Shakeology - making it work

Options
I didn't want to post on the Shakeology boards, as I understand people get harrassed by "coaches."
I bought Shakeology at the strong recommendation of my voice teacher. I did not like the smell at all, and disliked how thick it is (I am far more used to other protein powders).
Anyway ... I am struggling a LOT with not feeling full, and my teacher said that it's one of the things Shakeology can help with.
So ... today I made a batch, using Bolthouse's vanilla chai (the only way I can really mask the smell).
Still too thick.
However, I did discover that the powder, sprinkled on oatmeal, is not bad.
Given that a full serving the powder is very low in sugar, seems like it might be a lunch alternative.
Onward!

Replies

• pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Which flavor do you have? Some are certainly better tasting than others :)
  • MrOFM
    MrOFM Posts: 41
    Options
    Well here is the thing the new formula has a weird smell and has an aftertaste that the old one didn't.

But the new one has way better things in it for your body. It will help you when your hungry just replace one of your meal with it. That stuff cost a good amount but it is very good for you and can help knock down some cals.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CHOCOLATE ONE! BEST TASTING ONE PERIOD!

The new one has less protein overall, but since its not JUST whey, but now includes plant proteins (which assimilates in the body easier), your body actually can use MORE of the available protein. You are getting a much BETTER formula.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to post on the Shakeology boards, as I understand people get harrassed by "coaches."
    I bought Shakeology at the strong recommendation of my voice teacher. I did not like the smell at all, and disliked how thick it is (I am far more used to other protein powders).
    Anyway ... I am struggling a LOT with not feeling full, and my teacher said that it's one of the things Shakeology can help with.
    So ... today I made a batch, using Bolthouse's vanilla chai (the only way I can really mask the smell).
    Still too thick.
    However, I did discover that the powder, sprinkled on oatmeal, is not bad.
    Given that a full serving the powder is very low in sugar, seems like it might be a lunch alternative.
    Onward!

Don't they have a 100% guarantee?, return it if you dislike it. It's pretty much overpriced garbage anyways
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Well here is the thing the new formula has a weird smell and has an aftertaste that the old one didn't.

But the new one has way better things in it for your body. It will help you when your hungry just replace one of your meal with it. That stuff cost a good amount but it is very good for you and can help knock down some cals.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CHOCOLATE ONE! BEST TASTING ONE PERIOD!

The new one has less protein overall, but since its not JUST whey, but now includes plant proteins (which assimilates in the body easier), your body actually can use MORE of the available protein. You are getting a much BETTER formula.

That is good to know ... I thought I had lost my mind, as both my voice teacher and best friend (who also takes lesssons with the same teacher) thought I was crazy to be complaining about the smell.

I did get the chocolate, and yes, it does taste great. I also discovered that soy milk products make it clump, but it dissolves well in water. So I figure that from time to time I can use it to supplement, or deal with hunger pangs at night ... and definitely sprinkle it on oatmeal with a little pumpkin pie spice :)
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    Why would you force yourself to drink it if you don't like it?

I can think of many ways I'd rather use my calories than forcing down something that tastes & smells disagreeable to me!
  • JDMRoma
    JDMRoma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh we have a comedian here !!! Nice !

Seriously I would use one of the Bullet type blenders with water and some ice....not alot if you dont want it thick.
    Also try cutting down the amount, 3/4s of a scoop and see if that helps with the thickness

I have the new Superfood formula and have yet to have an after taste...but I drink it cold and kind of thick
  • Maddalen101
    Options
    Why am I drinking it?
    1. I don't like to waste money, and it was expensive.
    2. I saw my voice teacher lose more than 100 lbs, steadily and healthily, using it.
    3. I'm rather enjoying the process of figuring out how to make it work.
  • pstansel74
    Options
    I recommend it with 12oz almond milk. Works great.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Shakeology since the day it came out. I drink chocolate regular and the new vegan. I also drink greenberry. I make mine with 1 cup of unsweetened chocolate almond milk, 5 ice cubes and 1 cup of water for the chocolate flavors. You need a blender or its just not going to taste right. For the greenberry I use 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk or unsweetened coconut milk and 5 ice cubes. I have been doing it this way for a long time. It was way too thick for me in the beginning and I just found that by watering it down some and adding ice it not only thins it out but it taste better. Try it and see. You can also just fill your powder up to the line that's in the measuring scoop and make it that way to tame it down a little, and drink it twice a day instead.
    Also if you don't like it send it back after 30 days and get your money back minus S&H.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why am I drinking it?
    1. I don't like to waste money, and it was expensive.
    2. I saw my voice teacher lose more than 100 lbs, steadily and healthily, using it.
    3. I'm rather enjoying the process of figuring out how to make it work.

She didnt lose weight from shakeology, she lost it from eating less calories than she expended. Its calories in vs calories out. You get the same effect from eating food or replacing shakeology with another protein shake. I prefer muscle milk, eas or body fortress.
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Whew! I thought I was the only one who has been experiencing the weird smell and after taste with the new Super Food formula. I loved the old formula and understand why they made the change. I'm going to finish my bag, but have canceled my auto-ship.
  • Maddalen101
    Options
    PStansel74 - I just got some almond milk - never have had it before! I will be trying it next week with Shakeology, and will post my reaction. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • pstansel74
    Options
    No problem, I use unsweetened because its sweet enough with the shakeology :)