Insulin Resistance & Metformin

Options
I was diagnosed with insulin resistance yesterday. (I had blood work done to confirm it.) My doctor prescribed 500mg of slow-release Metformin and told me to take half in the morning and half at night to reduce the chance of an upset stomach.

I've done a lot of research on IR and Metformin, but I'm hoping to hear about others' experience with this. I realize Metformin isn't going to help me lose weight (other than ensuring the glucose is turned into energy instead of fat), but I'm confident that with the medication helping my insulin do what it needs to do, my weight loss will progress since my body will be finally be doing what it's supposed to.

FWIW, I am not "pre-diabetic". My A1C was 5.1, and my post-meal blood sugar was 90. I am, however, going to eat like a diabetic because I feel that will help the medicine do its job. I have reduced my carbs to <90 per day, and I am eating lots of lean meat, dairy, veggies, fiber, whole grains, and fruit. I have lost an average of 2.4 pounds per week so far.

I'm so glad I finally have this figured out. For years, I couldn't figure out how I could gain 40 pounds in two months while eating 2000 calories per day, or why I was tired all the time, or why I'd be SO HUNGRY only an hour after a filling, nutritious meal. I really hope this medicine works for me. I want my life back. I spent 16 years wondering what was wrong, and doctors would just tell me to "eat better". This is the first time a doctor LISTENED to me and ordered blood work. I cried in his office yesterday because I wish the other doctors would have realized what was going on instead of labeling me as just another fat person. I could have avoided so many years of obesity and depression. :(

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazingly well! I was recently diagnosed Type 2 and on metformin and insulin!

I know that feeling of being lost in the medical world! But you've got it now! Hang in there hun!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you finally found a Dr. that listened to you. rather than just seeing the weight and telling you to excersice and eat better. Way to go for sticking it out and finding someone to listen.
  • 3swimgirlmom
    3swimgirlmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter was also just told she is insulin resistance, and just started metformin yesterday 500mg ER ( extended release) after her endocrinologist appointment. We go back in 3 months and will be rechecking lab values etc.

As a nurse I am a little concerned that your doctor wants you to "cut in half " your sustained released metformin, usually it is highly suggested not to crush or cut in half sustained released pills, since you may not be actually getting half the dose. You could be getting, 60/40, 80/20, etc.

Did your pharmacy say anything about it? I just wanted to ask, wishing you the best in your treatment.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have been on metformin since 2004. I have Insulin resistance as well as PCOS so I take 2 1,000mg tablets a day :( It never kept my weight down. It just makes it HARDER to lose weight.
  • ellyinflight
    Options
    I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS three years ago and put on Metformin (at various doses throughout the years). It did wonders for me! On Metformin and a lower GI diet I lost 20kg, 45lbs, and it never came back. The weightloss was extremely easy, easier than it had ever been in my whole life. Loads of other problems started clearing up too, like my lethargy and mood swings.

One bad thing was that it changed my sense of taste quite dramatically. All of a sudden some of my favourite healthy foods became nauseating! After two years or so it returned to normal *shrugs*. Small price to pay!
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I'm so glad you finally got a good doctor who would listen to you. Here's to a fresh start and feeling better!!

I also have insulin resistance, but I'm not on medication. Trying to manage it with diet and exercise. I'll be getting another blood test done to see if I've made progress since dropping weight.
  • EnchantedEvening
    Options
    As a nurse I am a little concerned that your doctor wants you to "cut in half " your sustained released metformin, usually it is highly suggested not to crush or cut in half sustained released pills, since you may not be actually getting half the dose. You could be getting, 60/40, 80/20, etc.
    I wrote that incorrectly. I brought up the idea since I was worried about side effects, and he said the pill isn't scored since it isn't meant to be cut in half. He said I could try that if I really wanted to since I was being a chicken about it, but he really thought I'd be okay with the whole 500 taken after dinner. So it was my idea, not his, but he didn't tell me NOT to do it.

I took half on Friday night and then started taking the full 500 on Saturday once I realized my stomach wasn't going to explode. :) I'd also read, on other forums, that it's a bad idea to cut the XR pills for the reasons you mentioned. I've been taking the full 500 every day and haven't had any side effects. I get a TINY bit queasy for the first hour after I take it, but it's not uncomfortable or anything. I've found it goes away if I drink a couple glasses of water.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do you have PCOS as well?

And what's a typical food day like for you with <90g carbs? I'm trying to cut down, but it's a slow process.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well. I can speak of the same experience. In 2002 or so...I didn't have TOM for nearly 7 mos. This never happened to me...and I went to my regular PCP at the time....He said I had PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which basically has to do with weight issues and other things like insulin resistance which too had suffered from. I was always told that I wasn't diabetic, but if I hadn't started to lose weight, medication, exercise then I would have diabetes too.

I was put on Metformin (the same as you...500 in morning and 500 at night). I did take it for a long time. Kind of irritated tummy for a while, but nothing bad.

It helped with my craving a bit, but not a big thing for helping lose weight...if that makes sense.

I found Met to be a life saver for me when I got pregnant with both my kids especially since I suffered three m/c before them.

Today, I don't really take the medication anymore...I probably should until I get to goal weight. I think my PCP said it is supposed to help a little and if I got the weight down to normal BMI I could stop it if I didn't have issues with the weight gain anymore.

I hope this helps.

Michelle
  • EnchantedEvening
    Options
    Do you have PCOS as well?

And what's a typical food day like for you with <90g carbs? I'm trying to cut down, but it's a slow process.
    Yes, I do. My testosterone isn't too high, so I don't get hairy or anything, but my progesterone is SUPER low. It's even lower than the low end for a guy. My doctor said we'd take a look at fixing that once I get used to the metformin and my body has a chance to hit an even keel. He doesn't want to hit me with metformin and another medication at the same time because it would be hard to figure out which one is causing which side effects. I have an appointment in three weeks to weigh in again and discuss how I'm doing.

We are not having children, so we're just going to treat the main issues. I have no plans to take Clomid.

I realize metformin isn't a weight loss drug, but I am hoping that it will make weight loss easier, in that my glucose will finally start converting to energy instead of fat. I figure that by taking metformin, I will lose weight like any other "normal" person who reduces their calories and exercises. I just want a fighting chance, know what I mean? :)

I've been keeping my carbs closer to 100 than 90, actually. If I go over a little bit, it isn't a huge deal. It's a learning process. A typical day is:

Breakfast: omelet with cheese and ham or lean ground beef crumbles

Mid-morning snack: string cheese and/or fruit

Lunch: Sandwich (turkey or tuna) made with whole-grain bread with a side of raw veggies, but I usually have leftovers from dinner

Afternoon snack: almonds, celery with peanut butter, or apples with peanut butter (PB has sugar, so I buy the natural stuff or make my own from roasted almonds in the food processor)

Dinner: Usually some low-carb recipe from Pinterest. My favorite dinner is roasted chicken breasts (diced), brown rice, and tons of mixed veggies all mixed together. It's soooo good reheated.

Late-night snack: this is rare, since I don't get hungry at night. Sometimes I have a small glass of milk before bed.

We buy whole-grain everything, including pasta, and I try to limit my starches. I LOVE potatoes, so I still have mashed potatoes once in a while. I try to eat stuff without the bread (removing hamburger buns, for example). I avoid the bread basket at restaurants. I still allow myself treats, though, because it's OKAY to go over sometimes. Once the metformin starts converting glucose to energy, I can start experimenting with how many carbs I can eat and still lose weight. I don't want to go back to stuffing myself with starches and carbs, but it would be nice if I could raise it to 30% instead of 20%. I really like mac and cheese. ;)

I may be doing it wrong, so advice is appreciated if anyone sees an issue with my typical day. I ordered some books off Amazon to help me with meal planning and figuring out which foods are best and how to balance them throughout the day. I have a friend who had a lot of success with South Beach and is using it to maintain her current weight, so I might hit her up for some ideas too.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The absolute best thing that I've been able to do is to exercise! It has been the single most valuable component of my entire process. Even if it starts with a short, slow walk. Exercise EVERY DAY! It does more to improve my insulin resistance than anything else I've done.
  • LupaNera
    LupaNera Posts: 170
    Options
    Am am also on Metformin for Insulin Resistance (from little over 2 week I am at my full dose which is 2X500 lunch and dinner). I don't have PCOS.
    It took me something like 3 weeks to build up to the recommended dose and I had to cut the pills in 4 to start. I added 1/4 every 4 days more or less and didn't have any major problems with it.

Even if I am pretty active and eating well I could lose any weight or anyway I was loosing it only with 2 hours gym (high impact) a day. And this is not sustainable. Then on june I did a complete chackup at a center for nutrition related diseases. Did me something like 4 pages of blood work and fortunately everything was in the limits but not my glicemic curve.
  • leelee10321
    Options
    I am on Metformin for PCOS. Don't take it on an empty stomach! I have very little side effects when I take it with a meal. I didn't notice a big weight loss after taking it. It seemed to stabilize my weight. I noticed I gained less, or slower may be the best word for it.
  • starrrjo
    starrrjo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have recently started taking Metformin and the side effects are horrid so far.
    I have lost appetite for almost all meats. The thought of having them makes me feel sick. I tried to have spag Bol with meatballs last night (my ultimate fave food) and I had to sit across the room while everyone else ate it and I had a small bowl of the pasta and sauce.
    I am having to force myself to eat at times which in a way is good since I can monitor how I eat better but I dont want that to become the norm.

I have been advised to take 500mg with every meal. So that is 3 tabs a day. My friend who was on metformin however was told to take 2 with every meal...:S

It is still early days so I dont know how it is going to effect my weight loss but I have heared great things so my hopes are high. x
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump 4 later
  • EnchantedEvening
    Options
    Over two weeks in, and still no side effects. Even the drowsiness has gone away. Sometimes I forget to take it right after dinner and take it at bedtime instead, but it's still fine. Either the extended-release is truly as magical as people say it is or I have an iron stomach. :)
  • starrrjo
    starrrjo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Has it shown any difference to your weight loss? xx
  • bethacarter
    bethacarter Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was diagnosed with insulin resistance about 2 months ago. I took the 500 mg Metformin for a month, then they changed me to 1000 mg. I haven't seen any weight loss. I do Zumba 2-3 times a week, and try to walk a little on the other days. I have kept my calories (for the most part) under 1200, and have lowered my carbs and sugar intake, and upped my protein. I don't know what else to do. I don't like the idea of taking medication if it's not helping the problem. At this point, I don't know if I need a higher dose or if I just want to quit taking it.