Fluid Retention for long periods of time

Options
I have been a consistent exerciser for years. I typically do 2-3 bootcamp sessions per week along with NWLRFW (I just finished Stage 3 - Workout B). For the past 2-3 weeks I have felt extremely swollen and bloated all over. At first I thought that perhaps I was retaining fluid due to vacation, increasing weights/changing routine, TOM, etc. but now that I am back to my regular eating habits and routine, I am not seeing a difference. I've been trying to drink even more water than usual, watch my salt, etc. but nothing is working. To boot, the scale says I am up 2 lbs (I know that shouldn't be a huge factor, but it is).

I am frustrated with the way I feel and the fact that I feel like any muscle definition I was seeing is no longer visible to me. I was just wondering, has anyone experienced extended water retention? How long did it last? Any tips for relieving it?

Replies

• MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have experienced water retention in weight training. How often are you weight training? Are you doing it day after day? Because of water retention that happens as a normal healing process in muscles, weight train every two days and do low-intense cardio in between. Increase your water intake and try an OTC diuretic. My best friend retains like that from time to time and a water pill once a month or so usually helps her tremendously.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    YES. especially when things in my routine change (diet or exercise). For me, fluid retention can last up to 3 or 4 weeks, and then all of the sudden *WHOOSH*... and it's gone.

Then of course it usually comes back in a few weeks for one reason or other ... but such is the curse of being a woman :mad:

Keep doing what you're doing... it's a frustrating feeling, but it will pass. I think you'll be just fine!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It still could be from those things, however, have you had your thyroid checked? Swelling pretty much comes with it. Try drinking some coffee in the morning. It's a diuretic, so it may help.
  • pennstatealum2000
    pennstatealum2000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, it's good to know that I am not alone, but man is it frustrating!