Honey vs brown sugar

Options
I would assume with Honey being in its natural state and brown sugar not, Honey being the better option...but with grams of sugar and the calories, Brown sugar beats it! Suggestions?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think they are both basically sugar. Unless you're planning to consume massive quantities, it probably doesn't matter. :indifferent:
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I prefer the flavor of honey, specifically if it is local wildflower! I'm not a fan of brown sugar.
  • TheWidget
    TheWidget Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Honey is about 70% sugar, the rest being water and micronutrients (niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc, anti-oxidants). Those micronutrients can be beneficial and won't be present in plain sugar. Darker honeys are higher in such things than clearer honeys.

Brown sugar is just sugar and molasses, which gives it more taste. Not sure how it affects nutrition; I'd guess very marginally.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Honey is about 70% sugar, the rest being water and micronutrients (niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc, anti-oxidants). Those micronutrients can be beneficial and won't be present in plain sugar. Darker honeys are higher in such things than clearer honeys.

Ditto.

There are actual health benefits of honey.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're using it for. Since they're both sugar I'd go for taste over nutrients. But I don't use either one very frequently.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Honey is natural. Sugar is not.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think that the sugar you use depends on what you are making. Some things taste better with honey while others taste better with brown sugar.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I'd choose honey if you are buying it locally. If you are buying it from a grocery store, then most of the nutritional benefits have been processed out which would make it no better or worse than the brown sugar.

Having said all that, since you probably aren't taking in large amounts, just use whichever one you like best.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I prefer honey, and I try to use it more often than sugar (except in baking, of course).
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The better option for what? Are you meaning the better option based on calories? On Flavor? On use? On health risks and benefits?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Honey is naturally sweeter than sugar, right? So you can use less honey to get the same sweetness level, and get the health benefits...
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Honey! Get RAW honey (you won't notice the difference). I get it at my local health food store. If it's honey from your area, that's even better because it can help with allergies. Raw honey has benefits. Brown sugar is just white sugar with molassas added in. No benefits there.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You're not comparing apples to apples.

They are used for different things. Brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses mixed in. Honey (particularly in the raw form--the milky looking one, not the clear amber one) has a ton of health benefits. Best to get your honey from local sources if you can!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Honey! Get RAW honey (you won't notice the difference). I get it at my local health food store. If it's honey from your area, that's even better because it can help with allergies. Raw honey has benefits. Brown sugar is just white sugar with molassas added in. No benefits there.

Ha! we wrote the same response at exactly the same time! :):)
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I would assume with Honey being in its natural state and brown sugar not, Honey being the better option...but with grams of sugar and the calories, Brown sugar beats it! Suggestions?

Honey equals fructose, brown sugar equals sucrose plus a starch. Honey is MUCH better for you.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I use both depending on what I'm trying to sweeten. Brown sugar in my oatmeal...honey with my pb and banana.
    Unless you're planning on eating it by the bowlfulls, it's pretty negligible calories. Use what you like
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses mixed in.

Sugar snob here -- brown cane sugar is less refined than white cane sugar, the residual molasses is what provides the color. The molasses is not mixed in, it is simply not removed. Dark brown sugar has more residual molasses (is less refined) that light brown sugar.

If, however, you use beet sugar (which is generally cheaper), then yes, brown sugar is white beet sugar with molasses mixed in. The proper name for this is "molasses sugar".

Personally, I find that cane sugar gives me better results in baking, etc. than I get with beet sugar.
  • sneebazoo
    Options
    Though honey is more natural, I cannot stand the taste of honey in coffee or porridge (syrup or jam tastes so much better!) it's far too sickly.

Though I do like it with low fat Greek yogurt and walnuts :)
    And it's always good in a Hot Toddie (the best way of surviving a night of coughing, sneezing and overall snottiness.)

But for coffee and most baking, I prefer brown sugar.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Taste and Calories
    Honey is 1.5 times sweeter than table sugar and contains more calories -- 1 tsp. of sugar has 16 calories compared to 22 calories in 1 tsp. of honey. Some argue that because honey is sweeter, you may consume less, and that the same amount of calories of either sugar or honey provides the same level of sweetness. Honey also contains more carbohydrates than sugar. MayoClinic.com says both honey and sugar affect blood sugar and diabetics should treat honey as they would any other sugar in a healthy eating plan.
    Nutrition
    One tbsp. of honey has 64 calories and 17 g of carbohydrates -- all of which are sugar. There is no fiber, no protein, no fat and no cholesterol in honey. Although honey may contain more nutrients than table sugar, it is not a nutrient-rich food. There is 11 mg of potassium -- not even 1 percent of your RDA. One tbsp. of granulated sugar contains 45 calories and 12 g of carbohydrates -- all of which are sugars. Again, there is no fiber, protein, fat or cholesterol. There are no vitamins or minerals in table sugar.