Any success stories from fibromyalgia sufferers?

Options
Would love to see some success stories from any who have had to live with fibromyalgia. This is my problem and I'd love some encouragment that I can have success.

Replies

• socoolnanny
    socoolnanny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same here, I have fibromyalgia and arthritis, 54 years old and 40lb to lose. I have been informed (reliably) that the low carb high fat way is the way to go. Have lapsed and am starting again this week, 2nd day and already have succombed to BREAD :} Good luck.
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have Fibro, and 2 weeks ago, started really cutting down on carbs and white flour, and it isn't a cure, but I do feel better. I also got a B12 shot that has helped with the energy.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I have arthritis really bad. 2 of my best friends have it and they swear I have it. I am going to have my Dr. check when I go to him on the 13th. I still want to hear the responses of more. The B12 shot sounds like something worth trying.:smile:
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I have Fibro, and 2 weeks ago, started really cutting down on carbs and white flour, and it isn't a cure, but I do feel better. I also got a B12 shot that has helped with the energy.

Red I already cut way back on carbs and flour too.
  • ssanderbrink
    ssanderbrink Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too suffer with fibromyalgia, I have a lot of weight to lose. This last year has been my most successful year. I lost 40lbs but have since put 7lbs back on. Although I did lose the weight early in the year and maintained for 6mos. I am back and trackiing again. I lost by eating mostly protien and fruits and veggies. I must admit I felt way better then. I have been eating a lot of things that are hard on me. But determined to remove weight gain and then some. I am swimming 3 days a week doing laps. So In three months I hope to remove what I gained plus 20lbs. I keep hoping that the more weight I remove the easier this will be. But each day is a new day sometimes challenging and sometimes easy. Praying for all those who suffer and know how it feels to have something that others dont see and dont understand.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I've had Fibro for nearly 20 years now, I find reducing sulphites and preservatives from my diet works the best for symptom reduction. But as far as weight loss, I've had good success with MFP, have lost 20 lbs so far and many inches... I've just reduced calorie intake and portion size but I haven't eliminated anything other than the above. I don't take in a lot of refined carbs, but I do eat white bread and pasta/potatoes occasionally and enjoy them. Everyone is completely different though and what works for one may not for another, unfortunately it's rather trial and error. I've also been able to really increase my exercise levels, I only walk but I've increased both the distance and pace. It isn't easy and there are days when I couldn't be bothered, but it's worth the effort and I can see the results. Good luck to us all.....
  • CindyAnnJohns
    Options
    Thank you to all who have offered advice and encouragement. I'll ask my doctor about B12 shots, too. There are some days I feel so tired that each arm feels like it weighs 50 lbs. There are many benefits to being a healthy weight and I hope that less pain will be one of them.
  • dietcokaholic2
    Options
    I take it one day at a time. As you guys know it's definitely not easy but it can be done! My best to you all! Warm hugs, gentle onesones!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I was originally diagnosed with fibro in February of this year, and then I was re-diagnosed by a different doctor with Celiac Disease. Once I went gluten free my pain went away.... No more joint pain, achy muscles, nothing! I had other neurological symptoms that took longer to improve, but I no longer have tremors now and my neuropathy is much better.

The bad part was that gluten free substitutes made me sick to my stomach, so I eat primarily paleo. Fruits, veggies, meat... and the occasional wine! I have lost over 20lbs, and feel as good as I did before my health started to deteriorate a few years ago!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My fibro went away after I gave up High Fructose corn syrup. I also avoid msg and as many preservatives as I can.
  • lhulewsky
    Options
    Not to be stupid but what does the response "Bump!" mean?
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with Fibro, my Dr. told me that basically it's just them not knowing what is causing the pain. This was quite a few years ago and I cut out a lot of processed foods and it went away...but, it flared back up worse than ever last fall and I found some info that made me think it might be a Vitamin D Deficiency (never in pain in the summer when I'm outside a lot!) so, I started taking large doses of Vit D (5000-10000 IU a day) and within 3 weeks my Fibro was gone. When I stopped taking the D for a few days, it started to come back, so now I get ample sun or take my D! Everyone seems to have something different that helps, but I thought I would put it out there for anyone looking b/c it's just not the kind of pain that anyone should have to suffer with, if it can be helped!
  • lhulewsky
    Options
    Bump!

What does this mean?
  • rpounds1957
    rpounds1957 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My wife has fibro. She will be 52 years old next month. We joined MFP last April and she has lost over 20 pounds in that time - from around 160 to about 140. It is a chore for her to exercise, but she walks with me and she rides a stationary bike that she keeps in her office at home. It can be done, although it may be a rough road. The rule of more calories burned than consumed still applies.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    BUMP just means that they are posting to "bump" the thread back up to the top of the page.
  • GoldSag1
    GoldSag1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from Fibro, but my Auntie does. She has lost weight by doing water exercises 5-days a week and reducing carbs/sugar. You can do this, just find what works for you and run with it. :wink:
  • AbigailThurston
    Options
    I have had success revitalizing my health after fibromyalgia. I was sick, 50 lbs overweight, in pain and exhausted. I'm feeling much better now and helping others learn how to avoid making the mistakes I made.

My weight stabilized at my pre fibro weight and I have energy to east coast dance these days. I'm feeling great. You can do it too!

Take responsibility for your health, talk to others who have had success. It was a lifestyle makeover that gave me my life back. I am healthier in so many ways. I changed my diet, drank water, gentle exercise, let go of emotional baggage, improved my sleep....

I'm dancing with fibro now.

Hope this helps.

Abigail
  • velvetwing
    velvetwing Posts: 142
    Options
    Im just wondering how you all get started or get moving in what I call pain days. Im in pain every single day for many many years but some days are worse than others. I went off meds because they made me sick and only helped mildly with the pain. Mornings are unbearable and by the time I get off work.... you guessed it Im exaused and more pain. I get depressed because of the pain and the weight but I desperately need to get healthy. What type of exercises do you do and how often? what works? I know there is a limit for most sufferers and you need to learn to listen to your body as to not overdo it or once again the pain just gets worse.... looking for any tips
  • dizneedana
    dizneedana Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too have fibromyalgia and just started this journey on MFP. I also have very low vitamin D levels. I try to exercise as much as possible with my favorite being swimming. It is easier on me than anything else. I wish I could exercise and do something like Insanity but I would end up in bed for a week. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. Baby steps are better than no steps! Dana
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!