Burning 600 cal per day exercising... Not eating enough?

Options
Thu 08/30/12 11:11 AM
Hi All,
I burn 600-700 calories a day working out (using a HRM). My daily calorie goal without exercise calories is 1220 (want to lose those last few lbs). with exercise, my calories go up to 1800 approximately. I usually eat between 1250 and 1400 a day. Am I not eating enough calories because of how many calories I am burning? I am not trying to starve myself, but I am afraid to eat more!
Any advice would be great.
Thanks!
Chris

Replies

• drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The 1220 is just to stay alive and that is already calcaluted with the mind that you want to lose weight so you need to eat that no matter what. Now if you are burning all those calories and not eating them back, you are taking calories away from what you need to stay alive. Some still lose weight doing this, but IMO it's not a healthy way to lose. You are denying your body much needed nutrients and could cause your body to kick into survival mode.
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The 1220 is just to stay alive and that is already calcaluted with the mind that you want to lose weight so you need to eat that no matter what. Now if you are burning all those calories and not eating them back, you are taking calories away from what you need to stay alive. Some still lose weight doing this, but IMO it's not a healthy way to lose. You are denying your body much needed nutrients and could cause your body to kick into survival mode.

^this! Eat your exercise cals but make sure they're healthy choices
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Agree!
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options

So I will die if I eat below 1220 calories...
  • sweatness
    Options
    What type of exercises are you doing?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The burning for exercise is not really accurate. Do you feel good and strong in your workouts? How much do you still need to lose? Personally I ignore what MFP or my HRM says I burn. I am already at my goal so if I feel I need to eat a 100-200 extra calories I do (I listen to my body rather than an inaccurate electronic device or calculator). If I start gaining then I eat 100-200 less. I don't care what MFP or anything else tells me. I know my body.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    just an fyi...a HRM is just an estimate of how many calories you are burning. i have one too (polar FT7). you may not actually be burning 600-700 calories because HRM's use general formulas based on info you enter to calculate your burn. i'd say only take 75% of what your HRM actually says and use that figure.

but to answer your question, you could very well not be eating enough. i am in the exact same position as you. i've upped my calories to 1350 but i still only net about 700-900 a day. i am terrified of upping my net but seeing that i haven't lost any weight in the 4 weeks that i've been doing this, i am seriously considering it. then again, i only have 5-7lbs to lose so i imagine my weight loss journey is going to be a very slow and long process.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of debate on this topic....I know a body builder who said that eating back your exercise calories is defeating the whole purpose of weight loss. Why eat if you're not hungry? I don't eat back my exercise calories but then again, I eat enough during the day that I'm not hungry. I eat between 1200 and 1300 (although keep in mind that MFP calorie counts may or may not be 100% accurate)
  • SickSkilz
    Options
    Hi All,
    I burn 600-700 calories a day working out (using a HRM). My daily calorie goal without exercise calories is 1220 (want to lose those last few lbs). with exercise, my calories go up to 1800 approximately. I usually eat between 1250 and 1400 a day. Am I not eating enough calories because of how many calories I am burning? I am not trying to starve myself, but I am afraid to eat more!
    Thanks!
    Chris

I was doing something similar but possibly to a greater extreme. My target was 1300 and I was eating 1500 but working off near 1000. I would lose weight but then I would feel like crap after a couple days. I have increased my intake to about 2300 but i burn off 1000-1300 and thus net out 1000-1300. I feel much better doing this and am losing weight at the same rate as before

So Id recommend eating 200-300 or so more calories some time durign the day where you are nor already eating.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Make sure you've got accurate information entered into MFP about your current weight and goal weight, then:
    - enter all of your food every day
    - enter all of your exercise every day
    - try to end each day as close as you can to "0 Calories Remaining"

I think a lot of people work too hard to figure out some way to game this system, when it already works really well.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Best wishes!
  • joahna68
    Options
    You won't die if you are below your calorie count. LOL!:laugh: But you do need to have your daily calorie requirements in order for your metabolism to stay high. This way you can keep your weight off. Don't starve yourself and exercise too much because in the end when you have loss all the weight you want, you may gain it back. Always eat small portions 4 or 5 times a day (calorie requirements) and exercise at least 3 or 4 times a day (cardio, strength, etc...). If you work out too much your muscles will not have time to rebuild itself. Make sure you have rest periods (at least 2 or 3 days) from working out. Eat and exercise right...that's the key.:happy:
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Drink some low-fat chocolate milk to up your calories a bit and it'll help with recovery after a workout.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Thanks!
    Chris

I was doing something similar but possibly to a greater extreme. My target was 1300 and I was eating 1500 but working off near 1000. I would lose weight but then I would feel like crap after a couple days. I have increased my intake to about 2300 but i burn off 1000-1300 and thus net out 1000-1300. I feel much better doing this and am losing weight at the same rate as before

So Id recommend eating 200-300 or so more calories some time durign the day where you are nor already eating.

Saaaaaaaay what? What are you doing to burn 1000-1300 calories a day?!
  • christina12577
    christina12577 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I spin or run for 45-55 mins then do weight training circuit.