HELP! Appetizer lunch at work tomorrow! Need ideas!

Options
aprilwilliams2729
aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
We're having a going away party for one of the girls at work and they decided to make it a potluck appetizer lunch. So I need an idea of something to take for it - I'd like to do something OTHER than a veggie tray (I'll probably have to eat just what I bring!).

Any ideas?!?!?!? (I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted it here and in the food and nutrition board)

Thanks! :)

Replies

• dangerdj
    dangerdj Posts: 17
    Options
    A quick and easy appetizer is cherry tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and Bocconcini on toothpicks. Then have some balsamic vinaigrette with olive oil on the side (people can drizzle it on as they see fit). Plus it looks great on a plate lined up in a circular fashion.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    this is my go to appetizer for parties.... and sometimes i leave out the cream cheese....

Avocado Pesto-Stuffed Tomatoes

Ingredients

cherry tomatoes (about 1-1/4 pints)
    1/2
    medium avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut up
    ounces cream cheese, softened
    tablespoons homemade or purchased basil pesto
    teaspoon lemon juice
    Snipped fresh basil (optional)

Directions

1. Cut a thin slice from the top of each tomato. (If desired, cut a thin slice from bottoms of tomatoes so they stand upright.) With a small spoon or small lemon baller carefully hollow out the tomatoes. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Invert tomatoes on the towels. Let stand 30 minutes to drain.

2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a food processor bowl combine avocado, cream cheese, pesto, and lemon juice. Cover; process until smooth. Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round or open star tip.

3. Place tomatoes, open sides up, on a serving platter. Pipe filling into the tomato cups. Serve immediately or cover loosely and refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving. Sprinkle with snipped basil before serving. Makes 30 appetizers.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hmm....how insistent are they on the "appetizer" part of it? I always enjoy bringing chili to these things. I have a healthy veggie chili that everyone loves ( I never get leftovers!). You can find it here: http://jenna3.livejournal.com/311174.html
    The last three ingredients are optional for fun.

Otherwise....

Stuffed mushrooms-just be picky about what you stuff them with. Whole grain bread crumbs and low-fat cheese are a good base. Add some chicken sausage for extra protein if you want.

Stuffed grape tomatoes-non-fat cream cheese, herbs

Deviled eggs
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-deviled-eggs/detail.aspx
    I skip the sugar personally.

Veggies and guacamole
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/guacamole/detail.aspx

Shrimp is always fun too. I found a marinated grilled shrimp recipe
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marinated-grilled-shrimp/detail.aspx

Three Bean Salad is another fav of mine
    1 can each dark red kidney beans, wax beans, garbonzo beans (chick peas)
    sliced olives
    chopped onions
    Italian-style dressing of choice
    Mix it all together and you got your veggies, protein and fiber all in one.

HTH
  • Aventuria
    Aventuria Posts: 151
    Options
    A few ideas, although the tomato/brocconcini wre on my mind as well... :drinker:

Vietnamese Fresh Rolls (Rice paper rolls)
    Or try out low calorie muffin recipes
    Chicken mince meatballs or falafel
    Cherry tomatoes filled with basil, pine nuts and cottage cheese
  • kirchren
    Options
    Here's my go-to party recipe. It makes a lot, but usually gets gobbled up. I'm sure you could adjust the sugar/oil a bit to save on some calories, but I always get asked for the recipe for this when I take it to an event.

Texas Caviar Bean Dip
    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 Tab water
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup sugar
    1 tea salt
    1/2 tea ground pepper
    1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
    1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans
    1 (15 oz) can black beans
    1 (15 oz) can black eyed peas
    2 (11 oz) cans white shoepeg corn
    2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chilis
    1 (2 oz) jar finely chopped pimentos
    1 cup chopped green pepper
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 small onion finely chopped

Combine water, vinegar, oil, sugar, salt & pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 minute. Cool to room temperature. In large container, combine all other ingredients. Once marinade is cool, pour over ingredients & combine. Chill covered for 24 hours. Serve with tortilla or pita chips.

You can substitute home cooked beans or frozen corn, just use the same amount. VERY tasty.

Karen
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yumm! These sound great! Thanks for all of the ideas! :)
  • kirchren
    Options
    Hummus is always good too. Easy to make and you can dip veggies in it.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    From skinnytaste.com though it says eat warm, still delicious at room temp! And who doesn't love bacon!

Skinny Spinach and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 11 • Serving Size: 1 mushroom • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 1 pts
    Calories: 34.7 • Fat: 1.5 g • Protein: 2.9 g • Carb: 3.2 g • Fiber: 0.9 g • Sugar: 0.7
    Sodium: 58.3 (without salt)

Ingredients:

14 oz (1 package) fresh mushrooms, stems separated
    2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
    4 cups fresh baby spinach
    4 slices center cut bacon
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
    Smart Balance cooking spray
    Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a foil lined baking pan or baking dish with cooking spray.

Remove stems from mushrooms and mince fine.

Heat a medium sized skillet. Rinse spinach and add to the skillet; cook until it wilts, about 2
    minutes. Remove from the pan, squeeze excess liquid and chop fine. Set aside.

Dry skillet, add bacon to the skillet and cook on low heat until bacon is cooked through. Set aside on a paper towel. Coarsely chop.

Clean skillet and add olive oil to the pan. Add garlic and saute until golden, about 2 minutes. Add minced mushroom stems and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and combine mushroom stems with sauteed spinach, bacon, bread crumbs, and parmesan
    cheese.

Season mushroom caps with salt. Fill mushrooms with spinach mixture, rounding tops off. Place on an oven safe dish and lightly spray the tops with oil.

Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Eat warm. (but is still good at room temp)

Makes about 11 medium sized mushrooms.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I do little deli meat and cheese pops.

2 different deli meats. I usually use a low sodium ham and a low sodium turkey
    1 slice of the ultra thin cheese - provolone is my choice
    3 basil leaves per roll

I lay them on top of each other, roll them up. Put a toothpick every inch and cut in between. 5 pops per roll and about 20 cal each.

As a sauce I make a dijon mustard, FF yogurt, and rosemary dip. Extra hot sauce (cuz that's the way I like it)
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bumping for party ideas
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    grabbing pen & paper and writing all these down - I love appetizers - and I'll definately be trying these out
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Bacon Bundled BBQ shrimp.
    Sassy Southern Eggrolls
    Bacon `n` cheese bellpepper skins
    mmmmm-azing mushroom tartlets
    Devil-ish eggs
    Scoopable chinese chicken salad (Not appetizer but is delicious)
    Also I have dips/spreads if you wanna make them and serve with crackers or homemade pita chips which is in the hungry girl book?
    These recipes are from hungrygirl cookbook, Im busy at the moment but if you want the recipe ill post it later.
  • christinensinger
    christinensinger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out Chicken wing meatballs on Skinnygirl or skinnytaste wenbsite. They are AMAZING! and I'm making them tomorrow for a work potluck myself... I promise you will not have left overs :)
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bump