Avoiding food at work

Options
I work in at a law firm that office shares with a doctor's office. Pharmaceutical reps bring lunch in almost daily, and it's always really yummy things. I have to stand right by them to fix my own lunch in the kitchen. How in the world am I supposed to find the willpower to not eat the lunches brought in instead of what I bring from home?!

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Eyes on the prize! Remain focused on your goal. If you want, pick 1 day a week where you give in to the foods that they bring in, or plan ahead to have small portions of items they bring in and pre-log them before you eat anything to ensure that you'll still fit without your macros for the day!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I always ask myself "Do I really want to log that and let everyone see?"

Or worse, eat then look it up but try not to fall out of your chair when you see the calorie count.

Stay strong.
  • NVclark465
    NVclark465 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a similar problem. I work at a mental health agency and the office is about one minute away from a 7-11! I know what you are struggling with for sure! You know what works for me? I continually tell myself, " You don't need that french vanilla cappuchino from 7-11", "I don't need it, I don't really want it". I then pull out my own home made snacks and drink lot's of water! I would try to portion control what they bring if you truly need a taste but at the end of the day, it won't be worth it! Your lunch can be just as fullfilling, maybe look at different recepies that you can eat and make your options more desirable. Hang in there and maybe go eat your lunch in your car or something! ; 0 ) Good luck!
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I make it a game and secretly laugh at the others with no will power. muwahahahaah!!!!!! I know that makes me a jerk but it gets me through :)

I work in an office and there are two coworkers who bring in pastry's at least twice a week.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I feel ur pain - I work in a law firm with an in house chef who cooks lunch for us at least once a week and it's usually something along the lines of creamy pasta.
    Recently I've headed out of the office about 5 mins before everyone else heads to the boardroom to eat so I'm not tempted to follow the crowd, but it's definitely a matter of will power!
    Good luck and stay strong :-)
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Kendra - I also work in a lawfirm except we have companies we use to get records and use for depositions that are always sending and bringing in chocolate, muffins, donuts, etc. Just yesterday a reporting company brought a GIANT bag of peanut M&Ms. I think to myself that its nice that they bring that stuff in but OMG I dont need it! LOL I found that if I give myself a little break and have some once in a while, its okay. I am doing a great job with the rest of my eating that once in a while wont hurt. Just join in moderation. However, I refuse to eat most of the things that are brought in. Today for example, I am going to eat some of the M&Ms cause I know I will take a walk after work to burn them off. :)

Add me if you want too. We can share stories! LOL
  • LesleLu4
    LesleLu4 Posts: 14
    Options
    I work in at a law firm that office shares with a doctor's office. Pharmaceutical reps bring lunch in almost daily, and it's always really yummy things. I have to stand right by them to fix my own lunch in the kitchen. How in the world am I supposed to find the willpower to not eat the lunches brought in instead of what I bring from home?!

I work in a doctors office and we have lunch usually 3-4 times a week...and usually some kind of breakfast (doughnuts mostly).

I bring my lunch. Everyday. If I know ahead of time what they're bringing (like a specific restaurant, sometimes they'll tell us ahead of time) I will figure out what I can eat and get that and only that, but mostly I bring my lunch. Plan, plan, plan!
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I learned a very valuable lesson in an oral speech class in college that helps me to this day with just about everything I have trouble saying "no" to. I am not a huge talker by nature and to get up in front of people and talk is about the worst thing I can think of. Sooo...when it came time to raise the hand to volunteer to give the speech i MADE myself raise my hand. I did it without thinking...like a lightening bolt from nowhere...no thought...just raise the hand...get it over with. Was that really MY hand in the air? I was going to have to talk at some point anyway so why not do it first and spend the rest of the class enjoying it. Same with food.....just say "no" and walk away...don't give yourself time to ponder on how yummy it all looks and tastes. Say "no" and enjoy the rest of the day knowing that you made a decision you can be happy about.
  • keekey009
    Options
    I feel your pain...I work at a Campground store filled with chips ,candy and ice cream...as i sit here typing I'm surrounded by the things that i consumed. now i walk passed them and remember why Im trying as hard as i can to defeat the weight.
  • amtimmons23
    Options
    Make yourself think about how long it will take you to burn that "yummy food" off at the gym! I had the same problem and I just avoided the kitchen area like the plague when I knew we had a catered/vendor lunch. It's a test of will my friend but you can do it! =)
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Take a salad, fruit or veg in and 40 mins before have that and some water, you won't be making decisions hungry that way (which are never the right ones).
  • Rayzback
    Rayzback Posts: 73
    Options
    Bring a fruit basket in once in awhile.... maybe it'll catch on :}
  • Kendra0024
    Kendra0024 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome idea!! I'll just eat before lunch gets here, and stay in my office until it's put away! Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions, everyone! Now... I'm off to the kitchen to refill my water bottle... and I will NOT eat a cookie. off that stupid tray that's left from lunch.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How in the world am I supposed to find the willpower to not eat the lunches brought in instead of what I bring from home?!

You said the magic word......willpower.

It's really very simple. You have to decide whether your goals are more important than some tasty morsel. You can take the easy route, cave in and maintain the status quo or resolve to be stronger.

Are you able to walk past a pastry shop without losing it? Then you can exercise the same willpower and stay on the straight and narrow (no one ever said this is easy.....)
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    I think avoiding food at work is definitely a test of willpower! I work at a wholesale tile warehouse, and one of my co-workers works at a doughnut shop on the weekends. He has the tendency to bring in a box of dozen doughnuts to share with the office. And everytime, he has my ultimate doughnut weakness - blueberry fritters. I get so mad at him each time he brings a box in. I've caved a couple of times, not going to lie. But in the end, it truly isn't worth it! Look at it this way - each time you say no, it makes every time after that a little easier to resist temptation. Hang in there and stay strong - you CAN do this!!!! :)
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I work in a doctor's office, so I know how the drug lunches can be. I like it best when we can pick what we want to order, because I always order some sort of salad. Usually when they cater, there is some sort of salad included. Otherwise, I just try to pick out veggies and what not from whatever is being offered.
  • Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but when I am feeling tempted I ask myself which do I want more? The chocolate cake ... or a slimmer and healthier me, who can wear the clothes I like and enjoy how I look in them? It usually helps. Or if I really can't resist, I work a treat into my daily plan without going overboard, so I can still feel good about it because I am in control.