Replies

• holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Relate better to what, might I ask?
  • EricC7788
    EricC7788 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Crazy and irregular schedules that make eating properly very difficult.
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am CISM trained and volunteer wih the Dallas Police Department doing ride alongs and woriking with victims of violent crime. I am also a first responder in Emergency Mngt.
  • holeshottdr
    Options
    Crazy and irregular schedules that make eating properly very difficult.

10-4. That's another reason I do I.F. I can always find the time to eat at least once a day.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Shift work can make eating and exercising on a routine difficult. But I think it can work to your advantage - always changing things up.
  • dawnwarren71
    Options
    Hey! I don't think it have to be that different. You can pack your food for the "work period" in a small cooler and keep it with you. Lots of healthy stuff will fit in it. Don't let that be an excuse. You can do it! and by the way...thanks for your service!!!
  • EricC7788
    Options
    Hey! I don't think it have to be that different. You can pack your food for the "work period" in a small cooler and keep it with you. Lots of healthy stuff will fit in it. Don't let that be an excuse. You can do it! and by the way...thanks for your service!!!

Good advice....and thank you :-)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a FR...did shift work for years as an officer. I'm not in a 8-4 office job but I can still relate!
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm with you brotha! (15 years in Law Enforcement) Sent you a FR!

Here's my before & after story....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/720595-minus-89-lbs-w-pics
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Not in law enforcement but certainly wish now that I had considered it as a career when I was younger. Just wanted to give a big thanks to all of you that are out there protecting us everyday.
  • EricC7788
    Options
    Not in law enforcement but certainly wish now that I had considered it as a career when I was younger. Just wanted to give a big thanks to all of you that are out there protecting us everyday.

We thank you :drinker:
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    22 years in and when I finally started taking the weight off after my injury was the day I packed my own cooler bag. I found a really cool one that plugs into the outlet in the car so I have no excuses. I always, always keep protein shakes and bars floating around in case I get stuck somewhere and can't get at my lunch bag. I have taken the summer off pretty much from MFP. Summer is coming to a close and I am back on track.
    It is so easy to fall into the fast food, free, cheap and easy routine. I have several friends that eat at Micky D's twice a day because it is free..... Yuch!!!! The other half of that is the after shift get togethers where the beer flows freely. Now that is my biggest weakness! lol
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I too am not law enforcement but I work in a mens prison and am used to shift work or relating to my officers who do shift work. I also have a friend from HS who is a cop, and she is taking advantage of her shift work to flip her workout routine around. I admire them and you for the job you do!
  • jacksagod
    jacksagod Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i'm an emt and my other half is a volunteer firefighter. yeah hectic schedules and calls out of the blue make a "scheduled" time to eat impossible some days.
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eric you are soooo right! I'm a single mom with an energetic dog and 2 kids ages 13 and 11. I work full-time nights as a paramedic and I'm attending grad school full-time for a master's degree in emergency management. I worked a 16 the other day, had my rear end handed to me by a crazy person and went 22 hours without sleep. Only the people that work for Police/Fire/EMS completely understand! And yet, we go back for more....
  • sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Options
    I feel your pain Eric. I am a police dispatcher and some days - eating right and exercising are hard to do. No excuses, it's just the facts. Sure it happens in all fields of work......but this is the only one I know. Sent you a FR.....thanks for all you do !!:heart:
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here in dispatch as I type this. It's been one of those days where there's no time to eat anything. I do better with eating healthy when I take the time to cook food and get my lunch ready the night before.
  • EricC7788
    Options
    Dispatchers make the world go around :flowerforyou:
  • KelijonesRN
    KelijonesRN Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome and thanks for what you do! I am a critical care nurse and work nights so I can relate to what everyone has posted here! Certainly nice to hear how everyone makes it work. I am queen of healthy quick snacks. Things happen and I expect the unexpected. I'm always prepared for that 5 minute lunch break!
  • holeshottdr
    Options
    Dispatchers make the world go around :flowerforyou:

Agreed! I have depended on my dispatches for over 20 years now.