turkey sausage

Options
Aross83
Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
Hi All,
So i have turkey sausage to cook tonight.
what should i make with it?
i was thinking black beans onions and peppers cliantro.. im staying away from carbs so any ideas would be appreciated!!

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My advice is gravy. Turkey sausage is very dry.
  • Aross83
    Options
    hmm thanks, the turkey sausage i get is very moist..
  • lmnosser
    lmnosser Posts: 43
    Options
    spaghetti squash?

that's what i'm doing tonight :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I like sausage and peppers myself. I get the link sausage, cut it up in to pieces, cook it. Add 1/2 Green, Red, and Yellow Pepper, a whole Jalepeno and a 1/2 an onion. Cook them. I add some crushed red pepper, and just when things are good and soft I add in Franks Red Hot (about 1/4 cup, but I love hot stuff). The sodium isn't the greatest, but it's easy and tasty.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    We make a kind of a make-shift jambalaya with ours. Lots of fresh veggies and some wochestershire, garlic salt, and a little brown rice. It's quite yummy and very filling. I know it has some carbs (don't know which diet your are following), but they are good complex carbs.
  • Aross83
    Options
    We make a kind of a make-shift jambalaya with ours. Lots of fresh veggies and some wochestershire, garlic salt, and a little brown rice. It's quite yummy and very filling. I know it has some carbs (don't know which diet your are following), but they are good complex carbs.

- I was thinking something like this with brown rice..i am just trying to stay away from carbs at night. but i think i might do something like this..
    thanks!
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I slice it up and cook it in a cast iron skillet with onions and mushrooms until the kitchen smells really good. Then add sliced zuchinni and any other veggie I feel like or have laying laying around.

In another pot, I boil pasta (whole wheat is you are being good).

Back in the cast iron skillet I toss in whatever seasonings float my boat that day. (pepper, Thai chili paste, Italian seasonings, garlic, whatever) and about a cup of low sodium broth. Cook until the veggies are just soft enough to easily spear with a fork.

Toss the drained pasta with the cast iron goodness and enjoy.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    hmm thanks, the turkey sausage i get is very moist..

What brand do you buy?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    The kind I get is pretty moist too. I cook it up with eggs, diced tomatoes and green onions and make a big breakfast scramble!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    The kind I get is pretty moist too. I cook it up with eggs, diced tomatoes and green onions and make a big breakfast scramble!

That sounds really good. Do you bake it?? How long and at what temp?? xx
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Ok, PLEASE, where are you guys finding moist turkey sausage?
  • Aross83
    Options
    I either buy Shadybrook turkey sausage or in this case its from a local market that makes it at the market.
    Trader joes has some good turkey/ chicken sausage too.
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm having Turkey Sausage tonight too! Figures some fresh peppers and spanish onion with a few fresh mushrooms...sautee the works...the fam can have a side of potatoes or pasta and I will probably have a tomato salad with a bit of mozzarella, fresh basil and balsamic vinegar...I like to just add a little Dijon mustard on my plate for dipping the sausage..mmmm...can't wait for supper now!
  • butterfli7o
    Options
    I use Jennie-O or Sam's Club brand Lean, not Extra Lean. I tried the extra lean once and it was definitely way drier. the lean is 93/7, I believe.
  • butterfli7o
    Options

That sounds really good. Do you bake it?? How long and at what temp?? xx

I've done the oven and the stovetop. For both, cook the turkey on the stove about halfway done and drain, then either put in a big casserole dish and add your whisked eggs and whatever veggies you want. If you're using a lot of eggs (like a dozen), the key is lower temps and longer, or you'll over-cook the outside and the inside will be raw. I'd do 300 degrees and try a half-hour. Then just test it and go from there. For the stovetop, just pour your eggs in pan with the turkey and scramble it. :)
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We like this "faux' breakfast casserole: thaw two packets of frozen chopped spinach and squeeze all the water out; mix either 2 eggs or 2 eggbeaters in the spinach and spread it on the bottom of a lightly sprayed casserole dish. Cook your 1 pounds of turkey sausage in a skillet until brown, breaking up into little crumbles; add 2 tablespoons flour and coat the sausage in the skillet ; add 1.5 cups of milk and mix in skilley; heat until just boiling and the liquid thickening, stirring once in awhile; spread a layer shredded cheese (Parmesan, 2 % reduced fat cheddar, whatever you like) on top of the spinach; pour the sausage mixture over that; top with just a little more shredded cheese and if you like green onions, some sliced green onions. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes but check it around 25 minutes to see whether it has set and is getting golden brown on top. Serves 6
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Thanks! I will look for those brands. I have tried it twice now and just went back to pork sausage and watching my fat the rest of the day.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have also cooking turkey sausage although I am making mine in jambalaya. That is probably not going to work for you due to the carbs in the rice. I do love turkey sausage in a skillet with a little bit of oil, onions and bell peppers though (like a fajita mix). It is really good and low on the carbs.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You said you're staying away from carbs. How far away? Because if you want to keep the amount of carbs really low, you may want to forget about the black beans or use very little of them. They have about 20 grams per half cup.
  • Aross83
    Options
    Sausage-potatoes-peppers-and-zucchini.jpg

maybe something like this without the potatoes