Cheat Dinner and/or Day - Thoughts?

Options
Lately, I've read a lot of successful weight loss blogs and a lot of them allow themselves a cheat day or dinner. What do y'all think of this?

I'm on the fence about it...the fat girl in me says, "Oh thank god!" but that other girl knows that a heroin addict doesn't get a day to do as much heroin as she wants! Lol.

So...what do you think? Think it's just an unnecessary excuse to satisfy the beast or a necessary evil for long-term weight loss success?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think that this is pretty much an individual decision.

I think that some people may have greater dietary adherence knowing that they can have a meal or a day to relax and eat what they want.

I think that some people will use it as an excuse.

I think that some people will go way overboard on their cheat day and potentially hurt their progress.

I think that some people will not be able to resume their plan after a cheat day.

Ultimately, it boils down to energy balance, so the cheat day still has a "cost" associated to it. But if it's what keeps a dieter on the plan, and if the average is a net deficit, it can be a successful method.

I take regular days off, for mental reasons. I value being a normal person and not tracking every damn thing I put in my mouth.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

I think that some people may have greater dietary adherence knowing that they can have a meal or a day to relax and eat what they want.

I think that some people will go way overboard on their cheat day and potentially hurt their progress.

I think that some people will not be able to resume their plan after a cheat day.

Ultimately, it boils down to energy balance, so the cheat day still has a "cost" associated to it. But if it's what keeps a dieter on the plan, and if the average is a net deficit, it can be a successful method.

I take regular days off, for mental reasons. I value being a normal person and not tracking every damn thing I put in my mouth.

just stalking...jump jump jump YAAAAAAY
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days every once in a while because it helps me stick with it.If I don't have the occasional day I can eat the foods I crave it turns into me spending two weeks eating everything and anything I get a taste for.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have cheat weekends every now and then. I don't go mental but I do eat what I like and I'm more than happy to get back on track Monday morning.

For me it means I can have something I enjoy without stressing too much BUT I will say I do it with the view that if I gain weight that's fine, I'm in this for the long haul, I'm not expecting the weight to fall off and if the odd fun weekend slows my progress a little then that's ok with me.

(I haven't ever gained, just not lost FWIW.)
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    Have one thing you like apart from your normal food, like a chocolate bar, once a week... but I think you can have a whole dinner once a month... It'll wreck some of your progress and everything will take longer but you'll still lose weight if you're on 1200 calories
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    Im just starting with logging everything but I too believe it depends on the person. For myself, I can see having a cheat dinner here and there but depending on what it is, I will still do a hefty workout to help counteract some of the calories etc.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Have one thing you like apart from your normal food, like a chocolate bar, once a week... but I think you can have a whole dinner once a month... It'll wreck some of your progress and everything will take longer but you'll still lose weight if you're on 1200 calories

You know most people can still lose weight even if they're eating more than 1200 calories, right?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Yes, this.
  • smudgeroo
    Options
    I think a 'cheat' day (don't really like calling it that) is necessary for my sanity, and also to keep my body guessing. If I regulate my calorie intake to the same level (give or take a few) for several weeks, my body gets used to it and slows down the burn. By having a takeaway (or whatever) once in a while, my metabolism has to stay on its toes. And I don't feel resentful about what I "can't" eat, and give up altogether.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think you can have an occasional treat when you feel like it without feeling bad. You don't need to call it 'cheating' because you shouldn't feel guilty. Just don't binge.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

You know most people can still lose weight even if they're eating more than 1200 calories, right?

1200? blah. no thanks.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a couple weeks because Friday or Saturday was when bf & I would go out, so I would eat "normally" within moderation. I would have a healthy breakfast, maybe a slice of pizza with garlic bread and a SMALL soda for lunch, then wherever he wanted to take me for dinner. I wouldn't gorge myself, but it was usually just foods I don't normally have in my diet. I still lost weight those two weeks... but having those "bad foods" in my body just made me crave them more... needless to say it derailed my diet, and that was back in March, and I'm just now getting back to eating right. So for me, right now...cheat day or meal is out.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Check out Tom Venutos take on it. Very interesting and honest. Makes yah think
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It's definitely an individual decision. Some people swear by it, others never do. I don't have regular cheat days but if we go away for the weekend, I don't worry so much. I make conscious decisions but I eat what I want and get right back on the wagon come Monday.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I have cheat days every once in a while because it helps me stick with it.If I don't have the occasional day I can eat the foods I crave it turns into me spending two weeks eating everything and anything I get a taste for.

Have you tried working the foods you like into an "otherwise balance/controlled" diet?
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I do a whole day..but i burn like 7,000 calories in a 6 days.. Some ppl are scared of cheat day, but i think you should have a high calorie day so you do not go in to starvation mode.

I say Use your own judgment..if you workout your as* off and you know you'll be fine have the dinner!!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten more than 1200 calories as my base. I occasionally will go over at a cookout or a wedding and then I declare it a cheat day. I still log every bite that goes in because it helps me track progress. I sometimes have a hard time getting back on track after a binge day/ weekend but it can be done. I've lost almost 60lbs with a few hiccups here and there but it has become a lifestyle change not a diet
  • ellebish
    ellebish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think a 'cheat' day (don't really like calling it that) is necessary for my sanity, and also to keep my body guessing. If I regulate my calorie intake to the same level (give or take a few) for several weeks, my body gets used to it and slows down the burn. By having a takeaway (or whatever) once in a while, my metabolism has to stay on its toes. And I don't feel resentful about what I "can't" eat, and give up altogether.

totally agree with this ^^^^^
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a couple weeks because Friday or Saturday was when bf & I would go out, so I would eat "normally" within moderation. I would have a healthy breakfast, maybe a slice of pizza with garlic bread and a SMALL soda for lunch, then wherever he wanted to take me for dinner. I wouldn't gorge myself, but it was usually just foods I don't normally have in my diet. I still lost weight those two weeks... but having those "bad foods" in my body just made me crave them more... needless to say it derailed my diet, and that was back in March, and I'm just now getting back to eating right. So for me, right now...cheat day or meal is out.

That's how I am with crisps (chips). They sell Pringle-style crisps here that contain over 900 calories a tube. One evening a few weeks ago I decided I'd have a few. I ended up eating almost the entire tube in minutes! After that I became really careful not to eat junk mindlessly while on the internet or watching tv.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    By in large, I find that cheat days are for 2 types of people...

1) people looking for an excuse to eat whatever they want
    2) people who haven't figured out how to have a well rounded, balanced diet that they can sustain long term.

There's no reason you should be able to have a couple slices of pizza or a bowl of ice cream or whatever it is you like, as long as you plan for it with the rest of your eating so that it fits into your daily calorie and macro goals.