Finding love = Gaining weight

Options
Has this happened to anyone???? When I met my boyfriend, almost 5 years ago, I weighed 140. Now I weigh 225 ( 230 before I started this). That's almost 100 pounds of weight I gained. It took only 2 years for me to gain that much weight. I went from a size 9-10 to a 18-20. My boyfriend has not complained or said anything about my weight gain. He loves me just the same but I feel like I'm not the same person I was when we meet bc of my weight.

Has this happened to anyone else??

Replies

• Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    yup! ive dated the same guy twice in the past few years and the last time i dated him i gained 20-25 pounds and lost 30 after we broke up....this time i moved in with him and gained almost 35 pounds before i decided to do something about it. ouch.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone???? When I met my boyfriend, almost 5 years ago, I weighed 140. Now I weigh 225 ( 230 before I started this). That's almost 100 pounds of wight I gained. It took only 2 years for me to gain that much weight. I went from a size 9-10 to a 18-20. My boyfriend has not complained or said anything about my weight gain. He loves me just the same but I feel like I'm not the same person I was when we meet bc of my wight.

Has this happened to anyone else??

Yes, it happened to me through a variety of things. When we started dating it always involved dinner and drinks. a bit of a gain, buying a house together and having someone to have a few drinks with in the evening....more gain. Got married and had 3 kids in 4 years...lots of weight. Now the my youngest will be 8 this year it is time to take care of me a bit.
  • safiresp04
    Options
    One of the best things that's happened to me is meeting mine. We've been together almost a year and we're both passionate about being healthy & losing weight. We've actually lost weight since we got together! If you're in it together, it makes eating healthy and getting out and being active easy.
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! I went from 140 to 180 in two years. Now I am going on 1 year of losing and have lots more to lose
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Uh, yeah. The summer before I started dating my bf (the summer we met), I weighed about 200 (right after losing 40#). I started dating him at about 225. 3 years trying to keep up with how much he was eating left me over 270. He was left at about 220 (he was about 180 when we started dating).
    Now I'm down to 222. He's back down to 206 without trying just because I'm cooking healthier.

He never once complained when I was gaining weight. But now that I'm losing it, all I hear is *sad puppy dog face* "...your butt is getting smaller..."
    I had previously determined he's an *kitten* man, but I know he's joking about being sad mine is smaller (I mean, all of me is smaller, haha, I haven't lost 50 pounds from my butt alone :tongue:) because, *ahem*, it's VERY obvious he's more attracted to me now... :blushing: :laugh:
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    Yup I can totally relate! I dated a guy for 3 years and I went from a size 12 to a size 18. I think it's just that when you're in love you get so comfortable with each other that you aren't as conscious about your eatting habits and exercise habits. It also doesn't help if your guy likes to eat or has bad eatting habits. Sometimes what works for them doesn't work for us, but we eat the same way and then before you know it we've gained the weight.

I definitely felt like a changed person even when my boyfriend didn't say anything about my weight gain. I wasn't as confident about myself and hating seeing myself naked. I knew he loved me, but I couldn't understand how he could like my body. I think that definitely affected my relationship sometimes because of the negative thoughts I'd have about myself and my lack of confidence.

Now I plan on getting my weight back on track & I also say that my nexy boyfriend I hope he is a health freak or at least enjoys working out a lot so that it won't happen to me again!
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband and I both gained weight since we've been married. In this picture is how I looked when we got married. :sad: Now, I'm about 29 lbs heavier over a span of a little over 2 years, but we are now losing! It's so much better now because we are both trying to eat healthier & work out! We weighed in today & we've both lost 2 lbs each! Stick to it, you can do it! :happy: I use the picture as my inspiration!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Almost two years ago I reconnected with the love of my youth. I have put on about 15-20 pounds since we got back together! We enoy going out, having a few drinks, love entertaining & having people over for Supper. MY New Year's resolution is to look great at our wedding in June. He deserves the best! He is now on mfp with me, together we will get back into shape!
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I hit a double whammie by first going to college then finding my husband. When I went to college I was around the 160 range. It was a little overweight but not by much for me. I started college and gained around 40 lbs throughout my college career. It took me 8 years to graduate. I worked fulltime while earning my degree so that didn't help my body at all. I started dating my husband two years before I graduated and I probably gained about 30 lbs in those 2 years. Then we moved out to California after we graduated and we lived with my parents for a while. I gained another 20 lbs the 2 years I lived with them. So, now we are living on our own. We cook our own food and exercise (many times with each other).

He has loved me no matter what. He doesn't care what I look like as long as I am happy. He is very supportive of this process and he never knew me when I was in the 100's range. I would like to get back to 160 or lower!
  • melissaga79
    melissaga79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too! I weighed 110 lbs when I first met my husband, but now twelve years later I have gained about 100 lbs! It is all due to our lifestyle of eating out and not getting enough exercise. I am here to change that now too...I'm really working on eating healthy, and exercising. I do not expect be get back to 110 lbs, because that weight is not even healthy at my height, but I just want lose enough so that I am healthy again! I totally know what you are talking about!
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    It's been documented! Women who fall in love gain weight - check out this NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/health/05weight.html

My weight tended to stay around 132 through my mid-30's but I gained a LOT of weight in my last relationship (14 years) - sometimes I think it's even worse when you're with another woman because you're mirroring each other. Lost it 4 years after we broke up when I started dating again - kept it off until my mom got sick & I had to take care of her and I went through a long period of very little exercise.

Am determined to not let that happen again! Now am engaged to a man who has also been heavy before (he's slender now) and we've talked about this - support each other in eating right and exercising. I am lucky to have him - he loves me at any weight but supports me reaching my goals - is the first one to notice small changes in my shape....