Paleo and 'carb-flu'

Options
AnR28
AnR28 Posts: 56 Member
Hoping anyone out there who has changed their lifestyle to a paleo/primal and went through any withdrawal symptoms similar to flu? I've read a lot about it on other paleo/primal sites (MDA e.g.). I wanted to see if anyone on MFP lives that way and/or has any tips on diving 'all in' or slowly changing your meals over time.

Thanks!

Replies

• orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I didn't do paleo, I did keto, but you also experience carb flu symptoms with keto

I wouldn't say I jumped right in, just because I was trying to lower my carb intake anyway before keto. I barely noticed a difference, no major headaches, lots of energy, and the cravings stopped after a week or two (the only craving that remained was chocolate).

I would say jump right in and stick with it
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Type in Paleo or Primal under the 'Groups' and there is a few groups where you can find support and have questions answered:)
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto and had the carb-flu for about 2-3 days after I started. Didn't really get my energy up for about a week or two.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would say jump right in and stick with it

I experienced withdrawal when I went Paleo... it doesn't last too long. Your body is just adjusting to the 'good stuff'.

The benefits are awesome so hang in there.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    I did Paleo last year for 6 weeks and it wanted to kill me. I started again about a month ago "all in" and have been fine, same with my hubby. The only non-paleo thing we have is greek yogurt, which some smart paleo people say is fine and some say it's not but we like the nutritional value of it so we each have one every day.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Didn't have it when I got into ketosis, but most swear by drinking a really salty broth to help the symptoms. Best of luck!
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    here is some great information on ketosis:: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php

and if you'd like to read more about paleo check out nerd fitness...com (google it if you will)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    the crappy feeling you get before ketosis sucks, but is so worth it. once you get into ketosis you will LOVE the feeling!
    the more you go in/out of ketosis, the easier the carb flu will be on you. i don't even notice anymore.

i <3 ketosis. it really is a godsend.