Scared of the scale!

Options
How long did you guys wait before you did your first weigh-in? I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of too chicken. I'm 11 days in. I'm thinking about waiting a couple of weeks. Opinions?

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but I'm prepared to be disappointed with fluctuations and not letting them get to me. If it were me I'd weigh myself tomorrow morning after using the bathroom with minimal clothing, and remember your weight does fluctuate when starting a new food or exercise program. So if it's higher than you expected don't worry. And if it's low CONGRATULATIONS! :)
  • ahigg396
    ahigg396 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thanks, rose! i used to weigh myself every morning without fail. then came thanksgiving and christmas...after that, i was too scared to see what i weighed until june! haha
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I don't bother weighing in except maybe once a month these days - and only then to make sure I'm still trending down and don't have to recalculate my calorie allowance. When I weighed in weekly the scale was more of a PITA than I wanted it to be. If I saw a gain it frustrated me and I ate to console myself, and if I saw a loss I had a bad habit of slacking off a bit because I'd made progress. Stupid behaviors but hey, that's me. The scale works for some but it was a no-win situation for me.
  • ahigg396
    Options
    Uh-huh...I could definitely see me getting discouraged if it's not showing a loss! But it looks like your once-a-month method is working for you! Congrats! :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It's just a part of my personality, and being an engineer. It's all about numbers and I want to have as much data and knowledge as possible!

I not only have a scale, but I have a full body analyser. It measures BF%, skeletal muscle %, BMI, and my BMR. It also give me a rating on how much visceral fat is in me. I understand that it's not 100% accurate, but what's more important is that it's consistent so I can see trends.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy, but I weigh everyday. I also drink lots of water, and eat very low sodium. I don't eat processed, premade, or dine out at all. I cook from scratch at home. I don't eat complex carbs, or starchy foods. I can see a change pretty fast
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but like the first poster said, I'm prepared for the fluctuations. I don't beat myself up if my weight goes up one day when I know I have been doing well. Likewise, I don't record a weight loss unless it's been down for two or three days, same with gain. I also weigh myself a few times throughout the day, just out of curiosity. Most people wouldn't recommend it, but I know that my weight is going to be higher at the end of the day than it is at the beginning of the day. It doesn't bother me that much.
  • ahigg396
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It's just a part of my personality, and being an engineer. It's all about numbers and I want to have as much data and knowledge as possible!

Funny! My brother is also an engineer and is all about numbers, patterns, trends, etc...I joke that I'm a language teacher because we're opposites. Numbers frustrate me. :) I might wait until I'm FEELING "skinny" to weigh myself...that way I don't get disappointed.

Kidding. :) But today is not the day.
  • mandiibayybee
    Options
    I'm nervous to weigh in. I don't even own a scale at the moment, and in nervous to get on and see what it says.
  • skyeblue1313
    Options
    I am also nervous to get on the scale... It will be days maybe a week or so before I even step on it... I have always had a problem with that because if I don't see and change or it goes up then it wrecks my mood and want to even try... So I am trying to work on that one... Good Luck to those who are in the same boat I am but I always say WE CAN DO THIS...