Runners-when do you REFUEL and what type do you use?

Options

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    For my longer runs (over 6 miles for me) I will usually try to get up a little earlier so that I can eat something and allow nature to take its course before I take the course. If I plan on being out for longer than an hour I will take water and enough Gu to get me through the run. After the run I will drink water as soon as possible, 2-3 cups, and eat a snack...banana, protein bar, etc. For shorter runs where I don't eat breakfast first I will go ahead and eat that after my run, usually oatmeal.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Adding miles every week to do my first half. Going for 10 this Sat. Got my hydration belt and wondered if and when I should incorporate a GU or some other type of fueling to get through the mileage or if I should save that for a full marathon?

If you plan on taking fuel during your marathon it is definitely advisable to try the brand you plan on using well before race day - I've never experienced any gastrointestinal problems (hey, I survived on my own cooking for years....I can eat anything) but I know some runners who don't tolerate certain varieties as well as others - you don't want any surprises race day.

I also need to add that I'm a cheapskate, I make my own "gel" out of honey, molasses, a pinch of salt and a little water to dilute it (if you have a fuel belt you can buy gel flasks for it). One flask of home made gel costs me about the same as one packet of a commercial product and is the equivalent of about 4 packets.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You don't really need anything working up to a half. Much of it can be personal preference though. I generally try and not take any fuel on my long runs all the way up to 20 milers. I'll take a couple runs to see what my stomach likes for raceday(marathon) but I try and do all the rest of my runs on only water.
  • mamafish2313
    Options
    Where does everyone purchase their fuel? On line or at sports stores? I've seen some on Amazon.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    As you can see by the replies, I think it varies a lot! I am training for a half and up to 13.5 on my long runs. I didn't need to carry anything to hydrate until I was running more than 6-7 miles, and didn't really feel a need to be refueling until around 9-10. My pace is on the slower side; I'll probably finish my half in about 2:10, maybe 2:05. The challenge for me is that I do NOT have an iron stomach, and typically on short run days I run first thing in the morning on a totally empty stomach (just a little water before heading out the door). I was going on long runs on an empty stomach at first, too, but then when I got to around 9ish miles on the distance I found I was running out of gas and needed something. But if I ate a protein or cereal bar right before leaving on the run, I'd cramp up. So now I eat a protein bar (about 175-200 calories) first thing when I wake up. I actually leave it on my nightstand the night before and eat it before I even get out of bed, while I'm laying there trying to wake up and watch the news, LOL. Then by the time I get up, dressed and out the door it's been about 20-30 minutes since I ate, and I don't cramp.

On the run itself, I carry the Honey Stinger energy chews with me. I like the Cherry Blossom and Fruit Smoothie flavors. I like that they're really portable and easy to chew, and that they are small "doses" if you will, which makes me a little less likely to cramp after eating them. I usually eat 2 at a time and may have 2-3 during the course of 13.5 miles. Lately I've been eating the first 2 chews at about mile 7-8.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Where does everyone purchase their fuel? On line or at sports stores? I've seen some on Amazon.

I actually am stopping by ****'s this afternoon to get the Honey Stinger chews.

LOL! Didn't realize it would edit that out - D1ck's Sporting Goods! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Like I said before... start out by getting stuff locally. Grocery stores are carrying more and more of this kind of stuff, sporting goods stores usually have some, and specialty shops often have some too (bike shops, running shops, etc). Until you know what you like and don't like, go with what's easier to get/try.

Once you find things you like, then you can order online for better selection of flavors, prices, etc.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm a proponent of deprivation training. I don't use any fuel on a run of any distance (up to 21 miles, currently). This trains the body to more efficiently use it's own energy sources. Same thing with fluids. I don't use any sports drinks. I rarely take water as it's just not necessary unless it's really, really hot. There is no performance degradation until around 5% of body weight lost in fluid, and no real physical signs of dehydration until you get closer to 10%. Most of us are never even going to come anywhere near that rate of loss. My last 20 miler, I weighed before and after and I lost 5.5 pounds on a mid 70°F day. That's about 4.5% of my body weight. I finished with negative splits, running the last two miles faster than any other mile.

All that being said, I will do one or two long runs with the gel that I plan to use in a race. For a HM, I will take one gel at an hour. For a marathon, one every 45 minutes. So, I test this on my long run, just to make sure they settle well on my stomach.
  • ibanez450
    ibanez450 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Typically, I run 4-8 miles at a time... I've never carried water with me. If I do a race, I'll drink at the water stations, but when I run on my own, I never carry anything. Even on 10+ mile runs, I've never carried water... I run till the tank is empty and then go home lol.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

You can get them through Amazon or pretty much any running / sporting goods store or you can make your own (and save $$$$$$)
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have done eight half marathons, one full & a tri. I am currently training for another full & an ultra. In no way am I a believer in the deprivation training for myself, especially w/ the high heat & humidity. My body needs liquids & fuel for these long runs. I drink watered-down Gatorade & use Gu gel because through trial & error I've found this is what works for me. One of the big things w/ your training runs is to find out what works best for you. You can find a big variety of gels, sport beans, bars, etc. at sporting goods or running stores. Get what sounds good to you & try them out on your runs. I will Gu every 45 minutes on runs lasting longer than 90 minutes. Good luck to you!
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I take Stingers before I run. If it's especially hot (which it tends to be in Texas), I'll take a Gu as well. After that, I take a Gu every 40mins to an hour. I always have water with me and usually drink every walk break. I do run\walk.

For my half marathons, I always take Stingers and Gu before and every 40mins after that, depending on the heat. I'm out over two hours, so I need the fuel.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I'm a proponent of deprivation training. I don't use any fuel on a run of any distance (up to 21 miles, currently). This trains the body to more efficiently use it's own energy sources. Same thing with fluids. I don't use any sports drinks. I rarely take water as it's just not necessary unless it's really, really hot. There is no performance degradation until around 5% of body weight lost in fluid, and no real physical signs of dehydration until you get closer to 10%. Most of us are never even going to come anywhere near that rate of loss. My last 20 miler, I weighed before and after and I lost 5.5 pounds on a mid 70°F day. That's about 4.5% of my body weight. I finished with negative splits, running the last two miles faster than any other mile.

All that being said, I will do one or two long runs with the gel that I plan to use in a race. For a HM, I will take one gel at an hour. For a marathon, one every 45 minutes. So, I test this on my long run, just to make sure they settle well on my stomach.

Interesting that this article showed up today

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/The-Benefits-Of-Running-On-Empty.htm?cmp=17-1-3165

"Researchers have found that training in a carb-depleted state helps the muscles adapt to burning more fat and boosts your body's capacity for stored carbohydrate by as much as 50 percent. "
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    "Researchers have found that training in a carb-depleted state helps the muscles adapt to burning more fat and boosts your body's capacity for stored carbohydrate by as much as 50 percent. "

Not to completely hijack the thread, but...
    Is that necessarily a good thing for people with body composition related goals?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Is that necessarily a good thing for people with body composition related goals?

Probably not. But then again, training for a marathon with the goal of achieving the highest level of performance possible, is probably not a good idea for someone who has body composition related goals.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Probably not. But then again, training for a marathon with the goal of achieving the highest level of performance possible, is probably not a good idea for someone who has body composition related goals.

Obviously very different goals... just wanted to be clear for other people who may see the thread.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    b
  • mamafish2313
    Options
    The chews sound great. What are stingers? Are they like yellow jackets? Those are awful.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    The chews sound great. What are stingers? Are they like yellow jackets? Those are awful.

They're a honey based version of GU and they also make a wafer type of fuel.

http://www.honeystinger.com/
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump