Kitchen Hints and Tips - Let's list them!

Options

Replies

• kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Have fun toasting marshmallows over a candle.
    When boiling water for tea or coffee, I pour the excessing boiling water down my sink to help keep it fresh.
    Shampoo you don't like makes a good bath and toilet cleaner
    Damp Rid, the wardrobe hanging type, is good to hang inside your car to get rid of excess humidity and smells (car windows shut)
    If I only 1/2 finish a bottle of pasta sauce I place it in the freezer so it's fresh when I get round to using it
    I ice the bottom of my cakes - a smooth flat surface, maybe I shouldn't mention that on this site :-)
    I freeze leftover cooked rice, keeping adding to the 'stash' until you have enough for a family meal, or freeze in individual serves
    I keep my onions in the fridge and chop them on top of a paper towel to save the chopping board getting 'onionified'
    I add a splash of white vinegar to curdle.the milk when baking scones (biscuits if your not Aussie). Makes for a light texture
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    P.S. Windex makes stainless steel bright and shiny
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump.....I will be back to read and offer some of mine if they aren't on here already. :happy:
  • embjojo
    embjojo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    These are great!
  • Doreen9686
    Options
    Bump for later
  • RHHMom
    RHHMom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cutting an onion releases gasses that are attracted to water; anything wet nearby will attract them instead of your eyes. Simplest solution: stick out your tongue!
  • SamEriksson
    Options
    To get rid of fruit flies pour a little bit of vinegar in a glass, fill the rest of the glass with water and top it off with a few drops of dish-washing liquid. Place the glass where the flies usually are and you should see results within a couple of days.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Want to loosen the grease under your hood range, boil a pot of one part vinegar, one part water on the stove the steam will loosen the grease and wipe clean. :smile:

Keep book marks on your favorite receipts in cook books, makes them easier to find.:noway:

Not kitchen related : When you want to find sheets and pillow cases that match wash them and fold flat, tuck sheets and pillow cases inside one of the pillow cases...easy to store and saves space in your closet: tongue: ...everything is together in one spot.

Want a quick clean up for unexpected company, grab a basket and go around the room picking up what doesn't belong, carry them to the rooms where they do belong and unload.:bigsmile:

Grab some index cards and do an inventory of your pantry and cupboards tape the card to the inside of the door and you will always know what you have...don't forget to delete items as you use them.:flowerforyou:

You should only rinse pasta for salads, if you are making a dish with sauces leave the starch on and the sauce will stick to the pasta better...a little starch won't kill you and your pasta will taste amazing. :indifferent:

There are a lot of helpful things here. Thanks :smooched:
  • Lollliiipopzzzz
    Options
    Bump!
  • wrinju
    wrinju Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brittaneybasak
    Options
    If you have the ends of the loaf of your bread left put them in the toaster and then place them in the food processor w/ any seasoning you like. Put in a bag or container and store in the fridge. Home made breadcrumbs!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    "Freeze brewed coffee in ice trays to make a frozen coffee drink without dilluting it. Also works for koolaid and fruit juice."

And punch as well.

One relative likes making pumpkin bread--she buys nuts and keeps them in the freezer.

Home remedy for a stopped-up drain: baking soda and white vinegar.; A few shakes from the box of baking soda and a few glugs of white vinegar--there will be fizzing and foaming (natural reaction), but this will subside. You might have to repeat this a few times for it to work.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options

-you can air pop popcorn kernals in the microwave by putting 2 tbsp in a brown paper bag and popping them for 3 minutes.
    [/quote

wow - never heard this one before - might have to try this! Thanks.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you love to cook with fresh ginger (I put it in almost everything) but are tired of it going bad, keep it in the freezer. Peel it when you get it, then keep it in plastic wrap and a baggie in the freezer. When you needed it, just pulled it out and slice or grate (don't thaw!) and add it right away, then put it back int he freezer. It never goes bad and it grates and slices easily!

I always freeze my ginger, but I never thought of peeling it first! That was always the hardest part - trying to peel frozen ginger. Thanks!
  • mcrower
    mcrower Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Love the air popped corn idea....didn't know that. I have an air popper, but it such a pain to get out, set up, clean, etc. I will use your tip. THANKS :-))
  • pafagel
    pafagel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Read all of the post, now if only I could remember all of them...

Got a bad stain on a piece of clothing? Cover stain in dish washing detergent and dip it into boiling water until the stain in gone. Works on anything from grease to fruit juice, once got blueberry out of a white top. (Sort of kitchen related, right?)
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    To keep from tearing up while cutting onions, wet a dish cloth and place it next to your cutting board. From what I've been told, the wet towel will soak up the "onion vapors". I'm not sure if the science is correct, but regardless, it works.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Funny when cutting onions, if you don't blink your eyes
    won't water. The more you blink, the worse it gets.