Gaining weight, unable to workout. Need help. Please.

Options
Hi there, I'm 5'3, a female, and my weight current fluctuates from 132-135 lbs. 4-5 months ago I weighed around 120-125 and I felt very comfortable with my weight. But then I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and at the same time I got plantar fasciitis. I was put on snythroid medication which shot up my metabolism, and I did not have control over what I was eating anymore. I started eating way above my maintenance level, and at the same time, having plantar fasciitis, it was extremely painful to exercise.

Due to my foot problem (despite trying various solutions) I still cannot work out to my full potential. Cardio is clearly not an option right now because I do not want to worsen my injury by putting stress on it. I've considered going low calorie, about 1000 calories a day with 3-4 times of strength/weight training without any cardio. Will this be adequate for me to implement until my feet get better, and I can workout to my potential? How much weight could I lose?
I'm just extremely depressed about my weight piling on. I feel disgusting, and feel like desperate times call for desperate measures. Thank you.

Replies

• TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What about strength training instead of cardio?
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Have you considered swimming? The only time you push off with your feet is at the walls, but if you take it a little slower you can avoid that and still get a great cardio workout.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I would stick to At least 1200 calories....and if anything try to do some strength training. I know it's discouraging to not be able to do cardio, but lifting weights can really make a difference.
  • bismah55
    Options
    That's what I was thinking.
    Will strength training with 1000 calories a day ensure weight loss?
    I've always been dependent on cardio to lose weight in the past. Never really tried strength/weight training.
    Also, I've been on 1200 calories a day before, but with hypothyroidism my metabolism does not work very fast. With 1200 calories, i REALLY had to work my butt off in the gym to lose a mere 0.5-1 lb a week. So I feel if I stick with 1200 with merely strength training, I won't get anywhere.
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Absolutely weight training will be more than enough! The common misconception with a lot of women is that they need to push cardio, when really the results you want you will obtain through weightlifting!
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Totally agreed!!!!!
  • LipSmackingFun
    LipSmackingFun Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have had plantar faciotomy as well but have since had surgery. I just want to say, you can still do cardio, riding a stationary bike will not bother you. Also, if you're not able to have the surgery, strenghtening the calf and ankle muscles will help tremendously in allievating the pain. Don't go below 1200 calories. It's not healthy. Good Luck!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Absolutely weight training will be more than enough! The common misconception with a lot of women is that they need to push cardio, when really the results you want you will obtain through weightlifting!

^^^^Yes! GREAT response!!!

Also, as mentioned, bump your calories up to 1200.
  • jenihullett
    jenihullett Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I'm just extremely depressed about my weight piling on. I feel disgusting, and feel like desperate times call for desperate measures.

Honey, I don't think the times are as desperate as you think. Most of us are our harshest critics, but sometimes extremes do more harm than good. It feels good to lose weight, but please do it in a healthy way or you may end up doing more damage to yourself in the long run. If you really want a second opinion, perhaps talking to your doctor or a dietician would help in regards to the 1000 calorie diet. Personally, I stopped losing weight at 1200 calories per day, and started to lose 1-2 lbs per week again on a 1750 calorie diet. Everyone's bodies react differently, and it's not always as simple as "eat less, weight less". You may need to fiddle with it for a bit to find what works the best for you. Just don't get too discouraged. We're all works in progress.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 lbs in 3 months while barely being able to walk (I had a knee injury). I did weights. I also did some recumbent bicycle at the gym.

I would recommend swimming, weight training and recumbent bike if you can.