Lunch Ideas Needed!!!

Options
I am sooooooo boring when it comes to packing my lunch for work. My lunch always ends up being a peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread, carrots, and some sort of fruit and I'm getting so tired of that.

I need suggestions for a quick and easy lunch... nothing that I have to take all this time to prepare or buy all these new ingredients for.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Blanche76
    Blanche76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What about smartones or lean cuisines? I'll bring those or make a turkey sandwich with the thin bagels which is only 110 calories & add mustard since that has no calories. Then have a salad with it, or tuna... Do you like soup? Some have really low cals and easy enough to bring for lunch. Hopefully that gives you some ideas.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/2 TBSP butter
    1 small onion
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 cup cooked white rice
    1tbsp soy sauce.

Fry up the butter, onion, and garlic, and then add the white rice and soy sauce.

Then scramble an egg in the microwave and throw it in with the rice. It's YUMMY, you have carbs and complete protein, and it's only like 235 cal so you have room for something else too. :)
  • EmilyJaneRigali
    Options
    What about smartones or lean cuisines? I'll bring those or make a turkey sandwich with the thin bagels which is only 110 calories & add mustard since that has no calories. Then have a salad with it, or tuna... Do you like soup? Some have really low cals and easy enough to bring for lunch. Hopefully that gives you some ideas.

smartones and lean cuisines are too expensive for my college kid budget. haha. i wish i could have those... although they are very high in sodium. i did tuna for a while but i'm soooo sick of it by now that it grosses me out. i could do soup... i just wanna make sure i don't go crazy with sodium cus they tend to be high. a lot of people don't watch sodium, but if you have too much of it, you get really bloated and also it causes other problems. thanks for the ideas! i'm gonna look into that stuff.
  • EmilyJaneRigali
    Options
    1/2 TBSP butter
    1 small onion
    1 clove garlic
    1tbsp soy sauce.

Fry up the butter, onion, and garlic, and then add the white rice and soy sauce.

Then scramble an egg in the microwave and throw it in with the rice. It's YUMMY, you have carbs and complete protein, and it's only like 235 cal so you have room for something else too. :)

that would work... i'd probably replace the white rice with brown though. and i also do low sodium soy sauce... have you ever seen the amount of sodium in 1 tablespoon?! it's CRAZY!!!!! i think i might do that though... maybe for tomorrow :)
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like to make veggie or turkey wraps on whole wheat tortillas. Also, salads with some baked or grilled chicken. In the winter, I make a pot of turkey chili, soup or risotto and bring those for lunch. Hummus and pita chips or veggies. And I add Greek yogurt and fruit almost daily.

I do have to chop veggies, but I do it on Sunday nights and store them in containers for the week. Chili and soup...same thing. It does take time and preparation to eat healthy on the go. But you don't have to kill yourself everyday to do it.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/2 TBSP butter
    1 small onion
    1 clove garlic
    1tbsp soy sauce.

that would work... i'd probably replace the white rice with brown though. and i also do low sodium soy sauce... have you ever seen the amount of sodium in 1 tablespoon?! it's CRAZY!!!!! i think i might do that though... maybe for tomorrow :)

*grin* Yeah, I know there's a lot of sodium, but...isn't that what gives it the taste? Is low sodium as good? By all means though, tweak it to suit your needs! Brown rice is a good idea...I'll try that next time. (Just happened to have white rice on hand today. :D)
  • tremperm
    Options
    I would make a big salad and a yogurt. If you do a leancusine make sure you drink alot of water as they arent really that fufilling. i recommend the butternut squash one
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    A greek salad with quinoa mixed in. Or a can of tuna with mustard and pepper, and some fresh veggies?
  • doriyoung
    doriyoung Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like to make veggie or turkey wraps on whole wheat tortillas. Also, salads with some baked or grilled chicken. In the winter, I make a pot of turkey chili, soup or risotto and bring those for lunch. Hummus and pita chips or veggies. And I add Greek yogurt and fruit almost daily.

I do have to chop veggies, but I do it on Sunday nights and store them in containers for the week. Chili and soup...same thing. It does take time and preparation to eat healthy on the go. But you don't have to kill yourself everyday to do it.

These are fantastic suggestions. Preparing ahead of times lets you be both creative and speedy.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    do you cook at night, maybe take leftovers?
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    Salad
    Wraps
    Fruit
    Cheese/Crackers
    Bagel with Light Cream Cheese
    Sandwiches
    Whole Wheat Pasta in a Marinara Sauce with a little Parmesan cheese

Or you can just mix things like rice, veggies and spices etc. up and make a big stir fry with maybe chicken or something that way it will last for a few days at least if not the week.
  • dmeyrich89
    Options
    I cook chicken breasts on Sundays then make things for lunch out of them. Examples: sandwiches, salads, wraps, or even just eat the chicken with some veggies. I am on a college budget to so I totally understand what you are talking about!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

These are fantastic suggestions. Preparing ahead of times lets you be both creative and speedy.

I chop up veggies for the week too. I switch it up a bit but I like just having a large salad with a can of tuna or tuna and beans on top.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    1.5 Cups Brown Rice
    2/3 Cups Frozen Peas
    1/2 a can Chicken (3.5 ounces)
    Salt and Pepper to Taste

Depending on Brands it will run you about 350-400 Calories. And it's VERY filling.

Do a quick search for lunch ideas in the forums and you'll see that there are TONS of options (this has gotten asked 3 days in a row).
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know what your standard food stock looks like to know what constitutes "all kinds of new stuff to buy" but I saw this quick low-calorie lunch list on another post and have tried several recipes and found them yummily delicious :o). Can't hurt to take a look and see if anything fits into your standard supplies:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/658405-35-quick-low-calorie-lunches
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna, you can mix a 2.6 oz pouch of chunk light tuna with salsa and eat it with a few crackers or spread it on a whole wheat bread with romaine lettuce for a sandwich. Pair it with some fruit, veggies, and a bottle of water. The tuna mixture is pretty tasty and depending on how much salsa you use, it's about 100 calories.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Basically I start with some Mixed Greens and built from there.
    Do a protein like chicken, turkey or tuna, whatever I have.
    Then I like to pick a theme. Like Greek, Mexican, etc.
    Sundays, I usually prepare all my lunches for the week so I don't have to think in the morning

Like today was:
    mixed salad greens, grilled chicken, black bean and corn salsa, spicy tortilla strips, tomatoes and black olive
    tiny bit of ranch dressing

Last week I was on a Greek fix:
    mixed salad greens, tuna and feta, black olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, big crusty croutons
    tiny bit of oil and a ton of red wine vinegar (TicTac after this one.)

Also measure your croutons and dressings, what I THINK is a serving is usually like 4x that amount.
    Hope this helps. :)
  • GijitsMom
    Options
    I sometimes take hummus to dip my veggies in. Even if I'm not a fan of it plain, there are many different flavors that I love.

I also have a new favorite from Trader Joe's that is easy to make an tastes great. Although it calls for many of the Trader Joe's brand ingredients, you can use any other brand you like.

3 cups TJ's Tri Color Quinoa, cooked
    1 can TJ's Organic Black Beans, drained and rinsed
    1 cup TJ's Mango Chunks, defrosted and cut into bite size pieces
    1 TJ's Red Bell Pepper, chopped
    2 TJ's Green Onions, sliced
    1/4 cup TJ's Fresh Cilantro, chopped
    1/4 cup TJ's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Juice of 1 TJ's Lime & 1/2 teaspoon of zest
    TJ's Salt and TJ's Pepper, to taste

In a large bowl, combine quinoa, black beans, mango, bell pepper, green onions and cilantro. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk olive oil, lime zest and lime juice. Drizzle over quinoa salad and toss to distribute evenly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill and serve.

Serves: 4 - 6
    Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

smartones and lean cuisines are too expensive for my college kid budget. haha. i wish i could have those... although they are very high in sodium....

*REALLY* high in sodium.

Last night I chopped up a bunch of vegetables and tossed them all together. In the bottom of a mason jar (saw this trick on Pinterest) I put two tbsp of a homemade vinaigrette then 1/2 C of the chopped veggies. On top of that 2 ounces diced roast chicken breast and finally 1 cup of chopped lettuce. DON't MIX it all together. Leave it layered. Then I tucked a folded flour tortilla on top. At work I just had to nuke the tortilla for a few seconds, toss the salad and wrap it up the tortilla.

Chopped Salad with chicken wrap! Takes prep at night but it's quick and easy at work! I have PLENTY for another 4 or 5 days at home. You could buy the mason jars and pack them up all up 3 or 4 days in advance.

I liked baked sweet potatoes with cottage cheese on them. Cook the potato the night before and pack it with the cottage cheese. Then when it reheats the cheese gets a bit melty and yummy.

Any kind of homemade soup or chili would travel well.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big pot of soup and put it in canning jars and throw them in the freezer. Then in the morning I can pull one out and it thaws by lunch. Microwave. Shazam. Lunch.