Protein Intake...HELP!!!

Options
Hey guys, i have such a hard time eating more protein then i do fat and carbs... i was wondering if someone can help me determine what protein foods i can eat?

I know that there are protein in eggs and meats.. but that's as much of a list i have when it comes to protein.
My goal is to lose 15 pounds and i just need help with the types of food i consume.. i'm constantly going over. =(

** FORGOT TO MENTION... I'M LACTOSE INTOLERANT =(

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    East/convenient answer is to supplement your day with protein powder. I recommend Optimum Nutrition's natural line.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    *looks around for binary_jester*

nuts, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, nut butters, fish, meat, cheese, some legumes, quinoa, etc...

you don't need to supplement unless you're trying to cut

AND, don't worry if your protein numbers are "in the red" as MFP sets its protein goals very low

AGREE^^^. I also do whey protein shakes
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just started putting vanilla whey protein in my morning coffee with milk. Not an entire scoop, but adds a few grams
  • jedijurist
    Options
    ProteinToGo.com - about 125 all natural calories for 28g of protein. Great afternoon snack. Also, the Premier Protein shakes (vanilla or chocolate) from Costco are a convenient way to get some good protein - 30g to 160 calories. Both are very low carb.
  • marybell82
    marybell82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    *looks around for binary_jester*

nuts, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, nut butters, fish, meat, cheese, some legumes, quinoa, etc...

you don't need to supplement unless you're trying to cut

AND, don't worry if your protein numbers are "in the red" as MFP sets its protein goals very low

THANK YOU!!! totally forgot about a few of those!! i will try to include a few more of those to my daily intake. =)
  • marybell82
    Options
    I just started putting vanilla whey protein in my morning coffee with milk. Not an entire scoop, but adds a few grams

I bought the biggest loser protein shake stuff and my bf told me that if i drink that stuff that i would get bigger... is that true??
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Some lactose intolerant people will be sensitive to some whey protein :(

I like textured vegetable protein/edamame, beans, meat (specifically boneless skinless chicken breast (I get it canned and whole), tuna, lean ground beef, ground turkey, turkey bacon), and egg whites.

Here are some low lactose protein powders http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/lactose.htm which do really help getting in a lot of protein. I think I'm lactose intolerant, but I'm not cutting out protein powder quite yet!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

I bought the biggest loser protein shake stuff and my bf told me that if i drink that stuff that i would get bigger... is that true??

No. Just like eating boneless skinless chicken breast (a bodybuilding staple) won't make you bigger. Whenever people say something about health and fitness, see if it passes the common sense test: If it were as easy as consuming protein powder, wouldn't all those scrawny guys easily be able to add muscle? Building muscle is hard. Building muscle in a calorie deficit is damn near impossible (when new, you might be able to add a couple pounds of muscle, but that's really not much, so don't be afraid)
  • HemsireJosie
    HemsireJosie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are great! For example instead of having 2 whole eggs for breakfast, etc you could have 1 whole egg with 3 egg whites, since 1 whole egg is around 80kcals and 6g protein and an egg white contains approx 16kcals and 4g of protein this swap would save you around 30kcals whilst adding an extra 6g of protein. Another way in which I've added protein into my diet is I usually replace regular brown bread for a bread that contains soy and linseed (the brand is called burgen). This bread contains about 20kcals more per slice but also 3g extra protein so I feel it's worth it. Also you could try eating more fish, white fish is very low in fat but really high in protein, I get Youngs frozen fish fillets (or own brand haddock/cod/pollock fillets from morrisons or sainsburys) and most days I'll take them straight from the freezer and cook them in the microwave (no oil or any other 'extras') and they only take a few minutes before their done and they are really tasty with a salad (again no oil, just lemon juice and seasoning) or even boiled veggies and a homemade Greek yoghurt sauce (which contains more protein then mayo, etc). Youngs fish fillets are 94kcals each and contain 23g of protein - I usually have 2 at a time cos their small (although surprisingly filling).

I also like tuna so instead of half a can, I usually have a full can (water packed) which is so filling that I usually only require a 1/2 serving of carbs or if I do have full serving I typically snack less later on in the day.

Like others have said Protein Powder is also convenient source but if you prefer to eat your kcals rather than drink them (which I do! :D) then a tip I came across on bodybuiding.com was having protein cakes for dessert. If you go to their website and search for Jamie Eason she has loads of recipe suggestions and they are so tasty. I had to alter the recipe for her protein brownies ever so slightly cos I live in England and we have different brands of powder available but the recipe still produces cakes that are just over 100kcals per portion with 8g of protein.
  • HemsireJosie
    HemsireJosie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

No. Just like eating boneless skinless chicken breast (a bodybuilding staple) won't make you bigger. Whenever people say something about health and fitness, see if it passes the common sense test: If it were as easy as consuming protein powder, wouldn't all those scrawny guys easily be able to add muscle? Building muscle is hard. Building muscle in a calorie deficit is damn near impossible (when new, you might be able to add a couple pounds of muscle, but that's really not much, so don't be afraid)
    [/quote]

^ so true! I've used protein powder for years as has my brother and even along with heavy lifting neither of us have had to worry about bulking up too much and neither of us has exceeded a bmi of 21 whilst using it. My muscle gains have been considerably less than his which is normal since us women have less testosterone, which is required to bulk up and also since I eat less the him although even eating much more then me his muscle growth has required hard work despite the use of protein supplements.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    East/convenient answer is to supplement your day with protein powder. I recommend Optimum Nutrition's natural line.

This, plus, does whey protein have lactose in it? If so, what about egg protein powder? I don't drink cow's milk at all - I mix my protein powder with almond milk, rice milk, or coconut milk.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options

LOL!!! Wow...............do you think it would be a marketed product/on The Biggest Loser if it made people bigger?

Try soy products like milks, yogurts, etc., tofu, beans/hummus, Boca burgers (120 cals/15g of protein!), flax seeds, hemp seeds, wheatgerm, grains, almonds and other nuts, whole wheat/high protein pita breads, etc.
  • slenderme2012
    slenderme2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thats a really good idea. I use cream and sugar in my coffee. Does the vanilla whey give it a sweet taste? I could start doing that instead of the cream and sugar and it would be better for me, but I like my coffee sweet.
  • Tainers
    Tainers Posts: 21
    Options
    One thing I use to up my protein that most people forget about is shrimp...i get costco large cooked with tail on....dethaw them mix them with a little mayo and sirachi hot sauce....30 shrimp is only 288 calories but 47 grams protein...no carbs i think or maybe just one and 1 sugar!!! Eat that alone, on a salad, or with a side of fresh grilled veggies!!! Or heat them up with olive oil, garlic, cilantro, lemon juice and red pepper (this is good over hot boiled kelp noodles, which have 6 calories and no carbs or sugar!!!) :)
  • marybell82
    Options
    One thing I use to up my protein that most people forget about is shrimp...i get costco large cooked with tail on....dethaw them mix them with a little mayo and sirachi hot sauce....30 shrimp is only 288 calories but 47 grams protein...no carbs i think or maybe just one and 1 sugar!!! Eat that alone, on a salad, or with a side of fresh grilled veggies!!! Or heat them up with olive oil, garlic, cilantro, lemon juice and red pepper (this is good over hot boiled kelp noodles, which have 6 calories and no carbs or sugar!!!) :)

^^^^^^ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! mmmm thank you!! i loove me some shrimp. thanks for your input. =)
  • marybell82
    Options

LOL!!! Wow...............do you think it would be a marketed product/on The Biggest Loser if it made people bigger?

Try soy products like milks, yogurts, etc., tofu, beans/hummus, Boca burgers (120 cals/15g of protein!), flax seeds, hemp seeds, wheatgerm, grains, almonds and other nuts, whole wheat/high protein pita breads, etc.

^^^So many options. i totally appreciate, all the info! =)
    When i bought the protein powder, i thought the same thing, weight loss.. but then i heard differ and i stopped taking it. lol.. will try to add it back in now that i know otherwise. haha
  • marybell82
    Options
    Egg whites are great! For example instead of having 2 whole eggs for breakfast, etc you could have 1 whole egg with 3 egg whites, since 1 whole egg is around 80kcals and 6g protein and an egg white contains approx 16kcals and 4g of protein this swap would save you around 30kcals whilst adding an extra 6g of protein. Another way in which I've added protein into my diet is I usually replace regular brown bread for a bread that contains soy and linseed (the brand is called burgen). This bread contains about 20kcals more per slice but also 3g extra protein so I feel it's worth it. Also you could try eating more fish, white fish is very low in fat but really high in protein, I get Youngs frozen fish fillets (or own brand haddock/cod/pollock fillets from morrisons or sainsburys) and most days I'll take them straight from the freezer and cook them in the microwave (no oil or any other 'extras') and they only take a few minutes before their done and they are really tasty with a salad (again no oil, just lemon juice and seasoning) or even boiled veggies and a homemade Greek yoghurt sauce (which contains more protein then mayo, etc). Youngs fish fillets are 94kcals each and contain 23g of protein - I usually have 2 at a time cos their small (although surprisingly filling).

I also like tuna so instead of half a can, I usually have a full can (water packed) which is so filling that I usually only require a 1/2 serving of carbs or if I do have full serving I typically snack less later on in the day.

Like others have said Protein Powder is also convenient source but if you prefer to eat your kcals rather than drink them (which I do! :D) then a tip I came across on bodybuiding.com was having protein cakes for dessert. If you go to their website and search for Jamie Eason she has loads of recipe suggestions and they are so tasty. I had to alter the recipe for her protein brownies ever so slightly cos I live in England and we have different brands of powder available but the recipe still produces cakes that are just over 100kcals per portion with 8g of protein.

WOW thank you soo much! great info.. i do eat egg whites in the morning with spinach. Will try to write all these down and add them all to my diet.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I doubled my meat portions. It's helped a lot ;)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options