My First Party After Joining MFP

Options
I'd like some advice. Sunday I am going to my first party after joining MFP and i'm so nervous about eating. Any suggestions on how to stay on track when I can't control the food that will be there? I'm thinking of eating healthy before hand and just picking on a few things at the party. Is it rude if I bring carrot sticks for myself to "snack" on while everyone eats cake??

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    That is kind of my strategy... to make sure that I eat something healthy beforehand so that I don't get there hungry and find that there is nothing healthy to eat. I have been pleasanlty surprised on several occasions because I have shown up and there have been veggies or fruit, and then I have a little of that, but I don't want to put myself in the position of being starving and having no good healthy options. And I would not worry about being rude, you are doing what you know is best for you.
  • mrsdean1973
    Options
    I would say your strategy of eating a healthy meal of snack beforehand is a great idea. I know I have given in to temptation way too often in this situation and that being full ahead of time helps. Plus, keeping your glass full at the party, preferably with water and sipping it a lot will help too. This also helps with my anxiety levels at parties, which is an added bonus. Good Luck!
  • mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Agreed, planning ahead is your best strategy! Eating a healthy meal beforehand will definitely limit your chances of eating unhealthy choices at the party because you won't be hungry. If it were me, I'd allot some calories for the party itself. I'd probably have a good workout that day and leave some calories to indulge in something, like a piece of cake. I'm not one for complete deprivation.

Have fun! :)
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks All! I didnt even think of squeezing in a work out before hand - that's a great idea as well. I'll take all this advice, it makes me feel less anxious about it!
  • MrsKillough
    MrsKillough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find it helpful to drive, so I can't drink. I'm much less likely to think "what the hell" to the delicious but fattening nibbles if I'm drinking fizzy water rather than wine.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find it helpful to drive, so I can't drink. I'm much less likely to think "what the hell" to the delicious but fattening nibbles if I'm drinking fizzy water rather than wine.

This is another concern! The hubby is driving b/c I am a terrible driver. There will be sangria at the party - my downfall. So I am going to allow myself 2 glasses of sangria and that's it. I am DEF working out before I go.