Really starting to dislike Subway...

Options
I love Subway. You can get a filling meal that is low in calories. Since I started logging my calories on MFP, I am starting to dislike Subway in some ways. I went this morning and got their Egg White and cheese on a whole wheat English Muffin. Here I am logging my meal on MFP and to my shock, this wimpy sandwich is terrible for you and not in the least satisfying. Never again!

330-420 calories (depending on whether you choose whole egg or egg white)
46 carbs!
8-18 grams of fat also dependent on your egg choice
Not bad on the protein, 22 grams
Good source of fiber at 5 grams
Sodium..........1,060 per sandwich.

Did a trial meal of my own. I can make that same sandwich with cheese at home for:
186 calories
28 carbs
4 grams of fat
14 protein
4 fiber
475 sodium

I like my recipe better. Would love to know what Subway does to turn a sensible choice into junk! Sorry, just had to vent. Thanks

Replies

• cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that it's cheaper to make your sammie at home! Easier on your thigh's and youe wallet. That's what I call multi-tasking. :laugh:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Subway uses pre-frozen breads, that they bake in house and these are typically higher in fat and sodium.
  • ashnichole3
    ashnichole3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Amen! I learned a long time ago to be careful about subway...there are many things on the menu that are not as healthy as they seem! If I'm going to ruin my meal...it will be on a cheeseburger and fries! Not on some wimpy sandwhich I really didn't want in the first place!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    It's considered sensible in comparison to other fast food breakfasts - it's just the lesser of two evils :smile:
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    Wow- that is crazy- I would defintely start making mine at home. I have never had the breakfast at Subway, but I enjoy the sandwiches and will order them quite frequently for a number of reasons. 1) My fiance likes ithem and we are sometimes in a hurry so it is a better, healthier choice is comparison to say Mcdonalds, Wendys, or Burger King. 2) There is one right by my work and right down the road from my house so it is convenient when I don't feel like making something at home or dont have an igredient to make my own sandwich. 3) There is enough choices that I can mix it up all the time with what I order, and also I can add condiments or leave some off depending on my calories left for the day. But, like anything fast food- I understand I could probably make something a little healthier at home even if they do claim to be the Best Choice for nutrition. Some of the subs are loaded wioth fat and calories and sodium!
  • jquintinjr
    Options
    one of my personal favorite homemades is a thomas' better start multigrain english muffin slice of fat free cheese. 1/2cup egg white with some bell peppers. and maybe some salse or hot sauce. i like it spicy. works out to be somethin like

185cal
    22g of protein and very high fiber like 5g for 1 sandwich

overall it equals a very low GL and very tasty :)
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i don't have time to fix much in the mornings so i use jimmy dean d-lites... 18 grams of protein... that baby hold me over forever! love them
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've eaten at subway just about every day for the last three weeks.

:indifferent:

It may not be perfect ... but it's better for me than BK, which is where I used to go just about every day.

My only problem with Subway is the sodium. I might have to switch to the veggie sandwich. :frown: