Hairy Dieters....... Only!!!

Options

Replies

• kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    we tried the skinny lasagne the day after they showed it on TV - it was fab!!! I have been getting their recipe's off the internet but will definitely be interested in the book too ;p)
  • kakiem
    kakiem Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the programme but I bought the book as it was half price in Asda. I usually stay clear of diet cook books as they are full of salads and drab food but was pleasantly surprised when I looked through The Hairy dieters book. My friend raved about their pie. Will be trying out some of the recipes soon :o)
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Got the book and cooking loads from it !

The only down side from the show was that the lads wnet down to 1200 cals per day (bloody low but what do i know) but the lads then started doing bike rides and working out etc.

I wish that the show made it more clear if they were eating more because of the workouts.

Its the old "do i eat back my work out cals" question I know, but the show should of made it more clear.
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you go on BBCFOOD. website all the recipes are on there until you can buy the book.

Great! Thankyou for sharing, I think I want to give them all a go!
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Folks, a good number of WHSmiths still have it, so if you really want it (and I can recommend it! It's brill!) then maybe ring your local store and check they have a copy before you head down! :)
    Marie xx
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hmm sorry to be the cynic/party pooper... I enjoyed the shows and the recipes are doubtlessly delicious but they made it all seem a bit too easy.

For two BIG blokes to drop from 3500+ to 1200 calories must have been difficult and required some very careful and difficult food choices...fair play to them but that wasn't reflected in the programmes. It was all like "look how easy it is! You can still eat real food!".

I agree you can. BUT, I would like to have seen how (in addition to 'spending' 500-600 cal on dinner) they kept to 600 for the rest of the day - including breakfast, lunch, drinks, snacks. Now that's what people really want/need to see.
  • craigy_84
    craigy_84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I bought the book however I'll still be tweaking their recipes.

If you use silicon cake bases for their skinny lemon cupcakes you can lower the fat content by using less sunflower oil and save on extra calories.
  • daisychain177
    daisychain177 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's only £7.99 on amazon for the kindle x
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options

Why would you want in on Kindle? It's a cook book. You should always have cook books in real book form I'd think... But hey, that's your choice :wink:
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ^ in comment to above I think all books are better in proper form, Im a reall booky and dont get kindles, theres nothing better than holding an actual book - haha I probably sound nuts but its true!

As for the show, what can I say - amazing! Watched and recorded all episodes was gutted it was such a short broadcast especially when other cookery shows seem to last forever and then they repeat the same Jamie Oliver stuff 100000 times over! I went to by the book this week thinking "great its only ended theres bound to be loads in stock" and and shocked when the guy told me not only are they sold out amongst all other shops but they have had to go to reprint! but great for them, that can only mean theyve inspired alot of people to think about food choices!

Im attempting the lasagne tomorrow night (I always have lasagne on a cheat night) but not sure about the idea of leek instead of pasta - whats peoples thoughts? Especially with it being my all time fav meal I dont want to miss out on my one cheat day, plus I usually cook with wheat pasta so not all bad if leeks are a no go.

Cant wait to get the book and try other recipes!! I think theyve saved me from eating the same old boring chicken day in day out!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think The Book People have this pretty cheap at the moment.
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    ^ in comment to above I think all books are better in proper form, Im a reall booky and dont get kindles, theres nothing better than holding an actual book - haha I probably sound nuts but its true!

Thank you :happy: I'll read a Kindle on the train (well, I've downloaded it on my phone actually), but a cook book I just need to hold, haha!
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Although tesco direct said it was out of stock, i got it in my local store for £7.49 yesterday. Loved the show and agree it could have been longer. I also agree that they would have struggled a bit to stay at 1200 calories.
  • daisychain177
    daisychain177 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Why would you want in on Kindle? It's a cook book. You should always have cook books in real book form I'd think... But hey, that's your choice :wink:

I have a few on my iPad I love it and don't have to wait to get to shop or be delivered its there right away lol
    Am about to download now x
  • apching
    apching Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hmm sorry to be the cynic/party pooper... I enjoyed the shows and the recipes are doubtlessly delicious but they made it all seem a bit too easy.

For two BIG blokes to drop from 3500+ to 1200 calories must have been difficult and required some very careful and difficult food choices...fair play to them but that wasn't reflected in the programmes. It was all like "look how easy it is! You can still eat real food!".

I agree you can. BUT, I would like to have seen how (in addition to 'spending' 500-600 cal on dinner) they kept to 600 for the rest of the day - including breakfast, lunch, drinks, snacks. Now that's what people really want/need to see.

For me - I'm on 1290/day (down from 1360 - seems MFP has punished me for losing weight ;) ). I use Graze boxes to get me through the day , some are only 50-80 cals each and provide tasty snacks to keep me going in between meals. Although 1290 is going to be a stretch for the foreseeable, might have to revise my weekly loss amount down if it gets too tricky!
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cajun Chicken and potato wedges only about 300 calories let you know what its like
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm gutted that I missed it all, well I think I caught a few minutes of one episode but that was all.

I'll keep a look out and see if it'll be repeated :)

iplayer should still have a couple left.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have adapted a couple of recipes to make them vegetarian, which often makes the calorie count lower. The lasagne idea with the leeks works fine, although be prepared for the sheets to be a bit stringy.
    Have to say that several of their recipes need a bit of altering to fit my calorie balance, but the ideas are good. I intend to try making a pie using the packet pizza base idea for pastry. But it'll need to be a veggie one!
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    peppered steak and wedges tonight with mushrooms it was lovely
  • jpmorton_riches
    Options
    The show really got me motivated to do this site and get the weight off. Enjoyed it and I hope the Hairy Bikers make another series.

Jim