Beware the tortilla!

Options
So you would think that instead of a piece of bread, a tortilla would be better right? well guess what - tortillas (mission brand, burrito size) are 150 calories each!! anyway I was shocked at this so I thought I'd put the word out there. If you chose to go with healthier tortillas just know that they are much dryer and crack easier fyi.

Replies

• mrspalmer320
    Options
    wow i didnt know tortilla's were that high on the calorie scale! and yes the "healtier" ones arnt that great. they taste kind of like cardboard. :laugh:
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    I think the normal Mission burrito size are actually 220 cals per tortilla. The 150 sounds like it's the "healthy" ones... I have them. Whole wheat tortillas just don't cut it for me with their cardboard texture and taste.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes some tortillas out there are very high calorie, I was very surprised by some of them! And 150 does sound on the lower side too. I have Mission Plus! Multi-grain tortillas and they are 150 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. But I use them for tortilla pizzas so for a nice thin crust pizza for dinner the calories are not that bad!
  • leggi002
    leggi002 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The solution is Joseph's Oat Bran and Whole Wheat tortillas. They are soft and enfold your filling without breaking, and if you want to eat them all by themself they taste good. 70 calories, 2 grams of fat, 11 grams of carbs, 7 g fiber, and 7 g. protein. They don't taste like cardboard. They don't get moldy quickly in the fridge either.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I think the normal Mission burrito size are actually 220 cals per tortilla. The 150 sounds like it's the "healthy" ones... I have them. Whole wheat tortillas just don't cut it for me with their cardboard texture and taste.

The 150 calorie ones are not the healthy ones, they are the Medium size (soft taco size) ones. The ones that are 220 are bigger.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Tortillas are comparative to two slices of bread. So I have no problem replacing bread with a tortilla and having a wrap once in a while.

I find some can be higher in sodium than I'd like....
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    If you're looking for a good tortilla to have try Buena Vida for Low Carb Diets Tortillas, Azteca brand. They're whole wheat, 70 calories a piece and they're sooo good! They're not dry at all. And they're pretty cheap, I get them at walmart for $1.84 for a package of 8.

Calories 70
    Total Fat 4
    Sat Fat 0
    Trans Fat 0
    Cholesterol 0
    Sodium 250 mg
    Total Carbs 7g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Sugars 0
    Protein 4
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i like flat out flat bread.
    it makes for a great pizza crust too.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I agree with Arienna but WHy is this under the fitness and exercise topic and not food and nutrition?
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use La Tortilla Factory low carb

80 calories, but the best part is they have 12g fiber and 8g protein. And they are not at all dry.
  • jcompton3821
    Options
    I was also shocked!! I thought they would be a much better option but I can make a big ole turkey sandwich for the same calories!!! 2 slices of light Wonder bread are 80 calories with 6!!! slices of turkey at 80 calories and today I found honey mustard for 0!!! yes 0 calories!!! So the turkey wrap with have to be when I have more alot of calories left over!!!
  • jcompton3821
    Options
    I was also shocked!! I thought they would be a much better option but I can make a big ole turkey sandwich for the same calories!!! 2 slices of light Wonder bread are 80 calories with 6!!! slices of turkey at 80 calories and today I found honey mustard for 0!!! yes 0 calories!!! So the turkey wrap with have to be when I have more alot of calories left over!!!
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options

The 150 calorie ones are not the healthy ones, they are the Medium size (soft taco size) ones. The ones that are 220 are bigger.

It is actually 180 calories for the burrito size plus! Mission tortillas that I have.
  • gex14286
    Options
    my bad, i didnt mean to post under this section I'm new
  • jackieheard
    Options
    How about Light bread? It's small but it's only 80 calories for 2 slices. I had one t oday with my smoothie.
  • Tibur86
    Tibur86 Posts: 24
    Options
    I just recently tried the Flat Out Bread- Whole grain with flax and they are actually pretty good and soft so they don't fall apart like the whole grain tortillas do. They are 100 cals per slice and I usually only use 1/2 of 1 to make a sandwich (but i don't put much on my sandwiches...just meat and cheese). I found these in the refrigerated section by the pita bread but i have also seen them out on a shelf by the lunch meat and cheese. I also like this new bread that is round, like a bun. They are flatter than regular bread but thicker than a tortilla. Not sure how many calories they are though? And i can't remember what they are called? :) I have seen a few different brands of them now though.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a good tortilla to have try Buena Vida for Low Carb Diets Tortillas, Azteca brand. They're whole wheat, 70 calories a piece and they're sooo good! They're not dry at all. And they're pretty cheap, I get them at walmart for $1.84 for a package of 8.

Calories 70
    Total Fat 4
    Sat Fat 0
    Trans Fat 0
    Cholesterol 0
    Sodium 250 mg
    Total Carbs 7g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Sugars 0
    Protein 4

Ditto these!