Dismantling the Automatic Circuits

Options
After the emotionally exhausting message that I posted yesterday morning about Old Reliable, I promised myself that I would not write on here again until next week. However, I had one of those "AHA" moments that helped me to learn alot about my dysfunctional relationship with food this morning. If just one person benefits from reading this, then it is worth the time spent writing it.

Yesterday, I completed a brief to the Supreme Court of Texas. This morning, I had a 9am hearing in Rockport, Tx., on a motion for new trial. Now, normally, a 9am docket call is no big deal. I am a morning person and happy to get productive earlier in the day than later. However, Rockport is a sleepy little fishing and water recreation village located right on the Gulf of Mexico 30 miles north of Corpus Christi, Texas. More important for purposes of this story-- Rockport is 170 miles south of Houston. In order to both make the 3 hour drive to Rockport and be completely prepared for this morning's hearing (involving sufficiency of the evidence to support attorney's fees awarded in a summary judgment), I needed to be awake at 3am. Now, I may be a morning person, but 3am is usually right smack dab between my first and second trips to the little litigator's room overnight. Nevertheless, I set my alarm and did what I had to do. After shepardizing the main cases to be discussed and outlining my notes, I jumped in my car and pointed it south toward Rockport on Highway 59 around 5:10 a.m.

Before I reached the highway entrance ramp, I instinctively steered into the driveway to Whataburger. I reached the window and started to automatically order what, over the years, had become my "usual." A couple of sausage, egg and cheese taquitos, a couple of hash browns and ... yeah, you guessed it... a Diet Coke. As if that caramel colored, artificially sweetened bubble water would magically wash over my breakfast and begin furiously pulling the calories out of it. When the server in the drive thru lane asked what I wanted, I literally opened my mouth, froze, then realized that maybe I ought to quickly calculate what my breakfast would do to the rest of my eating day. Let's see... 900 calories for the taquitos, 400 for the hash browns... EEK!!! 1300 calories, oodles and gobs of bad fat, and more than my daily allotment of sodium for my "on the fly" 5:30 am breakfast.

I knew I needed to eat because I was really, REALLY hungry. But I knew that I could do better than 1300 calories and all of my day's sodium and saturated fat. After some quick figuring on my smartphone, I realized that I could have an egg mcmuffin with an extra egg and no cheese for 330 calories and much less fat and sodium. I even added 2 hash browns for 140 calories each, to come up with a filling AND satisfying 610 calorie breakfast. Lots of protein from the eggs, some carbs from the hash browns, and much needed caffeine from the 33 gallon garbage can sized Diet Coke (I exaggerate, but that sucker was huge).

Before this message precipitates a lot of strident "you could have had a much better quick breakfast if you..." responses, I do know that with some better planning, I could have gone in a much more healthy and nutritious direction. And perhaps when I am further down this wonderful path to better health, I would have. But for me, cutting 690 calories and lots of sodium and saturated fat off of my intended breakfast is a step in the right direction. More to the point, it was a big step in recognizing and then severing the automatic circuit in my brain between going on a "road trip" in my car and "rewarding myself" with whatever I wanted to eat because I was being productive and having to take a long car trip.

Hours later, after having my motion for new trial granted and the final judgment vacated, I left the courthouse. It was a brutal argument, lasting about 40 minutes with a lot of emotional back and forth between me and opposing counsel. I have a definite memory of getting in my minivan and being ready to pull out of the courthouse parking lot.

Writers use the phrase "the next thing I remember," as a creative writing device. I am not doing that here. I was so jazzed from the argument and the good result for my client that, quite literally, after putting the vehicle in reverse, the next thing I remember is being in the parking lot of a McDonalds a few blocks from the Aransas County Courthouse. I am so programmed to seek out emotionally satisfying (numbing?) junk food, that my mind went on autopilot and unconsciously steered my car to the nearest junk factory. I pulled into the parking lot. Before I opened the car door, I realized that since the hearing was over, I had time to feed myself with real food rather than junk food. Ten minutes later, I walked out of a nearby grocery store (HEB, if that matters) with my bag of reduced sodium turkey breast, 2 cups of fresh pineapple, 2 cups of assorted berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries), and two liters of water.

So here it is, 2pm. I am quite satisfied (food wise), and have lots of calories left for the rest of the day. But that is not the important part of what happened. As a result of my 5am to 1:30pm business round trip, I now understand that there are certain external cues that put my unconscious internal eating machine into "high gear." Going on "road trips" is definitely one of them. I learned that by being conscious of the choices that I made, I was able to cut over half of the calories that I initially intended to eat. I learned that if I had planned ahead, I could have done even better by preparing a satisfying large cup of nonfat or low fat cottage cheese and assorted fruits, or oatmeal and assorted fruits for half-again of the calories and a fraction of the fat and sodium that I actually consumed. Finally, I learned that even though my court experience was a positive one, with positive results, being on an adrenalin high from strenuously arguing my client's points once again revved up my unconscious eating apparatus. Without the pressure of time constraints, I took the time to trade a junk pit stop for a nutritious and satisfying snack that filled my belly and nourished my body for the trip back to Houston.

They say that recognizing a problem is the first step in solving it. While this morning involved a 350 mile roundtrip drive, I think it included an even bigger step for me in dismantling the automatic circuits that have contributed mightily to my dysfunctional relationship with food over the years. I may not be where I want to go, but taking steps like this morning, I'm confident I will get there.

Have a wonderful rest of your Thursday.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic! You WILL see yourself meet your goals. Keep on going, you are doing great :)
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats on begining to understand the mechanisms that got you to where you were before starting this journey. Without the mental adjustment of why we eat in excess/unhealthy it is impossible to maintain the weight loss and healthy lifestyle that we look to achieve! Thanks again for sharing your story.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    Sounds like you're on your way to re-wiring that circuit board inside your head.

NSV !!!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Way to go,
    You are soo going to make it if you keep up with better food choices like that.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • nc_moon_beam
    nc_moon_beam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are a fabulous writer and a huge motivator.

YOU.ROCK.

That is all.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Congrats on another success, my friend. And also thanks for opening (at the very least) MY eyes. :happy:
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Amazing. I'm grateful you found the time to post this.
  • ba18ba18a
    Options
    Way to go Scott. Mind over mind...is that what happened today. What a GREAT NSV!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Just knowing that you have an auto-drive that takes to bad food joints is a huge deal! Now you can even put a note to prep food to take with you on your schedule when you have those kinds of days. I'm so happy for your break through!
  • scandiebirdie
    scandiebirdie Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Scott, you rock!!! You work like a Trojan (getting up @ 3 AM - been there, done that and it can almost only be done on bad calories. MY brain and body, for instance, seem to think cals don't count if eaten at extreme fatigue, stress or super early starts.

Having had a particularly sh*tty year where I lost my beloved grandma to bowel cancer and am in the process of losing my dad - her 1st born - to the same horrible disease and working 12 hr days, I'm with you on the stress or emotional eating. For my part, MY habit qquickly became to mindlessly stuff highly calorific food in my face whenever I could barely breathe w stress (and fear and sorrow).

I got that - I realised it, and am changing it Big Time. My journey is not going to be as long as yours, but recognising the patterns that have made us the weight we are and the food habits we have is key to changing things towards a happier, healthier - and lighter - lifestyle.

Bit of a rambling, unconstructed message, but am tapping it out on the 'smart phone'. The gist is: you just described a big step in cracking bad habits. You rock, Scott, you rock!!
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    I have had similar problems with National Guard weekends, where I have a 3 hour drive to get there and live in a motel for the weekend....

The first such weekend on MFP it blew me away how many calories I was eating.

Like you I tackled it from a "Do better" standpoint,.... not a "Be Perfect" idea

And if you go to Rockport without getting some redfish or ocean trout you are missing something
    :)
    (marinate and gill...... delicious)
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story with us/me. I enjoyed it and I am your cheerleader!!!!!
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    There's a saying in OA (and probably AA, too): Awareness, Acceptance, Action. Also known as the Three A's. Sounds like you were able to get to all three. Big kudoses on the awareness stuff, though! That can be a huge challenge.
  • DawnMcUK
    DawnMcUK Posts: 53
    Options
    Changing the habits of a lifetime is a big thing, and we all wish we could do that, but find even the thought of reprogramming our thoughts and actions a daunting task. You were alone on that road trip, it was very early and fiinding nourishment was obviously programmed into the normal routine of those kinds of trips...you could have gone ahead as you would have done even just a few months ago, or, had you been travelling with family/colleagues you could have gone for the peer pressure of either ordering normally or ordering to impress them.

You were alone. The only person you wanted to impress was yourself, and that my friend is a great breakthrough in self belief as well as breaking the automatic habits that can cost us so dearly. You made a conscious decision to be better when nobody but you could have, or would have known what you had eaten otherwise. That is fantastic, inspiring and god damn impressive at this early stage of your journey...

Kudos
  • plmtrprsn
    plmtrprsn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Posts like this are why I asked to be your friend. You are so inspiring to those who read your posts (yours truely included) that it would be impossible not to be a better me after reading about you becoming a better you!

Kudos from Michigan. You are my hero!
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great topic! My auto circuits take me to the sugar aisle at the grocery store on my way home from work. I 'reward' myself after a hard day. But all it does is trigger a sugar binge. So today, I won't get candy at the store. I'll think of this post and remember why I joined MFP originally. I've been on a plateau since May and feeling sorry for myself. No more of that! Just keep on doing the next thing!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Great lesson learned!
    I've got a lot more lessons like this too learn :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. There is a always a lesser of two evils - and you came up with two goods - and thanks for a great idea when traveling through Texas on business… I will definelty drop into a grocery store for "road trip" food vs fast food next time!
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to be your friend on here! You are awesome:-) Have you always been a good writer?
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Can I recommend a program series on uk tv? It is called secret eaters and is a channel 4 program, it can be viewed on the channel 4 web site.

You have worked out the strategies for yourself- what insight.

Jas