OCD and weight loss

Options
Has anyone seen a therapist for OCD and it affecting weight loss or food addiction? I am thinking about going to a therapist I do really well for a few weeks then my OCD gets in the way. I start obsessing about not loosing weight and obsessing that I am going to gain weight even if I am under my calorie goal and walking almost everyday or jogging a few times a week. I do not "diet" but am watching my portion control. Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you seriously have clinical OCD then this is not a question for the general public. If you are truely obsessed then take steps to limit how much time and energyyou put into it ie. Plan your day in the morn then follow and forget :-)
  • IamL
    IamL Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have OCD. However, it is not nearly as bad as it was when I was a child. (I worked very, very hard to stop my compulsive behavior, and the obsessions gradually reduced.) But in certain situations, I can feel my OCD start to resurface. When I first began counting calories on MFP, I experienced something similar to you. Watching the numbers add up terrified me, and I was so afraid of even reaching my calorie goal that sometimes I would only eat about 700 calories in one day. I was terrified that I wouldn't lose weight and felt like I should be exercising 24/7.

I still have troubles with these things occasionally, but I keep forcing myself to look at things logically and calm down. Calories don't freak me out anymore, but I still feel like exercising compulsively. I know thinking about something logically does not make the obsessions go away, but when my OCD starts resurfacing, I refuse to act on it. Follow logic, and try as hard as you can to not go through with the compulsions. It's torture, but that's how I got over the worst part of my OCD. (I didn't have the option to see a therapist.) I will warn you that it takes an incredible amount of willpower, but just know that you are strong enough to fight it.

-L
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    Hey there. I have severe OCD and struggle with this exact issue. I am on my way out the door to head home, but will post on this topic again later this evening. Just didn't want you to think no one was going to respond.
  • mskimber99
    Options
    i do as well 20 yr year ago my husband literally drop kicked the scale out the bathroom window as i was constantly weighing myself and driving everyone crazy...this past february when i announced i was going to lose weight (18 pounds down yay me) everyone groaned...the regular scale drove me crazy i started the usual weighing myself constantly...

my husband made me deal - he got me a weight watchers scale and i could have a ritual..i get up,..pee, weigh,,,eye it distrustfully while the number rolls around in my brain,,,brush my teeth worry over the number, take a shower, weigh - go get my husband - whose weight never changes - he weighs himself - then i weigh again and whatever the number says that is what i am for the day...no more weighing...

i am also a chronic under eater and have been for years trying to eat more calories and i will worry when i see those calories add up at the bottom of my diary - so for my birthday he got me a FITBIT so i can fuss and worry over those numbers instead but those are positive numbers....the higher the numbers the better for me, more steps taken, more miles walked, more stairs climbed.. now i get a lil crazy that i have a high defict and i have eaten breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack and i am not hungry. i am just a work in progress i guess.
  • tamlynne32
    Options
    Hi hun! I do have OCD and talk with my therapist about it! It affects me with weight loss big time because once I decide to try to lose weight that is all my life is about, I am completely obsessed and focused on that and its just really messing with my life. I end up getting really hard on myself, I definitely recommend seeing a therapist, shes slowly helping me!