New to MyFitnessPal!!

Options
Hello,
My name is Rachel and I am from California. A friend told me about this website and I have to say I love it so far! I was keeping track of calorie intake and exercise by hand but this makes it so much easier for me. I recently signed up for a competition called Bakersfield's Biggest Loser at my local gym (Body Xchange) and there are 315 patricipants. We weigh in every saturday and at the end of 3 months the person who loses the highest percent of their body weight wins 15,000 dollars! I am very motivated and am working very hard at the gym. The beginning date was Jan. 2, 2010 and I weighed in at 261.6. We weigh in tomorrow and I am hoping I did very well. I lost 11 lbs in the first week and the past 2 weeks I think I have lost about 10lbs so I am doing pretty good. If you would like to be friends for motivational support just add me as a friend. Wish me luck!!!!!

Rachel valley

Replies

• cchildr
    Options
    The contest sounds so cool. Have fun!
  • mimi15
    mimi15 Posts: 1
    Options
    Tonight is my first night on this site, my PCP recommended it and put me on a health/diet plan thru their office. I am 206 pounds and want to weigh 135 to 140 . I am 5'4. I am 47 years old and my husband and I are raising our five year old grandaughter. It is completely a labor of love, she is the sunshine/love of our lives! I want to be healthy enough to babysit her children someday! We are all she has and I feel very guilty risking my health and her future security by continuing to be obese. I am worried and also angry with myself for the sense of powerlessness I feel. I know my weight issues stem from some psychological issues, I have struggled for many years with binges/sweets/fast food. I know I am self medicating, it all makes sense when I say it or write it down but yet, I can't seem to stop . I just ate my fourth donut of the day and still feel compelled to go and eat something else. Each day I say this is the day I will begin to do well and by the end of the day I have eaten something completely forbidden again. I have a wonderful husband and a job working from home, I am so blessed in so many ways....why can't I just stop repeating this cycle? I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer...how do I control myself mentally?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    $15,000?? Holy crap!! If that's not motivation I don't know what is. Good luck with your journey and keep your eye on the prize...not only the money but your health and that rockin' new bod you will have at the end of it all :wink:
  • aionsnow
    aionsnow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey Mimi15,

Sounds like you (and me too a few years ago) are unable (or at least feel that way) to control yourself when it comes to food. What helped me is once every 4 to 6 weeks fast for 24hours. It sounds stupid, but for me it was important for me to learn self-control. Now I choose what I want to eat, not eating just because... Let me be clear I do NOT think that you should fast to lose weight. But it sounds like when it comes to food you have not learned to be self-controlled... Fasting does not have to be limited to food but in any area of your life where you have lost control of a behavior, simply stopping what your addicted to for even a short time just to say "I have a choice." TV, drugs, food, alcohol, gambling or whatever got you.

If you cannot even fast for one day you will struggle on any exercise or weight loss program.

Fasting is primarily the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time.

Snow
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    Hey Mimi15,

If you cannot even fast for one day you will struggle on any exercise or weight loss program.

Snow

BS Alert.

Doug
  • dfly22000
    dfly22000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm new too! Good luck with your goals.