How the heck do you cook tilapia????

Options

Replies

• Swizzle1986
    Options
    tin foil, salt and pepper, grill for 15 minutes. DELISH!!
  • saamantha
    Options
    I make Pizza Tilapia. I lay the tilapia on a tin-foil lined pan, then put 1-2 tbsp of salsa on top of it, add any veggies I want and a tiiiny sprinkle of skim mozza, then bake it at 350F for 15 minutes :) It rarely falls apart and tastes amaaazing.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You can steam it with chicken broth. Really good and super healthy.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Its suppose to fall apart. Thats how you know its done.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I bake it with pineapple salsa :)
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    tilapia is a very delicate, flaky fish. it's going to fall apart pretty much how ever you cook it. i usually bake it in a dish w/ lemon pepper seasoning then use a spatula to get it out and it works pretty well. :)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Fresh tilapia - marinate for one hour in a porcelain coated cast iron pan [for even heat] with fresh squeezed lime juice and a small amount of olive oil. Also add spices and extras [this week I added sliced poblano peppers and crushed garlic cloves] to taste. Fry on stove top at medium for 5-6 minutes each side, turn carefully with large spatula.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Scrambled :D Like eggs!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Put some lemon juice and seasonings on it and throw it in the microwave in a covered dish for a few minutes.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Any way you like. Tilapia is one of the most versatile fish out there. It takes flavor very well, de-bones easily and goes with or in pretty much what ever.

If you are worried about it falling apart you may be over cooking it. If you like your fish well done as I do there are numerous different methods to cook it. If you can find banana leafs those work great for wrapping and steaming fish. Grill baskets are an option. The best is to simply cook the entire fish.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've baked it, cooked it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil and even grilled it on my george foreman grill. Turns out good every time.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I also think that you may be overcooking it. I bake mine in the oven in a foil packet seasoned with lemon pepper. 400 for 15 - 20 min ( i buy the thicker filets)......in fact, I am making some tonight for dinner
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I have no idea why so many people think that's how you know when Tilapia is done or that's how it always is. I've had it numerous times with my boyfriend who loves it. It's never fallen apart when he's cooked it, and I've only cooked it once and it never has fallen apart. We cut it into 3 pieces and either fry it in the frying pan or toss it into one of the multiple Filipino soups he makes. I'd say that people are over cooking it if it's falling apart.
  • rf169606
    rf169606 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For an easy dinner I sautee minced garlic in a little bit of olive oil and butter add lemon juice and parsely and pour it over 2 filets in a baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. It is usually done at that point but not falling apart quite yet

Yummy!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    On a foil sheet put small amout of butter. Place the fillet on top of the butter. Season the fillet with some Paul Prudhomme seafood magic. Add some thinly sliced lemons and dice sweet onion. Seal up the foil to form a tent and poke one small hole for venting. Cook for 6 -7 minutes on the grill. Quick to prepare and it's tasty.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

I have no idea why so many people think that's how you know when Tilapia is done or that's how it always is. I've had it numerous times with my boyfriend who loves it. It's never fallen apart when he's cooked it, and I've only cooked it once and it never has fallen apart. We cut it into 3 pieces and either fry it in the frying pan or toss it into one of the multiple Filipino soups he makes. I'd say that people are over cooking it if it's falling apart.

Completely agreed. I eat tilapia multiple times a month and I have never had an issue with it falling apart.
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like to pan sear mine with fajita seasoning & lime then top it off after with mango salsa! Delish! :)
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    broil 4 min on one side flip gently 4 min on the other flip gently 4 more min and you are done :) I have a variety of sauces I like but my usual is to just sprinkle both sides with some Seafood Magic seasoning :) low cal and yummy!
  • MetamorphosisMe
    MetamorphosisMe Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Broil it 3 minutes each side. (about 4 inches from the heat source) Holds up pretty good.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I either bake it in the oven with some lemon pepper seasoning on it for 35 min on 350 OR lately we have been doing it on the stove with a little bit of butter spray, lemon pepper seasoning, and some lime (which we put on right before it's done). Super good! I eat it about 2-4 times a week.

Oh the fish I'm cooking is also frozen. We buy it in big bags from Wal-Mart