys
    Options
    I'm actually not sure why no nuts. I know they can be a source of allergies. Is there a gluten issue with them? This diet is specifically to help with stomach issues. Tomatoes and peppers trigger heartburn for me. MS and Lupus patients aren't suppose to eat mushrooms and sprouts. Pineapple, mango and watermelon are high glycemic foods. Many MS'ers claim success on Paleo.

After 30 days, I'm going to try introducing a few of the foods back into my diet one at a time to see if I can identify any "trigger" foods. I also just had my D levels, B12, and thyroid tested, along with celiac's.

It's a journey ...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not sure why no nuts. I know they can be a source of allergies.

most fats in nuts are omega 6's, which can be also be inflammatory.
  • mulcahya
    mulcahya Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Gluten is not an issue until it enters the intestines - doesn't affect the stomach itself.

Perhaps talk to your doctor as well about starting a new diet?

Glad you're having success though!
  • mq68
    mq68 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    No breads, pastas, rice, corn, or soy products (I have had gluten-free bread) * most gf products have either brown rice or some variation of rice and/or corn.

Yes! to sweet potato fries! *some of these that are gf may have corn starch (modified), or rice flour. :grumble:
    Yes! to coconut ice cream * love!

Do you have similiar issues? What have you found success in?
    [/quote]

I was gf for 9 months with no weight loss but felt better. Then only to find out I am also allergic to rice, corn and eggs. However, after completely removing these from my diet also, I lost 20 pounds in 2 months. And I had more energy, and my stomach did not hurt anymore. :smile:

I just joined MFP. com and am in full swing of my work out mode. I have always worked out but would not get any results because even though my diet was healthy, it was not healthy for me.

Good Luck!
  • mq68
    mq68 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    oops, also allergic to oats...
  • JoDC1
    JoDC1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This sounds like paleo diet, I'm a coliac it's really easy to follow & you don't feel hungry
  • chumpherys
    Options
    My Sweet Potato Fries are homemade, pretty healthy, and super easy!

Cut your uncooked sweet potato up. I leave the skins on.
    Spray a cookie sheet down with spray olive oil
    Single layer the sweet potato slices
    Spray again with Olive Oil
    Season to taste
    Broil until done.
  • chumpherys
    Options
    I did talk to my GP about the diet, she's totally on board with it, and is running a series of blood work on me -- D, B12, Celiac's, and T1/T2 for Hashimoto's -- in support of the direction I'm going.

I also take vitamin D3 5,000 IU and Krill oil daily for my MS, a Magnesium powder supplement, and a 200 mcg of Synthroid for my thyroid.

I see my MS doctor in another month. Seeing this is so close to Paleo, is all about eating fresh fruits and veggies, and cutting out the refined and processed foods ... he'll be thrilled.