Tracking works but it is hard on the weekends...

Options
I'm new to this site. I know tracking food and exercise works since I''ve lost weight that way in the past but... as I get older I find it harder to have control on weekends. Most of my friends enjoy eating and drinking. How do you get through the tough times? Looking for support and friends on this site.

Replies

• love811
    love811 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Looking for some good suggestions.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Weekends are def a challenge. Oddly the structure of a work week helps me eat better.

On weekends I try to get a bump in calories from exercise. I try to check for low calorie options before going to restaurants and drink water with any meal. If do choose to drink alcohol , I try to have one drink, then one water to keep me from drinking too much. I am also getting back to having fresh fruit around the house to snack on rather than other things.

If you are looking for a friend here you can add me.
  • ktyper
    ktyper Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm 31 and a full time mother and worker. I have lost 16 lbs. using this site in less than 2 months - I've gotten several of my friends and even my dad on board and all have found success here. You have to allow yourself some "bad" days and then get right back to it the next day -- it works, anyone please feel free to add me....and we can help support each other!! Good Luck!!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good little shock to the system if you don't go completely off the deep end. Some time ago there was a lot of buzz about zig zag dieting. Meaning, alter your calorie intake much like you would vary your exercise routine. Some people feel that it staves off "starvation mode" by tricking your system into not storing ...well anything... for the lean times. I have found that I have a slightly bigger dip on the scale after a "bad" weekend. Just keep logging even if you aren't proud of it and drink more water. It's ok every now and then. That's life.
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know in the past i have completely destroyed an entire weeks worth of hard work in just one weekend....weekends are tough when your losing weight but the way I see it, we are on a life style changing experience!!!!
    you know the old saying, ' IF YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS DONE YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN'
    I was always saying to myself, I can enjoy the foods I used to eat when i get a little weight off, the truth is NO you cant...sure you can eat things in moderation, but lets face it, if you are over indulgent you will gain!!
    Life happens, and you have to be able to adjust but when you are losing weight one simple party or one weekend can seriously throw off your game...
    IF you have things like happy hour every day, you have to find a way to 'save' calories for that meal...or you have to work off the extras somehow....
    I think the most important thing is to keep a journal of everything...No exceptions!
    I did find a nice way to make a great low cal Margarita and that was using sugar free sweet n sour mix...its great and I cant tell the difference...but I don't have them often because for me drinking leads to over eating I don't know why but it does....
    and for those of you who have a smart phone android or iphone you can download the MFP onto your phone and it even features an awesome food scanner that will input your calories and keep you up to date even while away from home!!!
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The structure of the work week helps me too. But when I go out or on weekends, I try to "eat this, not that" and make healthy substitutions where I can. It can be really easy to mess up though. What I'll suggest is....do good on the weekends and if you go a little over, be ok with it. Just dont do what I used to do....healthy and good all week and then enough calories for 3 days on sunday...that defeats the purpose.
  • debinmb
    debinmb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Helpful and wise. Thank you!
    :bigsmile:
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal weight - so some of what I say might not apply - but I track what I can and then make a reasonable effort to stay within the calorie goal. It is generally easy for me to track my breakfast and lunch - but then dinner can be tough especially if alcohol is involved as a couple beers or drinks can add a lot of calories. I look at the number of calories I have allotted for dinner and try to stay within the range. If I go over (eating out can be difficult) I try to eat less the next day - or use more calories through exercise. Best of luck.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, try the MFP app. You don't need to go to a computer, just whip out your phone and log. I found that by logging beers as I drink them, I tend to not drink too much as the calorie hit slaps me in the face when I see it in my log. I try to get every calorie back that I can by just doing little things. I stand in social gatherings rather than sit. If I'm at someone's house or a bar having a few drinks, I stand. If someone puts out food, I'll make a small plate and nibble on it and not go back for seconds. In the past I'd just camp by the food and shovel it in at will. Also, weekends are when I have time to do things like go for a bike ride or take longer walks with my dog. That buys me more calories to have fun with. Be creative. You'll find plenty of ways to off-set some of the damage done to your daily limits.
  • coms17
    coms17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's definitely tough to get through the weekends. I love food and enjoy drinks with friends and I have realized just how much that has sabotaged my weight loss. If I know I'm going to eat out, then I'm really good for the day and save the calories and fat. As for drinks, I'm not doing so well there...haha. But it sucks to enter them in and see the calories increase so much. So I'm going to stay to one or two drinks and then I get to drink with friends but stay on track as well. I'm NEVER going to be a person who doesn't crave a burger or pizza or some other bad-for-you food, but it really is about moderation and not doing it every day. Also, if you go off-track, make sure to get back to the routine the next day. One bad day does not have to mean 7 bad days. And a bad day here and there is not going to ruin everything. It's a marathon.....not a sprint. Lastly, make the time to work out on the weekends; this way you have more calories and fat to work with.
  • debinmb
    debinmb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can see already how the community part of this website will be helpful. Thank you all for such great suggestions and supportive comments.