scosche wireless "my trek" heart rate monitor

Options
I saw an ad in a magazine for a Scosche MyTrek wireless heart rate monitor. Basically, it wraps around your forearm and sends your HR to your iPhone (soon to be android too). It's sold at Target and other locations for about $125. I'm curious if anyone has any opinion on them. I just hate the thought of the chest straps like other HR monitors because they don't fit larger people and it would get all sweaty..yuck!

Replies

• 603d
    603d Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1) I've heard good things about them. 2) they're now $50 so I picked one up today. It may be a while before I use it though... I work out rarely =(
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of it before this post, but I just checked out the website to look over what it is and how it works. My two cents:

1. You can’t actively see your heart rate during the workout unless you pull your phone out and pull up the app to check it.
    2. It’s going get sweaty even though it’s on your arm. If your arm isn’t getting sweaty, then your heart rate probably isn’t high enough to need the monitor anyway. ;)
    3. The chest straps are super comfortable. They make them in sizes that fit people on those weight loss shows, so I’m guessing they go pretty big. And I’ve been thankful that they’re waterproof and supposed to be rinsed for the number of times I’ve worn the chest strap into the shower by accident because I forgot it was on.
    4. Personally, I find armbands super uncomfortable because they never seem to stay in place and end up itching once I get sweaty. I gave up on armbands for my phone awhile back and just make sure that all of my workout bottoms have pockets to carry it.
    5. It will have to be placed very specifically for the heart rate diodes to be sure to pick up your pulse properly, and make sure it doesn’t get bumped or move around at all while you’re working out. Instead of the couple inches of space a chest strap has for it’s surface area for the pulse, this is just two small little diodes, so there’s little room for error on placement.

These are just my opinions based on what I read on the website, so if anyone actually has one, I would be curious to hear/read their opinion about the product IRL. Especially from anyone that could compare it to an HRM with a chest strap.
  • sharon1dunne
    Options
    I have never heard of it either. Agree with above poster, chest straps are super comfy... I have a Polar watch/chest strap it gives you accurate results.

Worth the money.
  • RooMcDermott
    RooMcDermott Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have one of these and just today did a comparison between that and my Timex HRM with a chest strap. The two were identical in my heart rate and calories burned. The scosche fits nicely on my arm and communicates by blue tooth to my Iphone. The app for the Iphone is free and you can set up different work outs. That being said--it's a huge battery hog.

I love the fact that it communicates wirelessly with my phone and now that I know the Heart Rate is the same as my Timex HRM I am comfortable using it.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This is the main problem that you will run into. Say goodbye to your battery life.
    That being said--it's a huge battery hog.