HRM batteries?!

Options
Hey MFP! Happy almost friday :)

How often do you all find the need to change the battery in your HRM transmitter? I have a Polar RS300X (just slightly fancier than the FT7) and it seems to have been on the fritz lately. Even the exercise machines which usually pick up my heart rate when I'm wearing it go haywire. On the machine, one second I've got a pulse of 200, the next second I've got 45. My watch won't even register my heart rate. It gives up after 5 minutes and just acts like a stop watch.

I regularly wash my strap in the shower with mild soap so I don't think that's it.

Any advice or personal experiences are welcome!!!

Amy

Replies

• Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I was told to replace the strap. the watch will alert you when th

the battery dies. Even washing it, customer service said it would be the first thing to go.
  • 608peg
    608peg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting as I have a FT7 and I have been getting some weird reading also and was wondering if I should change batteries or what. Will keep an eye on this thread.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    About a year.

Pretty sure the FT series has a replaceable battery so you shouldn't need to ditch the strap like the older models.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Make sure that when you put it on, that it is slightly damp so that there is a solid connection. Mine won't pick up my HR sometimes unless I lick my fingers and rub them on the inside of the strap.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I had a similar thing and also thought it was the battery. It turned out I was wearing it too high up and not tight enough, I think my boobs or bra strap was getting in the way of the signal, and the lack of tightness meant it wasn't properly registering my heart beat.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    It probably the strap. Mine does the same thing. I have the FT7.
    It's only been a few months so I'm hoping to get it replaced for free.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I got about a year out of my Suunto watch battery. Chest strap is still going strong.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I was having problems with weird readings from my Polar FT7. I replaced the battery but still had problems. I would wash my strap as suggested but never rinsed it after each use as suggested. I started doing that and it got better but not perfect. Finally I cleaned the watch itself with an alcohol wipe and that seemed to do the trick.
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Is your strap too loose or too tight? I've read that that can affect it. My FT4 kept zeroing out in the middle of my workouts. Someone mentioned that my strap may be getting too loose. I tightened it and haven't had any more problems.
  • LoriLoves2Run
    Options
    You might try using some ultrasound gel under your strap or even licking (ew, but it works) the sensors on the strap if it starts acting goofy. Usually my strap acts silly until I get sweaty enough for it to stick to me. I've also read that you can wear the sensors on your back.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i mean, i've had it for a year. it's worked up until now. yes, i dampen the strap and yes i wear it tightly but not too tight. again, it's worked for a year up until now...
  • SmudgerSmithRhino
    Options
    Hi,

Try tightening the strap. Mine was getting twitchy and I made the strap shorter and so far so good!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and it acts up every once in a while. I too thought it was the batteries but not too long after changing the batteries out (which are a pain to find in stores) it messed up again. It goes through fits and sometimes wetting the strap isn't enough. I'm thinking changing the strap out is the way to go. I'll be doing that if I have issues again.
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Does anyone know an online retailer who actually sells the replacement strap for the FT series? All I can find is the transmitter/strap combo.
  • rhonniema
    Options
    Does anyone know an online retailer who actually sells the replacement strap for the FT series? All I can find is the transmitter/strap combo.
    Amazon
  • rhonniema
    Options
    I just did a love chat with Polar customer service & they're sending me a new strap to see if that's the issue.
    Don't email them because they won't respond.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/contact_us/email_polar
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for almost three years and it is still going strong. I did have the watch battery die and the instructions say to take it to the store where it was purchased because of the water resistance feature. Well, that sporting goods store tells me that they do not do that. I took it to Walmart and they refused, also. Thank goodness we have a battery store in town. They fixed everything for me.
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Amazon

Thanks!