To Ride or Spin?

Options
dancingj2
dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
Which is a better work out?

http://magazine.foxnews.com/food-wellness/better-workout-spinning-vs-cycling

Personally I find spinning is harder. I need to go to gym, its inside and I can't coast :(

My bike is just in the garage, waiting for me, encouraging me to go out and enjoy the fresh air. Sometimes I ride fast, other times I take it easy and bring some snacks. So long as its not raining, I would rather be riding my bike. And the exercise you will actually do is better than the one that is better on paper but you never do.

So for me, riding may be easier but it is better.

Replies

• Rain36
    Rain36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love spinning and find it harder than cycling, I can't coast and we do inclines by putting the resistance up, definitely feel as if I'm using my quads as well as my hamstrings.

I do enjoy cycling in the summer but don't class it as exercise it's more recreational.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    They're different. Spinning you can do programs and focus on certain techniques/elements that are much harder to do during an actual ride. Actual riding has elements that are very hard to simulate on a trainer/spin bike.

So which is better? Depends on what you want to accomplish. Both have their place.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As for one being easier than the other, my guess is that you are pushing yourself harder on one vs the other, which makes it seem harder. If you had a trainer/coach next to you during a real ride yelling at you during sprints and taking you on the biggest hills in town, your ride experience may be very different than those you do on your own.
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    I'd go with Spin, however that's largely because I have shocking balance and am not sure if I actually know how to ride a 'proper' bike. Riding on the road scares me too because as a driver I know how many idiots there are out there. So for now I'm sticking with the Spin Bike!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not hardcore enough to ride outdoors all year 'round so I use my trainer at home in the winter and spin at my tri club ( they offer a "Tour De France program in fall and the base phase of the Tri Training Program starts in January)

Each has it's purpose but I'd rather be on my bike outside..........
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I think cycling outside is harder because you're not only having to work to keep the bike moving, but you're also working your stabilizers cornering and basically just keeping the bike balanced and upright.

I personally enjoy both. If the weather's nice I'd much rather be out on my bike riding taking advantage of that.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I tried a spinning bike at the gym once and I could never get it adjusted comfortably. I can ride for hours on my bike. That being said, I did look into one of those real trainers (not a gym spinner) and it was more like riding a bike than a spinning bike.

I do believe there is a difference in spinning and cycling. I feel both are whatever you make of them.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt summed it up, imo. Topic done!!11
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I love spinning!! It's one of my favorite workouts. But like on of the other posters said, which is a better workout, it depends. I've had teachers in spinning that don't really motivate me and I lose focus and don't push myself as hard. I've also done bike rides that I can coast and don't do many hills to really challenge myself. I would say find which one motivates you more to push yourself and you'll find that's the best workout. My teacher in spinning now is a GREAT motivator and I find myself pushing myself every second of the class. My opinion though from when I first started, spinning takes a lot of endurance to stand and cycle for most of the class and at that time I was able to ride my bike for miles (like 20-30 miles), so I think spinning is harder.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I would say spinning is harder unless you're riding up a monster hill or something... even on the "downhill" in spin class you're still working. I wouldn't know unless I got on my bike and actually went out and rode somewhere (with hills and such).

I do know this... either way you're still moving and getting your exercise in!
  • JulieHearts
    JulieHearts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Spin spin spin! For me, the time spent spinning it is the most efficient calorie burning workout I have ever done. l find it hard to workout alone and stay motivated so the class setting and excellent instructors, music and varied terrain (flat endurance, heart rate pushing climbs) makes for a great workout.

On the flip side, cycling is excellent too... all depends if its a leisurely ride or a workout. Either way, as long as you are moving, its good for you :)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Cycling is harder as you have to move yourself, the weight of the bike, the wind resistance, most good cyclist sprint up the hills, and then power down the other side.
    On the spincycle you can coast just as easily as you can on a bike. That huge 30kg - 40kg weight at the front of you will spin without you putting in a lot of effort, just in the same way you can coast downhill on a bike. I’ve never actually done a spin class, but having watched a few, and seen some of the nonsense they expect you to do I doubt that you’ll get as much benefit from 40 minutes of spinning as I get from 40 minutes of cycling.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Out on the road you have to be awake and focused, and do your time at the front, In the spinclass you can hide in the crowd and work less hard.
  • dancingj2
    Options
    I'm not hardcore enough to ride outdoors all year 'round so I use my trainer at home in the winter and spin at my tri club ( they offer a "Tour De France program in fall and the base phase of the Tri Training Program starts in January)

Each has it's purpose but I'd rather be on my bike outside..........

Sometime in the last few years I guess I drifted in to the hard core category. I will ride outside as long as it is above 20F.
  • dancingj2
    Options
    Cycling is harder as you have to move yourself, the weight of the bike, the wind resistance, most good cyclist sprint up the hills, and then power down the other side.
    On the spincycle you can coast just as easily as you can on a bike. That huge 30kg - 40kg weight at the front of you will spin without you putting in a lot of effort, just in the same way you can coast downhill on a bike. I’ve never actually done a spin class,

The reaction - or non reaction of a spin bike really felt weired to me. I guess I was accustomed to the movement and weight of a real bike.

As for coasting on a spin bike? As I recall the ones I used did not let you stop pedaling. The spin bike forces you to keep pedaling even you are not pushing on the pedals.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    To me there is something inherently wrong about riding a bike and not going anywhere, just feels weird. I don't look at it as JUST a workout, it's an adventure, the feel of the wind through your helmet, the road under your wheels, the rednecks yelling at you from their passing trucks, you don't get any of that in a spin class.

That said, I'd like to try to see how I stack up. But I have a feeling I'll be buying a trainer this winter since I moved to a place that is much colder and has more snow/ice than I'm used to, we'll see.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    On the spincycle you can coast just as easily as you can on a bike. That huge 30kg - 40kg weight at the front of you will spin without you putting in a lot of effort, just in the same way you can coast downhill on a bike. I’ve never actually done a spin class,

The reaction - or non reaction of a spin bike really felt weired to me. I guess I was accustomed to the movement and weight of a real bike.

As for coasting on a spin bike? As I recall the ones I used did not let you stop pedaling. The spin bike forces you to keep pedaling even you are not pushing on the pedals.
    If you're pedling without effort you are gaining nothing, like walking slowly on a travelator, No effort is needed on your part, unless you are wlaking the wrong way.
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I plan to find out this winter. Never done a spin class before but just told my wife last night we need to join the Y and spin class for Jan, Feb, and Mar. Try to ride outside but 1 night a week spinning would be nice in the winter
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The better workout is the one you will do!

I can ride my bicycle outdoors for 20+ hours a week, and most weeks i get at least 10, the most spin i ever do is 1-2 hours in a week. In my case, the bicycling is the better workout, because it is the one i do willfully and with glee.