Plateau

Options
I have hit a plateau and I’m looking for common reasons this happens.

I’ve lost 10lbs very quickly but I haven’t lost anything in the past week. I am assuming I’ve have hit the ‘starvation mode’. But you know what assuming does…

I understand that if you net about 1300 calories you should be okay…I am. Also, I believe I’m doing a decent job of eating every few hours to keep the ol’ metabolism up. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

And If I have hit the ‘starvation mode’ then what is the best approach to get out?

Replies

• Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    One week isn't really what I'd call a plateau.
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    One week isn't really what I'd call a plateau.

This!

Try 6 months.. now thats a plataeu.. :embarassed:

Your body is probably just getting used to the changes, keep up your good work and it certainly helps if you eat 500 more calories every once in a while :bigsmile:
  • jen14128
    jen14128 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever dieted (seriously) was on the weight watchers program. I was ecstatic because I lost 10lbs the first week! I thought "losing weight is easy!" and then I realized that your system gets used to your new diet very quickly and that first boost does not last long. A much more healthy rate of loss would be 1-2 lbs a week, even though it is not nearly as exciting.

Don't get frustrated because the scale didn't move this week. Unfortunately, that is part of the game. Give it more time and the scale should start moving in the right direction again.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Yeah..what they said. one week isnt' a plateau. Neither is 4 weeks actually but at that point we could at least talk about what might be causing the stall.

however since you actually asked for common reasons:

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Where did you get your 1300 number?

Everyone is different, and it is based on your height, weight, age, body fat percentage, etc.

My BMR (base metabolic rate) is around 1600. You should always net above your BMR (base metabolic rate), which is what your body needs to function if you were to do nothing but lay in bed. Again, net means calories consumed minus calories expended during exercise.

If you don't know all of the details check out this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Everyone is different, and it is based on your height, weight, age, body fat percentage, etc.

My BMR (base metabolic rate) is around 1600. You should always net above your BMR (base metabolic rate), which is what your body needs to function if you were to do nothing but lay in bed. Again, net means calories consumed minus calories expended during exercise.

If you don't know all of the details check out this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What she said!! FOllow the link and read and adjust!!
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what youre doing and the weight will come off, it takes time, a lot of time. 1 week is not enough time to measure enough change in your body. Give yourself about 2 months to really see some changes and be patient, it took your body more than a week to gain the weight, give yourself more than a week to take it off :bigsmile:

I have hit a few plateaus over the course of the 8 months I have been doing this...again be patient.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options

excellent advice on that link. Im dropping weight again just by boosting my calories from 1280 to 1400-1500 + excersizing 3xs a week.
  • livingjm
    livingjm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You guys are quick to respond. Good info and thanks for the insight.