Help! I think my Polar FT4's batteries died!

Options
Hi All,

I've had my Polar FT4 for almost two years now, and the battery (or batteries) have never died. During my workout today, my watch kept saying, "Check Heart Transmitter", was making weird beeps, gave me a heart rate of 215 and then 0.....and that was it. I think the batteries are gone! What do I do? I don't know how to replace the batteries for this thing, or if that's what this even is. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
:) Lisa

Replies

• aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    it could be batteries,mine says check heart monitor to and i just got it you might've not had it on right,most likely batteries
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Definitely the batteries. I have the same exact hrm. I just brought it to walmart to the jewelry section and they changed the batteries for me.
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Do you remember how much it was for the battery change at Walmart? Also, is it the battery in the black snap-on piece that needs replacing or the watch or both? :)

Thanks!!
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i replaced both, my watch was blinking (a little battery) and the transmitter on band. i took mine to the local jeweler and it was $18. it fixed it for a week called polar and the told me to scrub the snap parts with a toothbrush did that it worked for a while and now isnt working again. so i am sending it to them. good luck to you
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a similar Ft Polar and have had it for four years. I have changed the battery once. I took it to Fred Meyer and
    they were able to change it for me. Usually it starts doing strange things when the battery is going. If you send it in
    to the Polar Company they will also check the transmitter for you. I did that with my first one. They offered to fix it
    or sell me a new one. I decided at that time to buy a new one directly from the company.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The FT4 has an battery that is easily replaceable. On the back of both the watch and transmitter there is a slot in a circular battery cover. You have to turn the battery cover about 5 degrees to open the back. The best thing to use for this procedure is a US nickel. Don't use a screwdriver. The plastic is relatively soft and you'll end up stripping out the slot and then it will be very hard if not impossible to open.

Don't take it to a jeweler as it would be a waste of money. Polar redesigned their watches to allow user replacement of the batteries. Older models required that you send the unit back to Polar for replacement as it was a tricky procedure that often ended up destroying the watches waterproof seal. This is no longer the case.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth from Jersey to Eastern LI and drop mine off in Lake Success at Polar and pick up few hours later they check out both battries and change as necessary between me and my son we have a few last time it was about $8 each if not sure call them
  • estrellita0
    estrellita0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what type of battery to buy? I have a 3V from Energizer but it's too big for the watch.
  • estrellita0
    estrellita0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I figured it out. It's actually written on the back cover of the watch. I took it to Radio Shack and the guy knew from the number on the back of the watch what battery I needed. I changed it right at the store and it worked!