I need help/motivation!

Options
Hey guys..

So, I'm 44 pounds down and I'm feeling a little bummed. I'm 5'5", I was 200 pounds, size 14 pants and XL shirts. Now, here's my problem. Today I'm 156 pounds, size 32 pants, and sometimes I can squeeze into a medium shirt. I recently read that a size 32 = 13, so that means I barely lost anything around my waistline.. how is that possible? The size 14 pants I was wearing were from American Eagle and the 32's I bought today were Harlow brand (West 49, Pacsun, Boathouse) .. are the American Eagle brand jeans loose fit or have a generous waistline? Or are the Harlow jeans a small fit? Honestly this is such a dampener if I barely lost anything around my waistline. :( Any knowledge about this is welcome.

Replies

• whipa494
    whipa494 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you still have your size 14 pants that you used to wear? If so put them on and if they are way bigger then you have lost around your waist line. I'm sure after 44 pounds lost you have lost inches off your waist! Don't get disheartened about the size especially between brands! Awesome work on losing 44 pounds! :)
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Do aerobics and start a walking / running routine, and you'll start to lose that waist.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can't look at pant sizes as an indicator because they are all over the map. 44lbs is a major accomplishment! That's like a six-year-old off your body! Congratulations!
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Do you still have your size 14 pants that you used to wear? If so put them on and if they are way bigger then you have lost around your waist line. I'm sure after 44 pounds lost you have lost inches off your waist! Don't get disheartened about the size especially between brands! Awesome work on losing 44 pounds! :)

I think I threw them away so I would never have to face them again haha. I'm too scared to try them on, but I guess it's best to ease my mind. I want to be in the single digit pant sizes, and the fact that I'm almost considered a healthy weight and STILL 12/13 makes me feel really bad.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I agree. Don't get disheartened. You have to have lost inches.

But, that aside, remember that we can't select the areas where we lose the weight. And, weight off the belly (waist line) is the last to go. So, just keep your chin up. Be proud of the 44. And keep on going. You'll hit that tipping point where the inches start melting off the middle real fast once everything else is ready to give your belly a turn.

Be strong. Keep going. You can do this.
  • monstergirl14
    Options
    Do aerobics and start a walking / running routine, and you'll start to lose that waist.

I jog, I walk, and my job is very physical. I even do swimming and friggin 30DS. :(
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Oh. If you're doing all that, just keep working it. If you stay with this for a year, you'll be amazed at what you'll fit into. Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Stop going by size, a lot of brands vary. Just get the measuring tape out.

I havent lost much from my waist line either, any tips would be helpful!
  • AlanMohring
    AlanMohring Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about sizing, but MFP allows you to track your measurements which might be a more accurate measure of the progress you are making. With all of the weight you've lost it's likely just the difference in sizing between the brands of pants.
  • monstergirl14
    Options
    I've been meaning to buy a tape measure. I really wish I had one since the beginning so I could accurately measure my progress, scale aside.
  • Jargarita
    Jargarita Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Size really varies between designers but this is a link to the AE international sizing chart
    http://www.ae.com/web/modals/sizeChart.jsp?name=internationalSizeChart

Edit: woops that link doesn't work!
    http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat90120&productId=0431_7755_001
    Go here and click on the Size + Fit tab and there is a link "International Size chart" you can click and see it
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You can't look at pant sizes as an indicator because they are all over the map. 44lbs is a major accomplishment! That's like a six-year-old off your body! Congratulations!

agree
  • monstergirl14
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I won't be giving up, I will never go back to where I was ever again. :) I just don't know why I'm not seeing much changes in terms of waist. lol
  • dsco86
    dsco86 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have lost 41 pounds now and I don't see much of a change in my waist either. The majority of my inches lost have been in my arms, legs, and chest area, I think my waist is finally catching up. My waist first measured at 48, but I finally checked it again 2 months later, and now it is down to 44 inches. I've got an apple shaped body, so I guess its going to take longer losing inches from my waist area.

Anyway, don't give up :D
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    monstergirl14, I think you may be under a size 12. I'm 159 and at about 161 I was able to switch from my size 14 pants to my old size 12s (I was SO happy!). I'm not sure what 32 equates to, whether it's your hips or your waist. If it helps you, I track my measurements and my waist is currently 38 inches, hips are 42.5, so a 32, whichever that's measuring, sounds much slimmer to me.
  • monstergirl14
    Options
    monstergirl14, I think you may be under a size 12. I'm 159 and at about 161 I was able to switch from my size 14 pants to my old size 12s (I was SO happy!). I'm not sure what 32 equates to, whether it's your hips or your waist. If it helps you, I track my measurements and my waist is currently 38 inches, hips are 42.5, so a 32, whichever that's measuring, sounds much slimmer to me.

Well from what I read online, a 32 equates to approximately 13.. so, with that in mind, apparently after 43 pounds I went from a size 14 to a whopping size 13! Haha.. it's awful. I didn't really think about the type of jeans I bought; but I don't think they're low rise, causing them to be bigger. I think they're about the same rise as my 14's. No idea. I tried on my 14's yesterday and i can fit two fists in them, which someone said at that point, it's about time to get smaller jeans. Haha.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'd say the easiest way to find out for sure is to go into a store that sells pants by size and not measurements and try a few pairs on.
  • jagger27
    jagger27 Posts: 79
    Options
    Yes, get a measuring tape girl...that has been my saving grace. 44 lbs is amazing...you should be very proud of yourself!!! My waist is by far my trouble area, always has been...and having 3 kids in under 4 years didn't help my matters :) I'm finally starting to see some changes, but it's a slow progression. I'm just trying to stick with it and be patient :) It will start happening for the both of us :) Hang in there girl!!!
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Don't freak out too much. I just bought new jeans because the ones I had before I lost all the weight were literally falling off me. When I went to the store I told the clerk I wasn't sure what size I was. She said right away IT WILL DEPEND ON THE CUT AND THE BRAND BECAUSE THAT COULD MAKE YOU CHANGE BY AS MUCH AS 2 SIZES. So don't worry so much about the pants. You went down shirt sizes and it's about how you feel. Best of luck & keep your head up!!
  • jagger27
    jagger27 Posts: 79
    Options
    Also, wanted to say...every season jeans fit differently from AE...that is my experience at least...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!