walking wearing and HRM

Options
I get really high calorie burn numbers from my HRM when all I am doing is walking at 3mph. I have a Polar FT4 with a chest strap and it's set up correctly with my age, RHR, height, weight, gender, etc... Are HRM supposed to be used for just walking exercise?... Or are you supposed to wear them just for other types of cardio exercise?... I wasn't sure if maybe they weren't accurate with plain walking...?

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am looking into buying one of those so will anxiously await answers. right now all I have is a fitbit (which registers the burn a different way) ..but it seems kind of accurate to me. I've never used a HRM.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    They're not totally accurate for anything. But in the same breath, they're better than just about anything else. I can't see any reason why they would be any less accurate for walking. What kind of numbers are you getting? Calorie burn-wise and heart rate-wise.
  • MMSelig
    MMSelig Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    watch your heart rate. If I go on a brisk walk or a slow jog - my heart rate is 160s and sometimes into the 170s- and my husbands is pretty low maybe 130s. I hope they are close to accurate. I input height, weight and age etc. I like that I can start to gauge how much effort I am putting in by my heart rate. If I need to slow down and walk - fine. If I dip below 150 I pick it up and jog again. whats your heart rate like?