Any climbers out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible at the climbs at the moment, but as I'm primarily doing it for the exercise I'm not bothered if I don't reach the top yet. It's all a step in the right direction and I'll reach the top eventually.

The falling is kinda cool though, and quite hilarious to watch other people doing it!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As was pointed out to my by someone much better than me; it's fine to 'cheat'. If you can't make the route, then it's often worth adding in a couple of holds from another route etc. Once you've managed it like that, you can practice that a few times then maybe come back the next week and slowly do it just with the right colour.
    Then follow on and even take some hold outs if it's easy! Said experienced climber (who must have been a good bit over 50 and had type 1 diabetes) later proceeded to climb up a slightly overhanging v0 with just his hands. (I can manage doing this hanging off the back side of a ladder, but even jugs on a climbing wall is a bit much for me.)

I will often just do a route in stages. So if it's a nasty start, I might give up on that and do other bits and come back to the start - or if I'm having trouble with something midway up but can do the start I'll jump/climb up using easy holds and keep practising just that until I have that section done, then link them together.
    A couple of weeks ago at the depot I managed to do each individual bit of a route, but by then was too knackered to join them all together. When I went back on Monday I did the whole thing easily first time :).

Was getting a bit frustrated with lack of progress last week, then next time I went noticed that I was gripping stuff I wouldn't have before.
    It's definitely worth looking into the right technique - I find most climbing people are very friendly and helpful. I know I need to work on a lot of areas rather than just using brute strength (which I have enough of at the start of the evening at least :) ).
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I've got my eye on the finger boards and am looking forward to getting my upper body strength up enough to be able to practice on them.

The people at the climbing centre have been lovely. More than willing to offer advice on routes and technique to make getting up easier. I was nervous it would be a bit hardcore and full of people taking it all terribly seriously, but so far everyone has been really friendly and just enthusiastic about the sport. I think that's why I'm taking to it over an other exercise stuff I've tried before.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I was looking at one of those 20 pull ups in 6 weeks programs, but then realised that it'll probably just hinder climbing trying to fit that in (circumstances have meant I've ended up bouldering every other day for the last week and a half pretty much, bar the last two where I went both times as I had friends with me on Monday and never got to work on the technique I wanted to so went yesterday.)

And on that, from talking to people, general advice seems to be that if you can, just spend the time climbing rather than worrying about a finger board.
    Sure, if you either can't spend the time climbing or are good enough that your arms don't need the time to recover, I'm sure it makes good sense.
    But right now I'm getting a fair bit of climbing in and am more limited by not wanting to over-exert my arms/tendons (I have weak wrists as it is, why I started it to try and strengthen them.)
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm not *technically* a rock climber - but I do embark on some pretty crazy hikes out in the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Some definitely involve hoisting 30 lb packs (and yourself of course!) over huge boulders to get to the summit....does that count? :P
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Omfsm, just 10 mins ago i was thinking i need more climbing frinds here.

pleasee feel free to add me.

Mainly indoor, but outdoor sport whenever we can. Off to franve in 6 weeks which should be good
    Anyone in the uk looking for climbing friends?
  • laurad1978
    laurad1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    a great you tube video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxqB9T3T004

Every time I see it I think right I'm gonna work my *kitten* off to get back to the mountains, not that I would ever aspire to do what Ueli can do : -)

Laura
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    a great you tube video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxqB9T3T004

Every time I see it I think right I'm gonna work my *kitten* off to get back to the mountains, not that I would ever aspire to do what Ueli can do : -)

Laura

I'm going to watch this when I get home this evening. I've been getting myself silly excited watching bouldering videos this week.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Omfsm, just 10 mins ago i was thinking i need more climbing frinds here.

pleasee feel free to add me.

Mainly indoor, but outdoor sport whenever we can. Off to franve in 6 weeks which should be good
    Anyone in the uk looking for climbing friends?

Where in France are you climbing?
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I used to be a rock climber, before I wrecked my knee and my belayer moved 1000 miles away, lol! I did break an ankle once trying to get over an overhang one time, and then had the joy of hiking down and driving myself to the hospital. I loved climbing though, great times!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I used to be a rock climber, before I wrecked my knee and my belayer moved 1000 miles away, lol! I did break an ankle once trying to get over an overhang one time, and then had the joy of hiking down and driving myself to the hospital. I loved climbing though, great times!

Ahhh, this just makes me love the indoor bouldering crash mats all the more. I think I may give them a hug this weekend.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    shelby,
    normally in the south,
    this time were off to 1/2 an hour east of Nice.

should be good
    :)