If everday were like today...

Options
blah blah blah!!! I am starting to hate this. On the days that I eat my calories back from exercising the number is much lower (I would not lose much), but on the days I don't (much higher deficit only netting around 900!) it says I would weigh a whole lot less. Yet, the consensus is that you SHOULD eat them back to not go into starvation mode. Wish I had the magic equation!

Replies

• expoduck
    expoduck Posts: 59
    Options
    My grandmother always used to say, 'Slow and steady wins the race.'

I just tell myself that every time I see the 'If every day were like today...'

:smile:
  • LLEB92
    LLEB92 Posts: 21
    Options
    I read on the NHS website that starvation mode is a myth and that it can be good to go on a really low calorie diet three days a week
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    I dont eat my calories back... I was told by 2 health freaks and bodybuilders that you need that deficit to LOSE weight... and it is working great for me :)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy and don't track the numbers because they drove me insane, I just announce to my friends what I am eating and how much I am exercising so I can get some encouragement. Finding what works for you is the biggest part of the battle because someone else might swear by something that doesn't work for you at all. Listen to your body. If you are hungry, eat, and if not, don't . Hang in there and keep experimenting.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You know what? When I quit obsessing over all the numbers (including that stupid "if every day were like today" number) I started seeing more results. I stopped exercising insanely and worrying about the number being "under"... I lost weight years ago (and 2 babies ago) following this plan:
    ::1500 calories per day
    ::workout 6 days per week-M,W,F-kickboxing or something like that, Tu, Thurs, Sa-pilates or yoga and sometimes a walk added in
    ::do not eat ANYthing off my kids' plates
    ::no hoarding calories. In other words if I don't eat all my breakfast calories I can't say those are added to my dinner
    Like a pp said, you have to find what works for you!
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You know what? When I quit obsessing over all the numbers (including that stupid "if every day were like today" number) I started seeing more results. I stopped exercising insanely and worrying about the number being "under"... I lost weight years ago (and 2 babies ago) following this plan:
    ::1500 calories per day
    ::workout 6 days per week-M,W,F-kickboxing or something like that, Tu, Thurs, Sa-pilates or yoga and sometimes a walk added in
    ::do not eat ANYthing off my kids' plates
    ::no hoarding calories. In other words if I don't eat all my breakfast calories I can't say those are added to my dinner
    Like a pp said, you have to find what works for you!

^^^ This...a really healthy (and non-obsessive) approach...

It's about what works for you. It's about listening to our bodies and figuring out what it needs. Starting with parameters is good, but eventually, you should be able to listen to your body signals of when and what to eat.

Ultimately, you need to figure out works for you and is sustainable. Everyone is different...
  • kreisad
    kreisad Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with the healthy approach of what works for you. I've heard about the starvation mode as well and I think it just depends on the person's body. You can spend forever punching in numbers to see what will amount to the quickest and greatest amount of weight loss but none of that matters unless it is what works for your lifestyle. The fact that you care and want to put effort forth to get healthy is what's important. Chin up and keep up the great work!
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Under by 3500 calories/week = down one pound per week (roughly).

It really is as simple as: burn more than you take in = weight loss.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I dont eat my calories back... I was told by 2 health freaks and bodybuilders that you need that deficit to LOSE weight... and it is working great for me :)

MFP already set you up witha deficit - it is your choice to eat back or not but you will lose even if you eat them all back
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A net of 900 is not starvation, only eating 900 is. No matter what you do, your net is always going to be less than what you are taking in because your body is always burning calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!