Stop Hating the Process and Only Focusing on the Goal

Options
I have read a lot of posts lately that are very bitter, angry, and some just plain whiny because so many are stuck in that mindset of comparing yourself and your progress to everyone else.

Stop.

Stop focusing so much on "when I get thin" or "when I lost five more lbs" or "when I look like that girl". If something happened and you never get to make it to that point (not saying this is the case, just something to think about), wouldn't you regret not loving yourself, your friends, your family, and each other? You wouldn't go, "gee it would have been nice to do that but I wasn't skinny yet so it's a good thing that I didn't". No. No one does that.

What I am trying to say here is everyone needs to start realizing that their goal is not what defines who they are. You are still you, fat or skinny or in between. Stop beating yourself up and start enjoying the process. I have been super skinny and quite overweight, and amazingly, I had the same types of problems no matter what the size. I look back at pictures and remember that the "fat me" had a lot of fun. Why? Because the "fat me" didn't have to worry about what my friends really thought of me or why they were my friends, because I knew that if they loved me fat, they loved me, period. I look back at pictures of me really skinny and realize that I had no idea what I really had but the problems had changed. When I was really skinny I had to always worry about "WHY" people were around me and whether they were there because of who I really was, or what they THOUGHT I was. What I'm getting at here is, I've been on both sides of it. Now, Im somewhere in between.

My goals at this point are to be the best ME that I can be. I don't want to be overweight or super skinny. I want to have muscle regardless of where it moves the scale. I want to improve my fitness. While I am not in the best shape of my life, I am happy. I am happy because I enjoy the process. I want everyone out there to realize that the people you look at who you think "have it so easy and can eat anything they want and look like THAT", may not have it so easy, I used to be "that girl" at one point, and I starved myself, purged, and hid every bit of it to look cool and collected. It isn't worth it.

Stop worrying about everyone else and find your INNER happiness WHILE pursuing your outer best. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Replies

• Kikilicious84
    Options
    Nice.
  • tracylee679
    tracylee679 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more!
  • dmh0204
    dmh0204 Posts: 81
    Options
    Thank you. I've never heard this before. "Enjoy the process," that is. You're right, people are always talking about their goal weight, and look back on their success--and I guess there is a place for that, and I don't begrudge anyone enjoying their successes.

But, man, for someone like me, who is in the very beginning of the journey, what a great attitude! I will start to focus on feeling good about making the right decisions, about getting stronger, and being excited to go for a run, instead of lazing around on the couch all night and every weekend.

So, just, thank you. This is going to go a long way toward giving me some perspective.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    What a great post! Very inspiring, starting to realize myself that the journey is what is going to change me both mentally and physically into a HEALTHY new me, not just a thin one :)
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This is so true. If you can't be overweight and happy, being thin is not going to fix that for you.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I've never heard this before. "Enjoy the process," that is. You're right, people are always talking about their goal weight, and look back on their success--and I guess there is a place for that, and I don't begrudge anyone enjoying their successes.

But, man, for someone like me, who is in the very beginning of the journey, what a great attitude! I will start to focus on feeling good about making the right decisions, about getting stronger, and being excited to go for a run, instead of lazing around on the couch all night and every weekend.

So, just, thank you. This is going to go a long way toward giving me some perspective.

You're welcome. No Problem at all. I have a long way to go on my journey, but I have realized that I don't have a finish line. I am not looking to sprint the race, but rather be more of a long distance runner (metaphorically speaking- running is not my exercise of choice!) and enjoy what I'm doing. I am never going to magically look in the mirror one day and decide, "yup, that's it, I've reached my goal, I'm done now", so I finally figured out...Why, then, am I treating myself that way? Happiness is so much easier when you enjoy the things along your "run".
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Exactly......:drinker: :drinker:
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses. I am so happy to see that others understand where I am coming from! I just wish others could learn the lesson that I finally learned (trust me, not saying I don't have set backs and rough moments, 16 years of battling and recovering from long undiagnosed ED's do have their moments) before the long unhappy struggle progresses. What's the point? There is not a magic happy lamp at the bottom of your scale when it reaches your goal weight. Your view of yourself has to change along with the weight loss and struggle.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Stop telling me what to do.

D<

I'll be miserable if I want to! So there.
  • niatt
    niatt Posts: 13
    Options
    Wow, this is exactly what I needed to read this morning!
    Thank you xx
  • roguestates
    Options
    Fabulous post! We need to be our best selves, no matter what weight we're at. There's too much fatphobia in the world already. You have to love yourself every step of the way, otherwise, if you haven't learned to love yourself, you aren't likely to do so magically if/when you do get thin. There are lots of miserable thin people out there who don't know how to love themselves, too. Don't set yourself up for that.
  • ennysmith
    Options
    Yes,I agree with you.