cant work out amounts - help! im a newbie!

Options
hi everyone, i just tried entering my first food, and i cant seem to work out how to do it properly. It asks you how many serving of 'x' amount of grams....well, i had 1 serving of 40g, but it only gives me the option of 1g or 100g! how can i adjust it??:embarassed:

Replies

• Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Select the portion size as 1g and set the servings box as 40.

When this item appears in your diary it will then show a 40g portion.

Don't worry if you mess anything up you can delete items from your diary easily (just click the little red icon to the right of the item you want to delete.

If you enter something into your diary and you want to change the amount click on the name of the item (from your diary page) and a box opens where you can change to portion, potion size and which meal the food was for.

Best wishes
  • kosher40
    kosher40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    just to clarify....the box is 550g and it says you get 12 servings....(45g per serving) so does the way you suggest still apply?
  • lauragrell2002
    Options
    Do the 100g and post .4 servings.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I would personally do the 1g and set it for 40.
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Either 100g and 0.4 in the servings or 1g and 40 in the servings you will also find for fruits etc will give you 100g or if you click on the other choices at the side per fruit ,per piece etc hope this helps. you can always go back and delete just by pressing the edit food button if it dosent come out at the right value. Hope that helps takes a while to grt used to but its great once you get in the swing of things.
    You can also copy previous meals etc if you have the same food regularly using the tools.
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    just to clarify....the box is 550g and it says you get 12 servings....(45g per serving) so does the way you suggest still apply?
    yes if ist measured on mfp at 100g and you only had 40g go with 100g at 0.4 servings. you can always check your figure against the box as it will be slightly less than the 1 box serving figure as you had 5g less.:smile:
  • kosher40
    Options
    lauragrell200 - unfortunately that gave me about 1900 calories!! lol! Gypsysbloodro, that seemed to work and gave me 194 calories, which seems to be really high for breakfast! looks like i may need to find a new breakfast totally - any suggestions? I was having granola with plain low fat yogurt.
  • drailine
    drailine Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie also, and I've been using fractions for those type of entries. For example in your case 40g of 100g would be .4 See is that works for you.
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    lauragrell200 - unfortunately that gave me about 1900 calories!! lol! Gypsysbloodro, that seemed to work and gave me 194 calories, which seems to be really high for breakfast! looks like i may need to find a new breakfast totally - any suggestions? I was having granola with plain low fat yogurt.

Hi Hacky4. 190cals for breakfast is pretty good. But, if you need it to be lower (to give you more later in the day for example, I find eggs brilliant. 2 large eggs are 155cals and I find boiled they keep me full for ages (I eat three but I work out early morning so i'm often famished by breakfast time).

All the best.
  • kosher40
    Options
    hi aperture_science....thanks for letting me know that this is an ok calorie amount, cos to me it sounded huge! They gave me a 1200 allowance, so it seemed to be a large chunk.

ive now had 75g of pasta with some pasta sauce for lunch (almost an hour ago) and im already starving! i guess i expected to be hungry as i reduced my intake....but im so stuck on what to eat now. theres no way ill make it to dinner being this hungry already (i have 4 kids at home off of school still and I need ENERGY!!!) any further suggestions???
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    Planning helps big time. As you learn which are your hungry times you can plan in a snack or meal for that time. Also some people find high protein staves of hunger for longer (I know I do) and others swear by high carbohydrate. Experiment and see what works best for you:

Hint you can set you diary to show the protein/fat/carbohydrate values for your day by: Selecting Settings from the Food tab and using the Nutrients Tracked drop down boxes to show protein/fat/carbohydrate.

Have a play around you can't break anything.

Don't be frightened of fat. Fat doesn't make you fat, eating too much food in general makes you fat. Healthy fats are good and should be incorporated into your diet.

this is the NHS guidance on fat http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Fat.aspx

Eating with children around is a nightmare, we often don't want to restrict what they eat because of our eating plans, and that often means lots of food around that can be a temptation. I'd say meet the kids half way... tweak their diet to slightly more healthy stuff (and so reduce some of the treats in the house) but also plan yourself a snack (even if it's just a cup of tea and some fruit or some carrot sticks) to eat during their tea time. This way you are less tempted to pick at their leftovers and they get to see mum eating something sensible and healthy.

1200 cals is tough and if you struggle consider upping the cals slightly to help you out. it's better to eat a little more and take longer to get to goal than attack it head on but crash and burn after a couple of weeks.

Best wishes
  • AliMariesDad
    Options

Welcome, and good luck!
    I don't think 194 calories are too much for breakfast. I usually try to eat between 300 and 400.
    Don't be a afraid to eat. It's good for you. Just make sure you eat the right things. Granola with plain yogurt is perfect for breakfast! Maybe some fruit?
    I can't wait to hear your success story.
  • kosher40
    Options
    thank you everyone, you are all so supportive!!!

alimariesdad - i cant wait to tell you either! :happy:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Protein will keep you fuller longer than carbs. For instance, adding some sliced chicken to that pasta would have kept you full longer. It seems scary to add calories, but if it prevents you from over eating next time or snacking it is totally worth it.