How Does Your Spouse Support You?

Options
How does your spouse support your weight loss?

Is your spouse also trying to lose weight? If so, do you work at it together, or do you have different methods? If not, how do you plan meals together, decide what food comes into the house, and stay active together?

My husband and I took about a year to realize that I can't plan meals that he's going to be in love with AND lose weight. (He is a normal weight.) I have to plan really healthy meals that I can eat, and then add an item (like steak or extra potatoes, brown rice, whatever) that he can eat to be filled up that I'll either limit or not eat.

He also encourages me to be more active. I'm recovering from an ACL reconstruction right now, so not so much with the gym -- but he'll be back there with me when I'm better and, in the meantime, he made room in our living room (which I said he could arrange) for an exercise bike and has been helping me through my physical therapy activities.

Just curious to hear how other couples make it work. :)

Replies

• ashleyanh410
    ashleyanh410 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both use MFP! We check-in with each other at night and see whether we've logged for that day and how many calories we have left, etc. We also do all of our food-related things together (cooking, prepping, grocery shopping) and go hiking together on weekends.

By doing these things together, being healthy has become part of our relationship. It seems a lot less daunting this way and I have my best friend to put me back on track when I start to get lazy about logging my food or exercising.
  • ArmyWifePagano
    ArmyWifePagano Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My husband is in the Army Nat'l Guard, so he has to stay fit as part of their weight goal monthly. He's naturally athletic anyway, I am not, but I suppose I could be if I tried. I'm pretty much doing this weight loss journey on my own, but it's my choice. My husband tells me things like, "You're beautiful no matter what, babe.". To me, he has to say those things...he's my hubby! lol But, I'm doing this weight loss for me...I know my hubby is in my corner if I need help or guidance, though, which is a good feeling. =]
  • dedemac963
    Options
    My husband and I walk every night. He is 5'9" and I am only 5' so he challenges me by walking his normal rate and I have to work to keep up. I use Nordic Poles to help take pressure off my knees and get more of a full body workout. But the added bonus is that I walk faster with them. He doesn't need to lose weight but wants to get better toned. I need to lose weight and tone. We both need to get our cholesterol under control. So, we are working on it together. I eat better than he does because I'll eat just about any vegetable. So, I just cook lots of veggies and he eats the meat and potatoes, I eat the meat and veggies with a little bit of the carb. He also tells me that I look awesome and he loves me no matter what. But ... my dad just had heart surgery and that is my motivation. I need to be healthier!

What I haven't told him is that I think I want to start running. I don't know if I can with my knees, but I want to try. I am probably going to try to drag myself out of bed earlier to go for a run/walk in the mornings at the high school track. As crazy as it sounds, I attended a triathlon this weekend and it kind of inspired me to try it. I volunteered with registration and seeing folks in their 60's and 70's participating made me think I can do it too. But I think I may keep that part of it a surprise for the hubby.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My husband has a relatively active job and does not do any extra workouts. I do most of the cooking, and even though he is a "potato chips and beer" kind of guy, he is open to trying all my new healthy recipes and eating whatever I eat. I buy some regular snack food (chips, ice cream, etc.) for him, and we both eat super healthy dinners that I make.
  • yardhouse08
    Options
    My "Bubba" likes just about anything I make, so when I cook dinner (i.e. fish and asparagus w/salad, chicken caesar salad), I include him. I'll have him grill the chicken or the fish so he can "take pride" in knowing he helped and he'll be more eager to eat dinner instead of me just serving him. Also, he goes to the gym EVERY DAY. I told him not to accept anymore excuses from me not to go (I need back surgery but refuse to get it, and I'm constantly in pain). I just figured if I'm gonna be in pain all the time, at least I can look good! My goal is now going to the gym twice a day, 30 mins in the am before work and one hour after work. That way, I can keep my body geared into a calorie burning machine!!
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My husband has been great. He loves me regardless of my size and has always found me sexy. However, when he found out exactly how much I weighed (212), he was quite upset due to the health implications.

When I started on MFP, I told him straight out that I don't want any criticism. If he sees me eating something he deems is "fattening" he's not to mention it. He knows I have 1500 calories to eat each day which gives me room for 16 pringles at night or a frozen smoothie bar. I've lost 18 pounds in as many weeks, so I must be doing something right.

The other night I realized I had to thank him for all his support. He hasn't critized anything I've eaten and he's been very supportive on this journey. He gives me encouragement as I head out to the gym in the morning and has been praising my progress.