Kickboxing... What exercise should I supplement this with?

Options
Ok so this is my current exercise schedule... bearing in mind Im in very poor physical condition

For the last 2wks ive been taking swimming lessons on mondays 45mins
For the last 3wks ive been kickboxing on wednesdays 90mins
Starting tomorrow im kickboxing 90mins on fridays

Would it be too much too soon to start another activity on sundays?
What activitys would you suggest?
My stats are: female, 27yrs, 5'6, 193lbs... And im in very poor physical condition
I also have the option of doing boot camp on tuesdays at the gym but would that burn me out too much for kickboxing wednesdays?

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    if your body can handle it.. go for it.... i currently do something 5 days of the week, and soon will be bumping that up to 6!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I would say get used to doing Kickboxing twice a week in addition to the swimming you already do. Then look at increasing your exercise regime.

From my own experience, it took me a few weeks to adjust to doing longer more intensive Tae Kwon Do classes - 1-2 hours beginner/intermediate classes 3 times a week to 2 hours senior classes 3 times a week. And I've found it the same for Jiujitsu recently (1.5 - 2 hours twice a week)
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would say get used to doing Kickboxing twice a week in addition to the swimming you already do. Then look at increasing your exercise regime.

From my own experience, it took me a few weeks to adjust to doing longer more intensive Tae Kwon Do classes - 1-2 hours beginner/intermediate classes 3 times a week to 2 hours senior classes 3 times a week. And I've found it the same for Jiujitsu recently (1.5 - 2 hours twice a week)
    So essentially I should give it a few weeks before attempting to take on further exercise?
    I forgot to mention the swim lessons are an 8wk course, hopefully the intermediate classes will follow on when the beginner end
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What do your kickboxing sessions involve do you have a cardio and strength training day or is that the boot camp you were talking about ??? Are you working technique and bag work or sparring would be interesting to know what combination you work??

I do kickboxing and mma myself i also try to run about 5 days a week (couch to 5k nice to start running)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    So essentially I should give it a few weeks before attempting to take on further exercise?
    I forgot to mention the swim lessons are an 8wk course, hopefully the intermediate classes will follow on when the beginner end

Why rush and risk injury/strain? Hope the swimming goes well for you, am looking for swimming classes that fit around my existing commitments myself!
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    What do your kickboxing sessions involve do you have a cardio and strength training day or is that the boot camp you were talking about ??? Are you working technique and bag work or sparring would be interesting to know what combination you work??

I do kickboxing and mma myself i also try to run about 5 days a week (couch to 5k nice to start running)
    The kickboxing is mainly core training and bag/pad work, last night we mixed cardio and strength training

The boot camp is something they have organised down the gym for us fatties but id say its less intensive than the training at the kickboxing club
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should give it a few weeks, don't want to overload your system (or burn yourself out). If you want to add something, just to have an extra day of exercise, why not throw in a walk on Sundays, nothing strenuous, but something active?
  • breza262
    breza262 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should give it a few weeks, don't want to overload your system (or burn yourself out). If you want to add something, just to have an extra day of exercise, why not throw in a walk on Sundays, nothing strenuous, but something active?

I agree with this. If you injure yourself, you won't be able to do anything. Why not a walk or bike ride once or twice a week just to add in some low impact activity? Good luck!
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

The kickboxing is mainly core training and bag/pad work, last night we mixed cardio and strength training

The boot camp is something they have organised down the gym for us fatties but id say its less intensive than the training at the kickboxing club
    Sounds like you have a great session here!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Jumping in to too many things too fast leads to injury and burnout. Why not add in something low impact but mentally strengthening. A walk in the woods, some meditation, stretching or yoga. Taking care of the inner self is just as important as taking care of the physical self. And many find that you need to do both together for lifetime health.
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    Jumping in to too many things too fast leads to injury and burnout. Why not add in something low impact but mentally strengthening. A walk in the woods, some meditation, stretching or yoga. Taking care of the inner self is just as important as taking care of the physical self. And many find that you need to do both together for lifetime health.
    Yoga is something id like to try... Problem is I dont know anything about yoga! Second problem is finding a class local to me