Protien

Options
Ok so I've been really active, do badminton, climb and go to the gym my aim is to lose 2 stone of fat but to gain a stone in muscle, and turns out my protein intakes been terrible, and that's what helps repair your body and to build muscle, so really its not surprising i ache for days after exercise. Does anyone use protein supplements like protein shakes/bars? as im thinking about using those because I don't really eat meat that much, also pleasantly surprised there's seems to be so much protein in subway sandwiches well at least the one i get anyway somehow, even though its just thin slices of meat.

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ok so I've been really active, do badminton, climb and go to the gym my aim is to lose 2 stone of fat but to gain a stone in muscle, and turns out my protein intakes been terrible, and that's what helps repair your body and to build muscle, so really its not surprising i ache for days after exercise. Does anyone use protein supplements like protein shakes/bars? as im thinking about using those because I don't really eat meat that much, also pleasantly surprised there's seems to be so much protein in subway sandwiches well at least the one i get anyway somehow, even though its just thin slices of meat.

I'm not a big meat eater either. I use Body Fortress Whey Protein powder the strawberry flavored from Walmart to boost the protein intake. I also eat greek yogurt (14 grams of protein), eggs, cheese, skim milk, cottage cheese, tuna, chicken and turkey. I haven't really found a protein bar that I like the taste - except for kelloggs chocolate chip protein meal. Very tasty but only 10 grams of protein to not the best choice I just find them yummy.
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't like cheese either or Greek yoghurt im a fussy eater :( does protein powder shakes taste like milk shakes? and are they nice im worried i will spend alot of money on this and i will end up not liking it
  • TheWidget
    TheWidget Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your brother keep protein shakes? Just steal a little to see if you like them.
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    apparently his are for 'men' he says i'd grow a hairy chest if i have them lol i thin its to make sure i dont steal :P i'll read what his is for though, i dont want to be built like the hulk, i just want to be leaner for climbing
  • TheWidget
    TheWidget Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's rubbish. Don't worry about looking like hulk, that's pretty difficult for men to achieve and pretty much impossible for women. Would take years of high protein diet, supplements and intensive weight training.
  • SpitfireMcGuire
    Options
    Any protein powder that says it's for "women" - is JUNK and you shouldn't buy it! It's a marketting ploy.

Protein WONT make you bulk! It's very hard for MEN to bulk, and they have many more times the testosterone than women do. It's excruciatingly hard for a woman to bulk up - you need to be downing a serious amount of protein, about 4000 cal of food a day (high percentage carbs and protein), lift suuuuuper heavy and many female body builders have to rely on other supplements (and even testosterone shots).

I take my BF's protein powder and haven't got any hair on my chest - lol, your husband is either winding you up or he's scarily mis-informed!

If you can't reach your protein goal through food alone, supplement with a protein shake. Optimum Nutrition make delicious flavours, and the kind I use is the International Protein brand and I adore it! Tastes just like a milkshake. I mix mine with almond milk, but for even more protein you can mix it with cows milk. You should aim to have .8 - 1g of protein per lb of body weight to grow muscles.

Protein will make women grow nice LEAN sexy muscles! Muscles need protein to repair and grow!