Choppy cardio workout? Is this Effective?

Options
So I only started out exercising regularly (this year) about 6 weeks ago. I go for a run 4-5 times a week accompanied by a very long walk. Now, usually, how I do my runs is that I start right off with my longer run (2+ miles, 21-25 mins) then I go for a 40 minute walk, then I run an additional, shorter run (10-15 mins) with another 30-40 minute walk back home. Is it bad that I'm spreading out my runs with a lot of walking in between? Should I go for one, straight run then walk some and maybe integrate some other kind of exercise? I'm planning on starting the elliptical soon (I have one collecting dust in my basement) and I don't know if I should switch it in for the second run, or some of the walking time, or do it as an add-on altogether. Any advice would be appreciated!

SW: 186
CW: 174

GW #1: 160
GW #2: 145

UGW: 130

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    i think its fine.
    if it works for you then do it.
    as they say the best excersise is the one that you enjoy, as that way you will enjoy it.
    It sounds like you are gettting in quite a long distance and thats whats going to burn the calories, not when you do it or how.

and lots of ppl are going to suggest you try some strength training. It will help build/ maintain muscle which will make your skin firmer. (and you will get stronger)
    try NEw rules of Lifting for Women, or You are your own gym.

And congrats on the 12lb so far, your almost 1/2 way to goal 1
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • zlottery
    zlottery Posts: 25
    Options
    Aww thanks!! :)

I *am* getting strength training in! I actually started doing a ton of squats recently and that's been making running easier ^_^
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    you are getting nearly two hours on your feet - that's a good thing. You didnt say why you stop running though. If you just can run any more then try to run a little slower and extend the time slowly. Walking is fine too - walking fast isnt that much different to jogging slow. be patient and stick with it and you will find that you will be able to gradually increase your run should you want to.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What is your objective?
    Is it just exercise to get some cardio in or would you like to be able to do longer runs and distances and have some endurance?

If you are looking to be active without specific goals you are doing fine.
    If you'd like to be able to run a good distance, then reduce your walking times to 3 minutes max, then 2 min, then 1 ...

There are a bunch of different programs about running; couch to 5K is pretty good and you could use it to move from where you are to higher endurance/distance.

Goals drive action. Define your goals first, and maybe you have them, but I didn't catch them from your post.