Can you save calories

Options
Hi All

I'm new here and trying hard. Have had a look through posts but can't find the answer to what I'm looking for and wondered if some-one could help.

Can you save calories? for instance I'm on 1200 per day, if one day I have 100 left, can they be added to the next day? So instead of 1200 it would be 1300?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Lisa

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    yup. I even create a little category on my daily food log called "Rollover" so if I have a fatty day (weekends) I can record it on another day and not end up in the red anywhere. I believe the term is "cycling calories"? The important thing is to never go below 1200, even if you reeeeally want that cheeseburger the next day. Welcome to MFP, and I hope that helps!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    it's probably not the best idea and will probably mess up your progress... you don't want to starve yourself one day so that you can binge the next, if u are under ur calories for the day that is okay, but i would start fresh the next day, not try to make it up. if you want more calories in a day, exercise more
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yep. I do it all the time.
  • rudy7020
    rudy7020 Posts: 62
    Options
    I bank calories for special occassions. If I want to go out to eat, have a drink, etc. I learned to do this at Weight Watchers, it works great.
  • bigwagon52
    Options
    i try to think of it as counting calories for the week. If you can stay at your goal for the week you will be ok. I have been doing this for over 45 days and lost 20 lbs. Trust me i went over a few of those days. But make sure you dont go to low ond day and pig out the next. If you need any othe advice add me and i will be glad to help. Also soehlerking's answer is spot on. Dont go below your bmr..
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    yes, there is nothing wrong with doing that. i actually think of my calories over the entire week instead of day by day. that way if i go out and have a big meal with friends, i can balance in out the next day by eating lighter. your metabolism is always working, it's not on such a strict 24 clock like wfp leads you to believe.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    When you're only eating 1200 calories a day, I wouldn't advise it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do this and if you are accurately measuring/tracking it will work just fine.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I do it all the time and it works for me. I bank for going out to eat and if I have a day that is over I make up for it being a little under the next few days. Go by the week not the day. My goal is to hit my weekly totals.
  • ericalyn73
    Options
    how did you create the rollover category? love it! to me, it's essential to have these extras on weekends, special occasions, etc. and still be successfull.
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I occasionally do it. As long as its within the week (yes learn't off WW too) :smooched:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    YES, I dont do this often but if i have a special occassion or barbeque i for sure eat lighter for a few days before so i can have 100-300 cals extra. If you have a cal defeciet for the week of 3500 cals you will lose 1lb......
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I do this on exercise days then eat them on days I can't when I'm more hungry. It's a great way to be able to afford a meal out here and there.
  • jamala19
    jamala19 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I can view weekly calories on my phone, but only see the bar graph on the website. Is there any way on the website to see how many weekly calories in a numeric form? (so I can determine my overall deficit).

I am also interested in how you created a rollover credit...
  • lisamugan
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your responses, feeling very positive.
  • justajiffy
    Options
    Hi

I like to check the weekly average graph which is on my MFP android mobile app, it shows, while you progres through the week, how you are doing as an average overall for that week. Really handy for weeks like this one when I have been out for a birthday meal. - sadly I can't seem to find it on the website though.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yes, and if you save up enough of them, you can redeem for a big stuffed animal or a portable radio at the redemption counter.

(Eh, you should probably listen to the other responses and not mine. Welcome to MFP. :smile: )